Six Thousand Pounds a day from most lucrative bus lane on John Dobson street Newcastle. (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Typical that both the RAC and other organisations are blaming the council.

It really is quite simple, just don't drive down an illegal road, that's clearly signposted as a bus lane.

They could reduce the fine, but wouldn't that simply encourage more to flaunt it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
If the signage is all correct I don't have a problem with the amount of money being made ,hopefully it will help to keep other taxes down.
As an ex bus /coach driver the ones that really annoyed me were the vehicles that were just enough over the line to impead my progress without getting caught.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Apparently press exaggeration. 6K per day was in the immediate aftermath of the system's introduction 4 years ago. Now it averages about 4K per month. Council spokesman really took the wind out of John Humphries' sails :LOL:

Dick

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A lot of times the bus lane is not fit for purpose. Yes, it allows more effective transit for buses for a limited distance. The problem is that it reduces the flow of other vehicles. There are many complaints that we've got more and more traffic so what happens? They reduce the amount of available roadway.
I appreciate that the system is to try to get more people using public transport but no matter how much you put into public transport, people still want to use their car because they cannot or don't have the time to catch 2 or 3 buses each way to work and back.
Yes, our local tram stations have increased car parking space and it's full every work day but the tram and train is not taking Road space in the main (yes, some Road space was used but limited)
I agree that buses should have efficient transit routes by a bus lane but not by reducing the road space for other traffic. They took 2 years to put a bus lane down the East Lancashire Road and I've only seen a few buses on it yet there are thousands of cars now crushed into 1 or 2 lanes where it used to be 2 or 3 lanes. Just round the corner, Salford has suspended the bus lanes near Hope Hospital (now possibly Salford Royal) and it eases the area and everyone's traffic time is similar.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Its a pity that other cities are not as innovative as Liverpool. The city scrapped bus lanes and found traffic moves much quicker.
Could you imagine the protests by black cab drivers if they attempted that in London....

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Apparently press exaggeration. 6K per day was in the immediate aftermath of the system's introduction 4 years ago. Now it averages about 4K per month. Council spokesman really took the wind out of John Humphries' sails :LOL:
Dick
If it states 6k a day on all todays UK media with regard to very recent survey then that is good enough for me. Radio tv national newspapers etc etc. Verses Glandwr...;)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Traffic cameras on the most lucrative bus lane in England are making £6,000 every day from almost 4,000 drivers. In just eight months more than 60,000 people have been caught driving down John Dobson Street in Newcastle city centre – a 50metre bus lane.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/02/revealed-countrys-most-lucrative-bus-lane-camera-6483559/#ixzz4aFJCu9Z7
I wonder out of the 60,000 caught, how many have been caught multiple times?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Newcastle has 4000 stupid drivers each day driving along John Dobson street. They cant all be that stupid.
Any members from Newcastle like to comment....;)
As a Mackem I really can't give an unbiased comment :reel:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As a Mackem I really can't give an unbiased comment :reel:
Awwwwwwwww, I'm sure you can
images (35).jpg

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Bus lanes, box junctions, traffic light cams and most speed cams are designed and planed as tax collection points. Spinning it and blaming motorist is how they get away with it.:sneaky:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Awwwwwwwww, I'm sure you can
View attachment 150468
Well, if pushed I would have to quote several prominent anthropologists (who coincidentally attend the same pub that I do) who have concluded that, in laymans terms, Geordies are Mackems with their brains beaten out. As anyone south of the Watford Gap think of us as northern monkeys that puts them pretty low on the evolutionary scale. *discaimer - I have several Geordie mates who would happily beat my brains out if they read this so I must point out it's not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt* :boxing:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well, if pushed I would have to quote several prominent anthropologists (who coincidentally attend the same pub that I do) who have concluded that, in laymans terms, Geordies are Mackems with their brains beaten out. As anyone south of the Watford Gap think of us as northern monkeys that puts them pretty low on the evolutionary scale. *discaimer - I have several Geordie mates who would happily beat my brains out if they read this so I must point out it's not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt* :boxing:
Must be a different source. I'd always been reliably informed that north of the wall were Geordies with lobotomy. I may have been misinformed and other nationalities and regional species are available (think I got out of that? Don't mention the war)
images.jpg

