Sites en route and at Newquay and St. Ives ? (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi again, the kids are off school for Easter again soon and i`m hoping to nick a week off work for a trip not far from home so we decided Cornwall, Devon this time.
Sites down that way will probably get booked up quite quickly so thought get bookings in earlyish ! We did the trip before our youngun was born and loved it, but maybe things have changed down there since then ? ive looked at some campsite search sites but always better from folk that have been. I was thinking first stop about 3 - 4 hour leisurely drive down probably in line with Ilfracombe inland ?

Then couple nights Newquay then a few nights in St. Ives can wander to St.Miks mount from there .
Close walk in or public transport nearby would be great too.

So any gems you know of, sites or to see would be nice of you.
Thanks.
Jack. :happy:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Been to Newquay for years as surfers.
We used to go out to Cubert to Crossroads campsite. Dont know what its like now but we went there for 15 years. Dont expect the ritz but it was the cheapest. Possible to walk in over the gunnel to to Newquay (or catch boat dependant upon tide) but it is a walk. Sainsburys allow hour and half free parking in town. Otherwise up to the Headland hotel and oik a right just before the hotel for the cheapest parking in town or out to Tolcarne beach.
St Ives, never stayed there but visited. I doubt there is a campsite inland that is of any use owing to the great big hills. Further along the coast and you have a chance. Hayle might be a bit too far out for St Ives.
Ilfracombe is well worth giving a miss imho. Bit of a hole (i know some will like it but we hated it) Go Stowford farm meadows or woolacombe but i would go down to Bude.

Please remember i am biased because of surf so my opinion is tainted in that way

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Not stayed in Newquay but visited for a day and that was enough. Plenty of youth dudes walking the streets bare foot in wet suits. Not our thing but each to their own.
There was plenty of sites on our drive between Padstow & Newquay - if you run a site search in google you'll be able to pick one with easy access to the centre.
We stayed at Mother Ivy's bay near Padstow - very nice site with own beach and on bus route to Padstow.

Stayed outside St Ives at CC site Godrevy near Hale. Walking distance to beach & supermarket & pub and on bus route.
The sites nearest St Ives didn't have pitches for our 8.6m motorhome.

I'm sure you'll find a site but not sure if they'll offer availability without a minimum stay over Easter.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
What sort of site are you after, what do you need etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
A site a short walk from Newquay and st ives tourist parts,or public transport very near, elec hook up and dogs allowed .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
North Devon, I can recommend "Damage Barton" Site.
Bus at gate to Illfracombe or Woolacombe, short walk (narrow road) to Morte Hoe (sp?) Immaculate site Sea Views, Shop on site too.
One of our favourite sites in N Devon

Sorry but I can't recommend any site in Cornwall, as we have, in spite of the fact we live here, have never stayed in one.

AND! St Ives, is a tourist trap bit like Lands End, the Eden Project, Fowey AND Polperro
Falmouth is worth a visit, if you drive in your M/H follow the A39 till you come to traffic lights (there should be a "Wine Warehouse on your left when you stop at the lights), turn left there. Go down the hill till you see ARGOS on your left take the next turning left, up the hill to the car park (M/H friendly)
After parking walk back down the hill turn left, keep going, the main drag and the Harbour is down there about 500 metres. The main street follows the harbour side. Good place for lunch "The Cavendish" opp. M&S or Rick Steins the other end of town about a kilometre

edit; the MINACK THEATRE is worth a visit, bit of a trek to get there but well worth it

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
You could try Porth Camping site just North of Newquay but there may be a minimum stay.
We have used it a few times. The site is pretty much level and the facilities are excellent.
A beach directly opposite and on an hourly bus route, though you could walk into Newquay if the children are old enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
For ST ives try polmanter touring park.not cheep but you can walk into st ives in about 1/2 hour on quiet lane,or catch bus from site direct it runs all the time.swimming pool restaurant bar and new kids indoor play area.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry but I can't recommend any site in Cornwall, as we have, in spite of the fact we live here, have never stayed in one.
Same here, sorry.
Oh, except we stayed one night at Sennen/ Land's End when we did our South Coast West-to-East tour in 2014.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back