Site with 32A Electric (1 Viewer)

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Question.

The site we're at has 16A electric which we're plugged into.

But, they also have 32A !! (thats like 64A on our 110V system)

The guy next to us (Fleetwood Revolution) has his 16A lead plugged into an adapter which plugs into a socket the same style as the std 16A but is a bit bigger diameter socket.

So, can i get a 16A to 32A converter/adapter thing ?

Also, if I were to use (say) 25A using my 16A cable will it get hot and burn out ?

Thanks

Paul

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
16A/32A Electrics

Hi Paul

I am probably going to get into trouble here because I do not understand electrics at all - however I was under the impression that because that RV was plugged into a 32 amp supply does not mean that he was pulling 32 amps.

Just like a radio with a 5 amp fuse - if it is plugged into a normal 13 amp domestic socket, it will still only pull 5 amps or it will blow a fuse.

Chap who was on site here recently did use 32 amps BUT in two cables from two sockets - one 16 amp cable fed his 240 volts on-board supply and the other fed his 110 volt supply.

Dick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Question.

The site we're at has 16A electric which we're plugged into.

But, they also have 32A !! (thats like 64A on our 110V system)

The guy next to us (Fleetwood Revolution) has his 16A lead plugged into an adapter which plugs into a socket the same style as the std 16A but is a bit bigger diameter socket.

So, can i get a 16A to 32A converter/adapter thing ?

Also, if I were to use (say) 25A using my 16A cable will it get hot and burn out ?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

Q1 No

Q2 Yes

32A supply on a single phase requires 6 mm cable, your ehu cable is only 2.5mm so if you draw 25 A you will overheat the cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi I would suggest that you dont do it! As Jim has said the possibilities are not good. There would be nothing to stop you drawing way in excess of the capacity of you hook up lead. Also once armed with the 32 amp adapter you will often see the larger sockets, often 415 VAC

Having said that I made one for my boat as marinas often have 32amp supplies as 220 VAC :Blush: But: I am always very carefull when doing thing not to allow anyone on board to use too much!

If it were a long term thing you can get current regulators that you preset and automatically drop out if the current is exceeded, which you would want to limit to 16 amps so again, no real point!

No help really :Doh:

Cheers

Eddie

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Thanks Chaps,

The thought of drawing 32A in the UK was really enticing, as that would be 64A on my 110V system (I havent done a UK conversion) - and I didn't even get that in the States (though there are a few 100A pitches appearing now).

On the subject of drawing too much electric - would I only be able to draw what my RV lets me draw ie 50A (or 25A at 230V)?

As I'm on a 16A (32A at 110V) supply, if I try and draw more than that by turning too many appliances on, then my Energy Management System (EMS) simply says No and automatically turns things off so I remain within my limits.

So, can I asume that if I did have a cable thick enough (I knew I shouldnt have sold the original copper cable) that I would indeed be able to draw 25A of the 32A available on that pedestal?

Sorry if Im asking what has already been answered but I guess I didnt understand :Blush:

Thanks
Paul

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi may I ask what are you using to draw so much current is it heaters?

Surely it can't be both ACs in this weather!

Just wondering.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Pat

We dont run everything together all of the time but there are times it would be good to have more juice available.

For instance, if it is really cold we may run the heat thru one air conditioner whilst running a free standing heater too - then we may want to run the microwave to prepare dinner, perhaps the kettle. The fridge freezer will be on all day. The water heater may then decide to come on. The wife will, of course, be running the washer/dryer at the same time and the inverter/charger may decide to recharge the batteries as we've had the lights on all day.

Don't forget the TV will be on around dinner time too (Simpsons 6pm) and the computer is on 24/7.

None of this is a major problem, as the EMS will automatically turn things off if there isnt enough power (and back on when there is) - but you can guarantee the water heater will be turned off before you want to wash up or the washing machine will go loopy cause it keeps getting turned off and on during the wash.

Thinking about it, does anyone know how I can plug into a 500A supply? :ROFLMAO:

We could of course switch stuff to LPG but that costs us money. :cry:

Paul

PS Older RVs were all designed to operate on 30A, so your standard UK 16A socket would power eveything in it, but newer models have been built to take 50A (ie 25A UK incoming).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Pat

I just noticed you have a CL open all year and can take RVs.

I should clarify my previous post - my RV doesn't use anywhere near 16A as we are extremely careful to ensure we dont waste electric by leaving things on :Blush:

So, can I come and stay at your place for the season please? :thumb:

And Im being serious too - I only wish I had read you other post before I made mine. :whatthe:

How much for a seasonal pitch for a low energy RV? - and do you have any pitches available? :help:

Cheers
Paul

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Foot in Mouth!

Come on, Paul

The Lodge 3c Site - Site Number 12 in your Big Pitch Guide - unless you haven't been keeping up to date with amendments :RollEyes:

Dick

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Pat
PS Older RVs were all designed to operate on 30A, so your standard UK 16A socket would power eveything in it, but newer models have been built to take 50A (ie 25A UK incoming).

Hi Paul not quite correct, newer RV's do take 50amp supplies but that is on each phase, giving a total of 100amps (11,000watts :Eeek:) or 50amp at 220v. 30amp supplies are single phase only so 30a is correct.