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Must be a different source. I'd always been reliably informed that north of the wall were Geordies with lobotomy. I may have been misinformed and other nationalities and regional species are available (think I got out of that? Don't mention the war)
View attachment 150470
Ah our friends The Sweaties. My aforementioned chums believe they are a different species altogether with crossed wires all over the place (skirt-wearers) although having worn a kilt at a wedding at the request of the groom I did find it a rather liberating :wink:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I wonder out of the 60,000 caught, how many have been caught multiple times?
That thought crossed my mind, you have would have to be stupid to get caught more than once in your local area? Are the offenders non-local and fall foul due to poor signage or have found they are heading to it but too late to avoid?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Bus lanes, box junctions, traffic light cams and most speed cams are designed and planed as tax collection points. Spinning it and blaming motorist is how they get away with it.:sneaky:

But it is a voluntary tax isn't it!

Dave

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
It has taken them years and years of hard work and many redesigns to get this just right, I hear that they hope with a few more resigns to push the figure to £10,000 ................

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

If people don't observe or intentionally ignore these items they can hardly complain if they get fined.
Bus lanes are intended to get busses through faster, box junction are to stop inconsiderate prats blocking junctions, traffic light cams are to catch those who drive through red lights endangering others and speed cams are to catch speeders who also endanger others . If drivers get caught they only have themselves to blame and moaning about the fine is a waste of time, at least a fine might encourage them to improve their driving.

True, these things generate income but I doubt there is actually any real evidence to show they are designed to do so. They are placed in locations that make their presence necessary, the income generated is incidental.

Motorists who flout the rules get blamed quite rightly, that's not a spin.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ah our friends The Sweaties. My aforementioned chums believe they are a different species altogether with crossed wires all over the place (skirt-wearers) although having worn a kilt at a wedding at the request of the groom I did find it a rather liberating :wink:
And the old quote? Is anything worn underneath? Nope!!! It's all in perfect working order.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If people don't observe or intentionally ignore these items they can hardly complain if they get fined.
Bus lanes are intended to get busses through faster, box junction are to stop inconsiderate prats blocking junctions, traffic light cams are to catch those who drive through red lights endangering others and speed cams are to catch speeders who also endanger others . If drivers get caught they only have themselves to blame and moaning about the fine is a waste of time, at least a fine might encourage them to improve their driving.

True, these things generate income but I doubt there is actually any real evidence to show they are designed to do so. They are placed in locations that make their presence necessary, the income generated is incidental.

Motorists who flout the rules get blamed quite rightly, that's not a spin.
So now Newcastle drivers are not just stupid, they are inconsiderate prats who need to improve their driving. It must be good to be without sin iandsm.:rolleyes:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Traffic cameras on the most lucrative bus lane in England are making £6,000 every day from almost 4,000 drivers. In just eight months more than 60,000 people have been caught driving down John Dobson Street in Newcastle city centre – a 50metre bus lane.

There is something wrong with these numbers. £6000 per day from 4000 drivers equals a fine of £1.50 ????? In eight months 60000 have been caught equals about 250 per day, not 4000 ?????

Methinks Chinese whispers are taking place, or am I having a stupid day. :clap2:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So now Newcastle drivers are not just stupid, they are inconsiderate prats who need to improve their driving. It must be good to be without sin iandsm.:rolleyes:

I am not without sin, in fact Idid get a speeding fine last year, 35 in a 30 limit, entirely my fault. No whinging.

If you read what I posted I did not refer to people from anywhere in particular. but my comments were general. The next time someone blocks a junction in front of you by stopping in the box, or cuts you up by going through a red light I suppose you will think that's ok.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Bus Lane is empty - you see signs saying 'Bus Only' and that there are 'Bus Lane cameras' - okay but that doesn't apply to me - drive in Bus lane - fined - moan.

And there are thousands of drivers who do the same thing each year - where is Mr Common Sense when you need him?

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back