Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
Thinking of applying for site warden work over the summer, has anyone got any experiences they could share? What are the bad points? Anything you would recommend we avoid?
Want to run away from the kids so they can’t moan about us spending their inheritance!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thinking of applying for site warden work over the summer

So the questionnaire.

1. Do you have a full Nazi uniform in your wardrobe ?

2. Do you delight in pulling wings of butterflies ?

3. Do you push old people into traffic instead of helping them across the road ?

4. Do you have bad breath ?

5. Do you have a violently aggressive nature ?

6. Do you consider the public beneath contempt ?

If you can answer YES to those questions, you are prime warden material.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Would you make someone get off a site if they arrived 5 minutes before the Official time allowed?

the thing best avoided other campers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
RE

So the questionnaire.

3. Do you push old people into traffic instead of helping them across the road ?

Not all wardens are like the above comment, I work for the camping and caravaning club and enjoy welcoming guest to the site, there are rules there to protect the public etc etc, Not going to rant on about this because its not worth it. Enough said!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I can't help with your enquiry has we have no experience of the job, BUT I will say we have never had a problem on any site with a warden only help, It,s never been a problem home or away. Pete :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
That’s what worries us the most :roflmto:
We would be too soft – Do we mind working 60 hours this week for free? No we’d love to. Oh, you poor things spent all your money, don’t worry have some of ours. Tent blown away come and stay with us. Do you think we are the right type to be wardens?

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
We worked for C&C Club for 3years, are you thinking of one of the clubs or a commercial site.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I would imagine working for one of the clubs would be better than working a commercial site. You will be dealing with experienced, in the main responsible, campers and not "holidaymakers".
But. if the main reason is to avoid the kids why don't you just take off and go touring?

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
It can be hard work and also fun, you asked silly questions like, what time is our friends arriving, do you know what time the dolphins will be in the bay & lots more, I would say don't do it with out a wage & you have to be ready for anything
hope this is of some help
regards
tony

OP
OP
B

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
I would imagine working for one of the clubs would be better than working a commercial site. You will be dealing with experienced, in the main responsible, campers and not "holidaymakers".
But. if the main reason is to avoid the kids why don't you just take off and go touring?

Well….. We have been touring on and off since buying the RV two years ago, but dare I say it sometimes we can get on each other’s nerves. Being together 24 /7 after 30 years of marriage, him going to work me looking after the children. So we thought if we worked on a site we could have the best of both worlds away from home and working/being active, not just reading the papers and eating all day!

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
The work varies from office work to cleaning toilets looking after the ground work, some are six days a week for minimum wage. Nice enviroment to work in, most campers are friendly can be long hours.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well….. We have been touring on and off since buying the RV two years ago, but dare I say it sometimes we can get on each other’s nerves. Being together 24 /7 after 30 years of marriage, him going to work me looking after the children. So we thought if we worked on a site we could have the best of both worlds away from home and working/being active, not just reading the papers and eating all day!

We looked at doing this about four years ago.. applied for a few positions, had a couple of interviews, but weren't lucky .. perhaps because we had a daughter with us.. who knows.. but anyways..

I'd also advise to work for one of the 'clubs' ... they pay the minimum wage + your pitch and electric.. some private sites expect you to do it for the price of the pitch and not a lot more..
To work for the Caravan club you must be a member, IIRC for at least a year.. if accepted you have to do a weeks training course... how to erect a pup tent... etc that sort of thing :roflmto:
If accepted they put you on a stand by list, the more willing you are to travel, the more chance you have of a placement, starting as assistant wardens.

don't know what the C &CC requirements are .. have a look on their site for info.

Now is a good time to look for work next year.. this site usually has a good few jobs.. http://www.caravan-jobfinder.co.uk/ but, if you find a job, get it in writing what the terms and conditions of employment are before accepting.. If they are a bona fide company, they will have all that to hand. ..

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Some retired friends tried this very recently, for one of the clubs, probably CCC. Apparently if you can stick it for 3(?) years you can use their sites for free from then onwards. They'd sold their house and needed somewhere to stay in their caravan so being wardens seemed like a good idea. The hours are long and you don't get much time off in the week - the husband found it all quite gruelling and he's not unfit. They also didn't think much of whoever was in charge of them but that's obviously the luck of the draw. I wouldn't fancy it myself.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not all wardens are like the above comment, I work for the camping and caravaning club and enjoy welcoming guest to the site, there are rules there to protect the public etc etc, Not going to rant on about this because its not worth it. Enough said!

Ah but you see, you worked for the C & CC.. you did not have to undergo 15 months training at stalagluft 18 ( also known as the Caravan Club headquarters .. seems to be infested with ex RAF Johnny types ) so that you had your brain washed, hung out to dry and left to wrinkle and become bitter !!

KeithS

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2009
My wife and I have worked for Keycamp (in France) and for the C&CC in the UK. We will be working again in the 2013 season hopefully.

The main thing to appreciate is that being a warden is not an 'easy' holiday job, even though it may look it, as a customer, when you see the wardens at check in. The work is quite physically demanding and you are working at least full time on a shift basis. You must be prepared to work in bad weather and in muddy, difficult conditions, if required. You will be expected to enforce the 'rules' even those that you may not particularly like yourself. The people who manage you may be excellent, but on the other hand they may not be good managers and have had little training in management.

You must be prepared to clean toilet blocks and have to understand that some customers have different standards of hygiene than yours!!! There will be 'ground work' especially for the male and if you are good at being a 'handyman' that will be an advantage (although not essential). Usually, ladies will be expected to work in reception, dealing with the public and will have to learn how to operate a computerised bookings and management system, and do this under pressure at times.

