Site near Newcastle (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys off for a few days in Newcastle near the end of March, any recommends? Preferably close to town, can be all singing and dancing or bare bit of grass.

Olley

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi dellwood Newcastle upon Tyne, sorry should have said.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
There are not a lot of sites close to Newcastle. The easiest & closest would be the Drift Inn at Seaton Burn, north of Newcastle. They allows overnight stopovers in there very large carpark . There is good food served and a friendly atmosphere .

Directions :- just north of newcastle upon tyne . heading north , take the a19 turnoff , then turn right at the roundabout towards seaton burn . we are located 500yds from the roundabout . caravans , motorhomes and american rv are welcome . we can provide water and some sanitation . emergence hook up only . heading south , take the crammlington turn off (a19) . turn right at the roundabout and take the seaton burn turnoff . easy access ..

Link Removed

The Drift Inn
Front Street
Seaton Burn
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
NE13 6BW

Tel: 0191 236 6780

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dellwood sounds good for an overnight, but we will be staying a few days.

Found Derwent Park on Ukcampsite which sounds ok, and you can use the local CIU which is within staggering distance. ::bigsmile: I will ring them tomorrow.

Thanks

Olley

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Quite handy for the Metro centre and from there you can get a train into Newcastle.
Derwent Park is on the Red Kite Trail - was along there today with the dog. Don't forget to look up ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi dellwood, the metro centre is the main reason for going, girls got to shop ::bigsmile: I don't mind as she's a window shopper, very rarely buys anything, I usually spend more on a book and coffee. ::bigsmile:

Anything historical see around Newcastle, apart from the wall? Any mines to go down?

Olley

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
There is a place called the Beamish Museum. Very large open air affair that will take you all day to get around. It has a mine that you can take tours down :Smile:

Link Removed

Are you taking a toad with you ? because parking in Newcastle is a mare.
Historical in Newcastle itself ? - the whole place with the Castle, the Keep, the Bridges, not to mention the rejuvenated Quayside. Have a trip along the quayside & Dene Street on an evening & have your eyes opened to the Newcastle Party life :Eeek:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dick yes we will have the toad, I would imagine parking at the Metrocentre will be ok, apart from that we "Do buses" so if you think that's the best option. Quayside sounds good, although at 60 I am not really a party animal anymore. ::bigsmile:

Olley

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
The parking at the Metro Centre is free & there would be room for your RV in the coach park. You could park at the metro Centre & get a train from the Metro Centre train station, into Newcastle. Saves the pricey parking charges in Newcastle.:winky:
The tourist information office in Newcastle is at the Central Arcade, in the shadow of Greys Monument.

The Quayside at night is more of a spectator sport when you get to our ages, but as I said an eye openner :Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Mulaz if you look back a few posts you will see thats where I hope to stay. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
You can park behind the Baltic in Gateshead and walk over the millennium bridge into Newcastle, as we did here Link Removed

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys thanks for all the advice, just booked in to Derwent park, £70 for 4 nights. Thanks for the advice about parking behind the Baltic Centre Ralph, anybody know what's the area like late at night? Safe? or a no go area?

Olley

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Hi guys thanks for all the advice, just booked in to Derwent park, £70 for 4 nights. Thanks for the advice about parking behind the Baltic Centre Ralph, anybody know what's the area like late at night? Safe? or a no go area?

Olley

The other many car parks in that area are used for the Sage venue so are well lit and well used

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
The Gateshead side is on the opposite side of the Millenium Bridge from the lively quayside. As Ralph said, the sage carpark is well lit, but can get crowded if there is anything on at the Sage. Some smashing places for photography, especially floodlit if you are interested.
When are you planning the trip ? - I could make myself available as a guide to Newcastle if you want, as I understand the locals & can communicate with them ::bigsmile: - cost you a cup of coffee though :winky:

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
Once you are on the site I would just get the bus as it goes to Newcastle Via the metro center and they run every half hour till 11pm . It is not a very big site and only has a few places for large MH so once you are settled best to leave it, social club at the top of the road next door to a fish shop there is also a chinese and italian restaurant within walking distance. If you are taking the rv to the metro center best to park at the bus carpark as it has got places for mh next to the cars there and its closer to the train station also easier to get out when the traffic starts

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...d=111678809681780160423.000480067db711fcd0394

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi wanttobeaway, we will be in a little old Nissan Micra, (and it is old) which we drag around on a trailer, so as long as there's a spot she will fit in. ::bigsmile: Thanks for the map, really helpfull. :thumb:

We prefer to use the car if we can park ok. got caught out a couple of years back in Manchester with a late bus that didn't turn up, then the one that did, didn't go all the way, so we finished up walking a couple miles back to site in the rain. :Doh:

Thanks for the offer Dick, but do you speak suffuk? ::bigsmile:

Just booked Thorntons Holt near Nottingham, to start off with, so that will be a nice 11 days away, finishing up with the Newark show on the Sat/Sun. Can't wait.!!

Olley

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
If you are in Newcastle you should have a look at the discovery museum its quite good and its free and your lass could do a bit of window shopping in eldon square.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
As well as the Metrocentre, there are lots of great shops in Newcastle itself. Eldon Square and Northumberland Street are worth a look (and there are book shops too!).

Recommend that for some real fish and chips you go to North Shields fish quay. There are plenty of places to eat there. If you are into real ale there is the Magnesia Bank and the Wooden Doll pubs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back