Site recommendation - Barmouth, Wales (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Did a search on here but came up with nothing definitive. I'm looking for a site nr Barmouth for our 8m Motorhome. EHU would be nice but could live without for the right spot. Dates are 2, 3 & 4 July. We'd want to cycle around, particularly Mawddach Trail – Dolgellau.

Thank you

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Also have a look at Graig Wen slightly further down stream than abergwynnant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Shell Island...

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Very plain but nice clean site.Lots of privately owned statics
The Beach is 1/2 mile walk/ ride and is miles of unspoilt sand
Road to Barmouth is the coast road and fairly flat

Not very much in Harlech apart from the Castle. Couple of good-ish eateries

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
We are planning a trip to the area - there are several sites to choose from the south side of the estuary and you can cycle the bridge to Barmouth or go East on the Mawdach trail (old railway line). Between Morfa Mawdach and Fairbourne there are lots of sites.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The barmouth campsite is horrible, right next to and below the railway line. The mawddach cyclepath however is excellent. I would park in the car park in dolgellau do the cycle ride have your lunch in barmouth and then cycle back and stay somewhere else. We like Shell island but other options are available.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks, got that one on the list. What's it like? Cycle (we are not fit and don't do long or steep hills very well) to Barmouth and back ok?
It's about 10 minutes walk to the steepest road in the Northern Hemisphere measured at around 37.5%! Albeit the road sign says 40%!:eek:
Don't worry about the gradient though as long as you've got good brakes on your bikes as it's one way downhill!(y)
Very plain but nice clean site.Lots of privately owned statics
The Beach is 1/2 mile walk/ ride and is miles of unspoilt sand
Road to Barmouth is the coast road and fairly flat

Not very much in Harlech apart from the Castle. Couple of good-ish eateries
We had a bite to eat in Y Branwen and was good. Dog friendly as well. 10 minutes walk.

Eryri greets you on the way in!
1624471669822.png

And this is the view from the touring area.
1624471819399.png

ps probably the best toilet block we've ever been in!

Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
HI there, We left the Vanner Campsite near Dolgellau this morning. It is £15 per night for pitch and electric, hardstanding or grass. Facilities are ok but it is right on the river. The only issue is whether they would be able to take an 8m van. Suggest you give them a call. http://www.vanner.co.uk/

Aug 5, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
New to motorhoming
Hendre Mynach site is good location just outside Barmouth so easy cycle or walk in. Yes we are parked up just below the railway line but trains few and far between so not a disturbance at all. Big site so would imagine it’s very busy during school hols but fine now and would certainly stay here again. Walked over the bridge and to the start of the cycle path today, nice walk though rather wet!!

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Hendre Mynach I would suggest is the closest to town and easy access along a flat promenade to the last section which is a bit hilly. However, once there and across the bridge you are on the trail. It’s a good bike ride. Enjoy. Maybe the example given by jongood for parking up in Dolgellau. However each to there own, she’ll island is a bit marmite. I hated it on the visits I’ve made. Feral!

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Thanks for the tips, managed to get a couple of nights at Hendre Mynach and one at Min-y-don to add to a couple already planned in, so I think a good mix of things to do and see on foot/bike/public transport.

So pleased I asked on here, ideas much appreciated and really looking forward to our trip; it starts tomorrow:cheers:

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
The barmouth campsite is horrible, right next to and below the railway line. The mawddach cyclepath however is excellent. I would park in the car park in dolgellau do the cycle ride have your lunch in barmouth and then cycle back and stay somewhere else. We like Shell island but other options are available.
We stayed on commercial site by the abbey just outside dolgellau A couple of weeks ago cycle path to Barmouth is a mile away only 15 quid a night incl electricity the cycle path on the old railway is excellent being old codgers we used our electric bike things

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back