sites open after lockdown good value ? (1 Viewer)

Geoffla9

Free Member
Mar 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi , i am new to this but i would like to know what others think . After the lockdown my wife and I have had 10 days away on the north east coast in our motorhome . I was unsure what to expect , this is what we found .
First site , a small family farm site near Whitby . Perfect site with fantastic views , toilets and showers closed ( we new this when we booked so no problem ) . Very friendly owners , price of stay the same as on the website before the pandemic . Why do they charge the same with no facilities ? . I think a little reduction would have been appropriate , what do you think ? .
Second site a Caravan and Motorhome Club site near York . Big site with about 80 to 100 vans and caravans , facilities were open but only allowing three people in at any time . You had to leave a band you were issued with on arrival on the hook outside the toilet block, if three hooks full you had to wait for someone to come out . A good idea BUT ! a lot of people forgot to pick up their band when leaving !! . A couple of times i went for a shower i was the only person in with a que of four or five angry men waiting outside. Other time i had to wait up to twenty minutes. The cost of the site was the same as before the lockdown . I found this situation fraught . I think i will wait until next year before going away again .

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Would you prefer that the sites didn't open at all?
Regarding charges under the circumstances it's ok to charge the same
Sites have already lost a big chunk of income
Motorhome are supposed to be self contained thought I know a lot of people prefer to use site facilities where possible us included
I'm sure a lot of folk with Van's will have more or less written this summer off for various reasons
This may be the new normal and people have to choices how they adapt to it
Some will give up motor homing some will take it up

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think expecting to be charged less as the toilet block is closed is a bit too much to expect they probably have a lot more hassle than usual with bookings other cleaning etc than usual. Were off today don't know it the toilet block will be open or not but either way we won't be going in!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We always use our own facilities, but don't expect a discount when we book a site. The sites are doing their best and if they have not put the price up, think yourself lucky. Pubs are charging more, some hairdressers are charging more. People are trying hard to keep their business going, and paying a bit more may be the new norm.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A big shout out for Highlands End in Bridport. All facilities open with plenty of safety measures in place. No problems at all.
We booked last year so can’t comment on any price difference versus today.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We very rarely go to sites so don't have that problem but would you rather have your van sitting on the drive doing nothing for the sake of no discount.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Back yesterday from 11 days with the m/h at the CAMC Southlands site on the Isle of Wight, (booked in March 'by default' as at the time going abroad was uncertain), accompanying my son and his disabled partner with their caravan. This was my first trip in the U.K. since I bought my m/h ten years ago.
The site was immaculate and Covid arrangements first class. We don't do beaches or sitting for hours in the sun (there wasn't much) but having seen Carisbrooke Castle, Osborne House and Morrisons we found that eleven days was about 8 days too long. The island seemed rather shabby. Useful post-winter shakedown trip though.
Off to the Rhine once my washing has dried.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I too was never much impressed with IoW on the short trips for the holiday company to pick up passengers, who got it for free and the company had to pay for return trips at start and end of holiday - very expensive.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I am so glad some sites are opening. Site owners have lost so much income - some have additional costs of extra cleaning, new protocols etc. I expect them to (hope they will) try to make some extra income to tide them through the winter so they are profitable enough to open again next year.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I don't expect many sites to be reducing their charges, or even passing on the VAT change (only applies to new bookings as VAT is charged at the point of invoice).

Even where they have less facilities the sites have had serious costs with no income during the closure period. They still had to maintain the site, keep it secure paying for someone to cut grass, check the electrics, fix potholed roads, and so on. Now they have a short season, and for many they won't operate at full capacity so whatever income they can get from standard charging they will need.

Plus it will be supply and demand. Unless the site was already vastly overpriced, any decent one is now likely to be close to maximum occupancy for the remainder of the summer given so many will now be "staycationing". You only discount your pricing to attract more business.

Upvote 0

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
I don't expect many sites to be reducing their charges, or even passing on the VAT change (only applies to new bookings as VAT is charged at the point of invoice).

Even where they have less facilities the sites have had serious costs with no income during the closure period. They still had to maintain the site, keep it secure paying for someone to cut grass, check the electrics, fix potholed roads, and so on. Now they have a short season, and for many they won't operate at full capacity so whatever income they can get from standard charging they will need.

Plus it will be supply and demand. Unless the site was already vastly overpriced, any decent one is now likely to be close to maximum occupancy for the remainder of the summer given so many will now be "staycationing". You only discount your pricing to attract more business.

I couldn't have put it better myself. If the sites don't survive we will have nowhere to go next year.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Like chaser we always use our own facilities so always pay for something we don’t use. I don’t begrudge the site’s charging “full” price on re-opening, at least we can get away again now.

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'm sorry that you found the situation fraught Geoffla9. I think we are lucky that the sites are open and no, I wouldn't expect a discount for the reasons that others have said.

The way that sites are managing shower blocks & facilities all seem a bit different and it's new to all of us so not surprising that it didn't always run smoothly.

There are lots of different types of sites out there, it seems a shame that you have let this experience put you off until next year.

It's only July, we've no idea if the situation will be better or worse next year so personally I'd try a few more sites. Read the reviews, ask for feedback on here, hopefully you can find something you feel comfortable with and start to enjoy this lovely way of life of ours.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Just had two days at CCC site at Woversley. Facilities open but but every other stall and sink blocked off. Worked well, even with the site full never had to queue

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I had a quick look at some sites for this weekend and was not surprised at the price rises but shocked at how much some of them were, some sites appear to have doubled their summer tariff.
Supply and demand...

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just for info for those using C&MC sites over the coming period in addition to the VAT now being levied at 5% some, not sure if all, are now also allowing "supermarket deliveries" to a predefined \ pre-agreed location on site. Not used it so can't comment on operation.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back