Site charges!!! (2 Viewers)

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I understand the need for a shower facility if not on-board..

did I mention a pub within staggering distance ?
You didn't but in that way I'm pretty Old School.
I like to get out the Bar-B and crack open my own cans outside the van, hopefully with a few like-minded individuals.
That's generally why we choose the small, adult only sites over the larger family ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sadly, the joys of simple camping in a field with [HI]sheep[/HI] for company are numbered.

'Modern camper van man' needs/wants wifi, ehu, hard standing, hot showers, [HI]bla bla bla[/HI]

sorry Jim could not let it go
'Modern camper van man' needs/wants wifi, ehu, hard standing, hot showers,[HI] baa baa baa[/HI], hee hee

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a cracking little CL attached to the place we store our van and which is free for us to use.

Its literally through the storage gates and then about half a mile along a field.

No facilities at all, just sheep, the odd dear and stunning views of London and Canary Wharf on a clear day/night.

Some of my happiest times last summer was lounging in my chair having just had a bbq, with a stack of cold beer in the fridge.

An added bonus was really good 3G so I was able to watch the 3rd Lions test on Skygo on my Ipad:thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We have a cracking little CL attached to the place we store our van and which is free for us to use.

Its literally through the storage gates and then about half a mile along a field.

No facilities at all, just sheep, the odd dear and stunning views of London and Canary Wharf on a clear day/night.

Some of my happiest times last summer was lounging in my chair having just had a bbq, with a stack of cold beer in the fridge.

An added bonus was really good 3G so I was able to watch the 3rd Lions test on Skygo on my Ipad:thumb:
Sounds as though it's worth a visit Chris.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
sadly, the joys of simple camping in a field with sheep for company are numbered.

'Modern camper van man' needs/wants wifi, ehu, hard standing, hot showers, bla bla bla[/QUOTE]

Now, I don't want any of them, the one thing I would have if there's a choice is tv reception but no way needs, btw Jim's has got tv ::bigsmile:
All the people that go to France on aires (and there are lots on here)don't have these things so why do folks want them here, if all these things are needed you would be better off just renting a static for a couple of weeks, and save all the tax , insurance and diesel :Doh:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
if all these things are needed you would be better off just renting a static for a couple of weeks, and save all the tax , insurance and diesel :Doh:
The cost of renting a Static either here or in France for a couple of weeks would cover the cost of my tax and insurance and I'd still need diesel to get there.
Besides which I then wouldn't have use of it for the other 50 weeks of the year....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sorry Jim could not let it go
'Modern camper van man' needs/wants wifi, ehu, hard standing, hot showers,[HI] baa baa baa[/HI], hee hee

yes.. very good .. :roflmto:

seriously..

if you want all the mod cons of an all singing and dancing site, club house/bar entertainment etc you would be cheaper, (taking all costs into consideration), checking into a Travelodge..

I am aware the the vast majority of motorhomers on here do not want or need any of that raz mataz .. just a basic site with minimal facilities at a reasonable charge.. but there is a problem ..

In the UK, unlike France, motorhomes only make up about 10% of the recreational vehicles.. the vast bulk are caravaners who generally, not all, want a fully serviced pitch, with 16A ehu, so sites cater for them.. not the campervan.

In France the reverse is true.. ie. campervans far exceed the number of caravans.. so they are well catered for with aires .. that will not happen in the UK. so we will have to accept that and where ever possible support the basic CL owners.. if we don't we will eventually have none.. or very few.. and that would be a sad day..

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

That's the idea, no need to make a fortune, if it's a farm the blokes already making a living with the other stuff , a space in a field is just extra money for the same area, I know this planning and insurance are a bit of a bind, but would love to have a go myself, just for the interest but if no one goes to Jim's ,can't see anyone wanting to come here apart from being near Alton towers although we do have a pub right across the road::bigsmile:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
'Modern camper van man' needs/wants wifi, ehu, hard standing, hot showers, bla bla bla

I think you meant caravanner :RollEyes:.

I don't care for hard standing, showers or Wi-Fi (at exorbitant rates) or a 16amp hook-up so can run a 3kw blow heater in my awning :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think you meant caravanner :RollEyes:.

