Apr 15, 2018
Sunderland
Funster No
MH
CoachBuilt
Exp
I’m a one year old
Morning All.

Being recently widowed, and my dear wife insisting I keep travelling in our motorhome, I have invested in a new ebike. We always loved the Lakes and Scotland (being close to both in the North East). I plan to go again this year with the bike with the intention of having many days out seeing the locations and enjoying the views.
I've always been a keen cyclist and with the added boost the ebike can provide, my options on routes are far wider. Can anyone recommend good sites with cycle routes close by. Many thanks, IGD

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Morning All.

Being recently widowed, and my dear wife insisting I keep travelling in our motorhome, I have invested in a new ebike. We always loved the Lakes and Scotland (being close to both in the North East). I plan to go again this year with the bike with the intention of having many days out seeing the locations and enjoying the views.
I've always been a keen cyclist and with the added boost the ebike can provide, my options on routes are far wider. Can anyone recommend good sites with cycle routes close by. Many thanks, IGD
This might be a starting point for you in respect of cycle routes in Scotland.
You could then have a look on UK Campsite Review for sites close to specific routes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Delft or anywhere in Holland, Bike has right of way over cars and dedicated cycleways

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Morning All.

Have you tried cycling in Belgium or Netherlands. I have found it is the best place to ride in all the world wide countries I have been privileged to work.
And, it's easy to get too, and they like Motorhomes.
Phil

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Bit further afield but the Alsace is great for cycling, wonderful scenery and beautiful medieval towns.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Maragowan campsite at Killin appears to be popular for cycling. Unfortunately, we didn’t take our bikes last weekend to try out but there were a lot of cyclists around. There is an old railway line that we walked along part and various cycle routes including from Killin to Callander or Pitlochry. Our walk took us uphill through woodland and a number of cyclists passed us. Just wished we had our bikes as we would have explored further.

Currently at Harrogate with the bikes. Last night we cycled easily into town from the campsite. Very cycle friendly here. Hoping to cycle to Knaresborough ( very pretty town) at some point.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Sustrans

Have an interactive map of all their cycle routes. Perhaps have a look at that first then pick a site handy for them?

Good Luck

Barry

Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
We've just arrived back from a few nights at Delph Bank Touring Site, Fleet Hargate in the Lincolnshire Fens. Its a really pretty, well kept site with miles and miles of almost traffic free, flat country lanes to cycle on. It was the first trip out with our new e bikes, we loved it and will return!

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
Depends on your cycling preferences, we have just discovered bridleways on our ebikes.
Dorset publishes an interactive definitive map which is good enough for navigation using a smartphone. This increases the already large number of road based cycle routes, but omits the cars and trucks.
I am sure most local authorities have a similar map.
Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany.
Moselle, Saar, Canal du Midi.
For foreign places, including Wales, Google Maps is pretty good.
After you have finished all those, maybe next week, come back for more.
I think with these suggestions you can choose almost any area and find traffic free cycling.
Our ebikes were bought with canal towpaths in mind, but Mrs asw19 has already looped hers going up a very steep hill, whilst a bit lost!
Not really on topic but closeish.
Jon

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I can tell you that no matter how much research you do on google, using a smartphone to assist you, if you want to go from Pagham to Selsey and obey the "No Cycling" signs, there are numerous red herrings that cause you to double back.
My legs agree with me today !

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Ashbourne Heights in the Peak District is right on the Tissington Trail and has some good pitches with an an suite bathroom for around £5 a night extra.. used one when we stayed there and definitely would again .. if it’s wet you can use the en suite as a drying room

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Depends on your cycling preferences, we have just discovered bridleways on our ebikes.
Our ebikes were bought with canal towpaths in mind, but Mrs asw19 has already looped hers going up a very steep hill, whilst a bit lost!....................
Jon

One good thing about the front wheel motor is it will not try to loop or do an unintended wheelie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back