Sites in Northern Spain (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
We're planning to visit northern Spain in October. It would be our first time there. Advice appreciated on wild camping, and also how to find campsites. What are the best books for site listings?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It is worth getting the ACSI discount card and books. We normally select from their listings on those days we want a campsite.

I can recommend

ACSI Camping la Isla Picos Europe, which is inland at Potes. This is a lovely old town, there are fabulous drives through gorges to and from the coast. The campsite has good views and is well laid out and has a pool.
Also
http://www.campingelrosal.com/en/index.html

At SAN Vicente de la Barquera. This is a lovely coastal town and if you look at the camping website it’s in a fabulous location.

And

Castrojeriz Camping El Camino. on the El Camino Privitivo route is a nice old town with many hostels for walkers. We stayed at the town campsite, ACSI I think, which also has barn type bunks for walkers at 3euro per night when we were there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Wonderful part of Spain to tour. Definitely search for sites a must ACSI as well at this time of the year campsites discount a plenty.
We used search for sites almost all the time and stayed on many terrific aires, too many to mention, just read the reviews.
Phil

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
It is worth getting the ACSI discount card and books. We normally select from their listings on those days we want a campsite.

I can recommend

ACSI Camping la Isla Picos Europe, which is inland at Potes. This is a lovely old town, there are fabulous drives through gorges to and from the coast. The campsite has good views and is well laid out and has a pool.
Also
http://www.campingelrosal.com/en/index.html

At SAN Vicente de la Barquera. This is a lovely coastal town and if you look at the camping website it’s in a fabulous location.

And

Castrojeriz Camping El Camino. on the El Camino Privitivo route is a nice old town with many hostels for walkers. We stayed at the town campsite, ACSI I think, which also has barn type bunks for walkers at 3euro per night when we were there.
Brilliant! Ta very much, also Lenny HB and Gaston aires.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Northern Spain in October most campsites will be closed. Plenty of Camper Stops (Aires) and wild spots, I find Camper Contact the most reliable for finding them.

Have a look at my trips, links in my signature.
Just downloaded Camper Contact. Seems to mainly work, but when I tap on a site icon nothing happens. Am I doing something daft? Tablet, Android 11.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you paid for it or just using the free version as I don't think all functions work in the free version.
You can use it free on their website you need to register to get full functionality but the app is far easier to use.

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our jumartoo is the one to ask I would think. Her and Martin are there right now. 👍

We were, but we're now in France 👍.

There are "two" Northern Spains apparently. The "true" north coast from the Pyrenees at Irun until A Coruña, or the north eastern part of Spain, down the coast past Barcelona 😂

Both parts of Spain are lovely, but check out weather conditions in October. The med coast gets the Gota Frias (flash storms) and the true north coast gets rain. If you get a good forecast you'll have a great trip, either way.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
We used Park4night and the vicarious Aires book for wild camping in N Spain. Three months at a massive charge of ,€12.00. Brilliant trip same sort of time of year slightly earlier start.

Upvote 0

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
We spent time at Camping De Haro, La Rioja, Northern Spain, slap in the heart of the one of (for my money) the best wine regions in Europe (Rioja). Very inexpensive and fine wine, available on site, or go to the wineries in the town, far better than you will find from the UK Spanish imports. The site was open through December and is about 2 hours drive from Bilbao where we get the overnight ferry that has dog friendly cabins (advance booking essential).

Haro is a city of 11,000 people in La Rioja. It produces red wine, and hosts the annual Haro Wine Festival. Its architectural heritage includes the plateresque main entrance of the Church of Santo Tomás, the work of Felipe Vigarny, numerous palaces, and the old town, which has geen declared a Historic-Artistic Site.

Ken

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
We have stayed at a very nice site in Luarca which is like Port Issac on steroids, well worth a visit. Not sure if it is open during the winter but ACSI will tell you

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
We're planning to visit northern Spain in October. It would be our first time there. Advice appreciated on wild camping, and also how to find campsites. What are the best books for site listings?
We’re looking to go there next year
I’m checking sites on the app searchforsites
Some promising sites on there

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As Lenny HB says virtually all the sites will be closed on the north coast. There are aires but they are not that thick on the ground in my experience and attractive ones even fewer so you need to do a bit of research.

I'm not knocking the area we've been several times and will return. I prefer the Galician end to the Eastern bit where there are large centres of population.

For weather expect it to live up to its alternative name of "Green Spain".

Lots of wildlife including bears and wolves in the mountains a little inland but local knowledge essential to see them. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back