You will not make a lot of money out of it! Minimum wage or just above plus free pitch and electric.

You will undoubtedly have a lot of laughs and have a whole load of new experiences. You will benefit physically from all the fresh air and exercise. You will learn a lot of new skills and meet a lot great people along the way. We keep in touch with many and have made a lot of friends from all walks of life.

Your children will be proud of you, and tell all their friends what you are doing. They can come and stay on the campsite where you are working, in many cases having a free pitch. You will have a lot of 'cred' and many people will be interested in the what you are doing.

This is just based on our experience. Hope it helps!

Good luck.

KeithS

UK Grey Nomads

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
12 Fulltiming since March 2007, 2 months NZ, 8 Months Australia.
So the questionnaire.

A disgusting reply, we have been fulltiming for over 3 years now, and yes we have had rude site managers (only 1 on a C&CC site, none on CC). But we have more often heard how rude the public can also be to site managers.
Not commenting further.
Alan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Alan, its called humour mate... Something that seems to be lacking today on here with so many folk getting the miseries for one reason or tother...

I think a lot of peeps are getting a bit of cabin fever !

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A disgusting reply, we have been fulltiming for over 3 years now, and yes we have had rude site managers (only 1 on a C&CC site, none on CC). But we have more often heard how rude the public can also be to site managers.
Not commenting further.
Alan

What do you mean no sense of humour:ROFLMAO:

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
So the questionnaire.

Apparently we are expected to see this with a sense of humour....pants!
We have worked for the C&CC as Assistants for 2 years and now as Site Managers and sadly Hilldweller and his 'sense of humour' are typical of the tiny sad minority of the campers that ruin what can be a great fun and rewarding job, albeit for next to no money. Because of taxation on an occupational pension I worked last season for £4.50 an hour in my hand, but loved every minute of it.

Lets not forget that if it werent for those like us and many others, who are prepared to work for jacks**t and endure the likes of some of the less complimentary posters on here, many of you would be sleeping in car parks for your holidays.

Still, on the upside, how many of those who slag us off are still earning, working in the fresh air, welcoming a vast majority of genuine, generous and lovely people onto their site, who become true friends, and yet spend 4 winter months in the sun ( like we are now )......Rant over,see those of who can take the trouble to be civil to the site staff who go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable, next season !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Quite frankly, I prefer to sleep in car parks compared to some of the sites I have had the misfortune to visit**.. usually those with warders ( not wardens ) who also 'sacrificed their lives to the cause' and like folk to know it..

Surely it is an individuals choice what they do ? I mean, come on... are you telling me you have NEVER heard a traffic warden joke ? Did you take offence on their behalf ? of course not..

** and all those have been CC ones.. It is interesting to note that you and the previous gainsayer both work for C & CC.. Who in the past 5 years I have found to be pleasant helpful folk who deserve praise not abuse. There is, without ANY doubt, a BIG difference between the two breeds !

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Firstly, thank you for drawing a definitive distinction between the site staff within the two Clubs.

Secondly whilst Hilldwellers post MAY have been in some kind of jest, his type of comments do wear a bit thin after a while and he is not alone on here in giving club site staff a hard time (largely unjustified), nor in posting expressly to be controversial.

Thirdly, my post was not written as someone who feels they have sacrificed their soul for the benefit of those who use our sites, it was our lifestyle, choice and a good one at that.

And finally, if you check out my previous posts you'll see my sense of humour is as active as anyone else on here.
Enjoy your car park !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thirdly, my post was not written as someone who feels they have sacrificed their soul for the benefit of those who use our sites, it was our lifestyle, choice and a good one at that.

Good man.. :thumb:
Have you ever been a biker ? If not bet you were in a previous life :thumb:

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Are you a medium ?!!

I'm 54 and not been without a bike since I was 17. Currently own a Thunderbird, Triumph Bonneville Scrambler and a Honda 750 Shadow ( on a trailer with me here in Spain ).

Psychic or what !

Seeing as how youre a biker too, we'll call the 'site warden' spat to a close.:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just a little something i have noticed on here tonight about these rants of hitler type wardens

Mr Hilldweller has a way of expressing his humour that many people dont seem to get the gist of however the response he got probably made the responding poster feel angry at first but after they had posted i bet they felt a whole lot better.

keep up the good work Brian as you alone could make some of the grumpy funsters feel better.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Secondly whilst Hilldwellers post MAY have been in some kind of jest, his type of comments do wear a bit thin after a while !

Of course it was jest. Jest based on posts on here because we've hardly ever visited CC or CC&C we holiday abroad. Like it or not people on here do complain regularly of bad treatment by wardens.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you a medium ?!!

I'm 54 and not been without a bike since I was 17. Currently own a Thunderbird, Triumph Bonneville Scrambler and a Honda 750 Shadow ( on a trailer with me here in Spain ).

Psychic or what !

Seeing as how youre a biker too, we'll call the 'site warden' spat to a close.:thumb:

Psychic ... more like psychotic (only JOKING :winky:). Probably just looked at your profile where you have stated motorcycling .... :Blush:

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
just a little something i have noticed on here tonight about these rants of hitler type wardens

Mr Hilldweller has a way of expressing his humour that many people dont seem to get the gist of however the response he got probably made the responding poster feel angry at first but after they had posted i bet they felt a whole lot better.

keep up the good work Brian as you alone could make some of the grumpy funsters feel better.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

If that was directed at me, not sure you can draw that conclusion on two posts. Still, I'm sure you feel better after your post too.

Yes, keep it up Brian, can't beat a good sparring session to exercise my sense of humour. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back