Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We were planning our first outing of the year to be to the Rowntree site in York sometime in February, unfortunately it seems to be closed until August.

We want to be able to leave the van on site and get into York easily, so somewhere near to the Park & Ride would be good, if there were a decent pub within walking distance that would be even better.

Can anyone recommend a site that's open all year that would suit?

Mike

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Can't believe I missed that...... my Dragon in Law used to live in Bishopthorpe as well!! I booked the York YCP site in July which has a regular bus service into York right outside the gate and has good reviews.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=4327
This is where we are going Friday and Saturday night. Hard standing . Electric if you want it . Handy if you want to go to Monks Cross shopping . We've never had problems parking the MH at Monks Cross either. The kids loved to be dropped off at the big swimming baths , its got lots of water chutes , waves , lazy river etc. Whilst we have a look around the big shopping centre and have a coffee n cake in starbucks.
Its only a 5 unit site and there's Rufforth to walk into too . Its very quiet :Smile:.
We usually walk up to the airfield and watch the gliders and microlites.
Theres a nice little cafe there that does a mean bacon sarni and pot of tea. Ralph takes his radios to listen in . Its a nice spot in the thick of winter as you know your not going to get bogged in.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you're a C&CC member the Derwent Arms CS is open all year. It's just a field with fresh water and dump points so you need all your own facilities. It's on a bus route and (not surprisingly :Smile:) the pub is only a few strides away.

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Can't believe I missed that...... my Dragon in Law used to live in Bishopthorpe as well!! I booked the York YCP site in July which has a regular bus service into York right outside the gate and has good reviews.

Handy for the bus to York but quite expensive:whatthe:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Google 'Willow house touring park' adults only site about 3 mile outside York but with a bus stop at the site entrance, if your in the CC there is a CL on site with access to exactly the same ammenities as the rest of the site, there is also a farm shop on site with a very good Cafe that does lovely breakfasts. Well worth a look.:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Fantastic - what a gem! ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all for helpful suggestions. We've also found "Rawcliffe Manor Caravan Park" which seems to tick most of the boxes - it's a case of availability now I guess.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
You could also try http://www.castleinncawood.co.uk/ in Cawood village. They have a field behind the pub and the bus to York and Selby stops outside.

Cawood is a historic village where Cardinal Wolsey was kept prior to being sent to his demise in London. The nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty is said to have been written anout Wolsey and his time at Cawood Castle.

Cawood used to boast thirteen pubs but now there are only three, the Jolly Sailor, the Castle and the Ferry Inn on the banks of the River Ouse:beerchug:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back