Your 110v side is restricted by the size of your stepdown tranny, in most cases this is 3kv (less than 16amp) so connecting up to a 32amp supply would make no difference.

Olley

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Thanks Olley

I forgot the tranny bit.

Mine is 5.6KW but still not going to reach those huge amps am I.

See Pat, I can still come and stay after all.

Paul

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Olley

I forgot the tranny bit.

Mine is 5.6KW but still not going to reach those huge amps am I.

See Pat, I can still come and stay after all.

Paul

Hi paul 5.6kv why did you have such a big one fitted? The bigger the tranny the more likely that the start up surge will trip the site electrics.

Olley

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Bartley CS site

Hi Paul

You are most welcome to come to my site with your super efficient low amperage consuming RV! In fact you can turn on all of your appliances all day and all night I really don't mind! But first please read my campsite post again 'NO ELECTRIC HOOK UP AT THE MOMENT' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also as a CS site each stay is limited to 28 days and as I have a sad neighbour who actually counts the days campers are here you will have to leave and then come back again! Even I have to do that and I own the property!!:Sad:

Regards Pat:winky:

Attachments

• 100_0548.jpg
    100_0548.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Pat

It all looks and sounds lovely (you did say you were working on the electric didnt you?).

But, we need to clarify some other, far more important, things than electric supply..........

1) How far to nearest pub/restaurant? :thumb:
2) How far to nearest Indian restaurant? :thumb:
3) How far are you from my mother-in-law? :ROFLMAO:

Paul

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Paul

There are about 7 pubs nearby (within 2 miles) the closest of which (300 yards) is at present doing a carvery at £3.50p yes £3.50p:thumb: Monday to Sat and it is very good and lager :beer:at £2.20p :Smile: it's just reopened so don't know how long that deal will go on for :Sad:

Several Indian and Chinese restaurants in Totton, Ashurst and Lyndhurst. We have one in Totton that delivers. A fish and chip shop about 2 miles away on the main road.:thumb:

Also convenient for The Motor Museum at Beaulieu about 6 miles and in September there is always the Southampton Boat Show. Won't mention football though
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: you'd have to go to Porstmouth for that:Sad:

As regards mother in law :thumbdown:

Yes got to see about elecy have bought some hook up boxes but will have to enquire as to how to supply them with power.

Regards Pat.

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Oh Bugger

I knew I should have asked for a reply by PM.

Now they'll all want to come.

Paul

PS Please keep us informed on the leccy, oh, and are there many HGV jobs down your way?

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Olley

Sorry, I missed your last post......"5.6kv why did you have such a big one fitted?"

Well, I attacked it by looking at the RV,

The appliances in the RV take a total of upto 50 Amps USA.

50 amps at 110 volts = 5,500 Watts (5.5KW)

The website I got my 5.6KW transformer from (Transformer Manufacturer UK - Airlink Transformers - Home Page) states "If an inadequately rated transformer is used, the transformer will cut out periodically or blow fuses. In all cases it is important that the transformer is rated above the appliance with which it is to be used."

So, if I ever got that maximum power INTO the RV I would have the transformer fitted (Link Removed) that could do the job.

I also have a surge limiter (Link Removed) fitted in the transformer.

Now, if you look at a campsite offering 16 Amps in the UK

16 amps at 230 volts = 3,700 Watts (3.7KW)

Going on the statement from Air Link Transformers it would seem that those RVs with the 3KW transformers are the ones likely to trip the fuses.

Am I missing something? (not unknown)

By the way, there is a great website at Electricity Running Cost Calculator from UK Power where you can enter your energy use and get an idea how much you are costing that friendly campsite owner.

Just select "other item" and then enter 230v and 16a and guess how many hours you would run a full 16a for in a month (imagine 8amp non stop for 24hrs equals 16a for 12 hours x 30 days).

I put in that I was using a full 16amps at 230volts for 12 hours a day at 13p per unit (I have no idea how much a unit of commercial electric is these days) and it states that I would be using £172 each month.

So, for a campsite to welcome me they would need to charge just £5.73 per day for electric. (but of course I don't use anywhere near that much) :Blush:

I probably average out at around 25p a day over the whole year.

Paul

PS also found a handy sheet on Site Electrics from the Caravan Club = Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Jobs

Hi Paul

Being a major container port I would say yes there are HGV jobs.

I have not got a job for you though!

I am looking for an electrician though!!

Regards Pat

Attachments

• 100_0541.jpg
    100_0541.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi Paul I can see your logic, if there was anywhere in Europe where a 30amp supply was available.>:)

I suppose if you stay put for 6 months or so, it might be worth the owner putting it in just for you, but at a greater weekly rate, along with an upgraded hook up lead and plug.

You could add another lead and sneakily utilise another spare socket (if available) as long as you were sure they were both on the same phase, otherwise BANG! :ROFLMAO:

Olley

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
I like the sound of that !!

Pat?....Pat?......where's he gone?

In his last picture, I saw one of his electric hook-up posts in the background, behind his low loader. :ROFLMAO:

Might need a ladder if the sockets near the top though.

Paul

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim now your talking a 3phase 440v 100amp per phase supply, thats about 44,000watts. Should just about power all pauls toys.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back