I don't care for hard standing, showers or Wi-Fi (at exorbitant rates) or a 16amp hook-up so can run a 3kw blow heater in my awning :Doh:

Does it matter whether a van is tugged or chugged.. ? Are you suggesting that caravanners are different some how ?
I think you'll find many motorhomers are ex caravanners and some motorhomers have gone back to caravanning ...

The way I see it , there are some who want it all .. van or caravan, and some who don't .. as mentioned, it's a broad church.. I've been both tugger and chugger and never used all singing sites.. nor ever used a 3kw heater in an awning :RollEyes:

I don't care for hardstanding either but it is essential if a site/CL wants to be open and useable all year.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
care to expand on that ?

Caravans are made for dropping off on a site , and then touring in your car, so no need to take water and suff with you, mhs on the other hand are not left , you tour in them so take everything you need with you and can stop anywhere, the only real need you have for a site is some sort of security and then you are not compleatly sure of that on a site:Doh:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I love the way that people that want bugger all look down their noses at people who enjoy and are prepared to pay for all the facilities on a site.

And people who enjoy all the facilities of a site, feel sorry for people who have no facilities

Like vans, there is no right and wrong way to camp, just different.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I love the way that people that want bugger all look down their noses at people who enjoy and are prepared to pay for all the facilities on a site.

And people who enjoy all the facilities of a site, feel sorry for people who have no facilities

Like vans, there is no right and wrong way to camp, just different.

Not looking down on anyone, if they want facilities , ok no problem with that but why should the people who don't want them pay the same:Doh:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Simple don't go to sites with facilities :Doh::Doh::Doh: (if were using smilies)

You can't expect to use a site and "cherry pick" which facilities you wish to use, ergo, pay for.

I used the urinal, but not the WC, the hand basin but not the shower cubical.

I used the hard standing but not the tap.

Also I assure you people that want a place to park and no facilities are in the minority. I know as I used to have a CL and we now have a small, but award winning site that has everything.

It used to be underused, it is often now full.

I agree that simple sites can be very pleasant, and when I want that I use suitable sites. Equally, when I want all the whistles and bells, I use a site that has them, and happily pay for the use, or the potential use of the facilities that, that sort of site offers.

My staff would know exactly what to stay if some one wanted to stay, not use the facilities and negotiate a reduction of the fee's

"Next" as they look over your shoulder in reception :winky:

Eddie

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Simple don't go to sites with facilities :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Eddie

Ok where are the sites without facilities ,that's what I want to know :thumb:
Btw where's your site, might drop by sometime :thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Caravan and Camping Club and the Caravan Club operate thousands of small sites all over the country.

The requirement for a "certificated location" CL is a tap and a dump.

That's it! Some do have more, but what they offer is clearly laid out in the relevant handbooks

Google Certificate locations and you'll see how easy it is :thumb:

You wouldn't like ours, it's even got piped music in the loo's :winky:

Eddie

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
From what I have observed over the last couple of years if sites offered a cheaper alternative price for not using the facilities then lots of cheap skates would use the facilities regardless unless it was policed as seems to be the norm now many want something for nothing.

I fail to see what the whinging is all about as there is a glut of sites in all price ranges to suit all needs and if you want only basic needs the Camping and caravan club temporary holiday sites are an absolute boon

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
From what I have observed over the last couple of years if sites offered a cheaper alternative price for not using the facilities then lots of cheap skates would use the facilities regardless unless it was policed as seems to be the norm now many want something for nothing.

I fail to see what the whinging is all about as there is a glut of sites in all price ranges to suit all needs and if you want only basic needs the Camping and caravan club temporary holiday sites are an absolute boon

That's true.

I went to a site somewhere in Normandy last Summer and there was an aire right outside the campsite.

As dusk fell, you saw the cheeky sods hot footing it to the showers with their towels over their shoulder.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I saw the same a lot further south. The aire was just outside the entrance to the site. It had free water/dumping and ehu, and still some freeloading tossers were nipping in to use the swimming pool :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back