Sink drains (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
I am new to MoHo's and have found my kitchen sink quite slow to run away. Is there a benefit of running a liquid drain unblocker through it and if so, which one will not damage the system please.
Or should I try an old style plunger?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be careful with plungers. Some vans have push fit pipes.. Last thing you want is to blow off a pipe somewhere you cant get at to fix. Motorhome drainage is not like houses, small 1" pipe. Being on an angle can make a lot of difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Several vans I have looked at because of very slow drainage had no vent from the waste tank. So any water going down the pipe needs to displace the same volume of air from the tank. Some manufacturers used to rely on venting via the shower drain, but the advent of "traps" to prevent smells now resists this ability. An empty tank with the drain open should allow the sink to empty fast. If not you have at best a partial blockage in the piping

As said, resist the urge to go at it with a plunger for the reason given, joints can separate and also the risk of damage to the sink itself

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
yes some are often slow - when in the Northern hemisphere wizz the water round clockwise and the reverse in the south.

Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
Our Autoquest 196 has the same problem, the mechanic at the dealership told us that this is a common design problem due to the sink being over the fridge. On further research it has been known as a design fault for many years, disappointing that Elddis haven't sorted it, not what you expect from a brand new motorhome! Our low tech solution is indeed a cheap plunger, seems to work but extremely frustrating.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
If you can follow the pipes to the waste look for kinks or tight bents that you may be able to ease.

Golden Graham !

Free Member
Nov 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion1
Exp
10yrs
Ours is brand new so no chance of being blocked, but incredibly slow to drain.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
This may sound like a wind up buy bare with me. If you can take the pipe off under the sink ..... Blow down it and see what resistance there is. Assuming no pipe kinks it can indicate in my case there was no air vent from main tank. Added one myself and replaced some kinked pipe and although not perfect is a lot better.

OP
OP
Mona Owner
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks for all your useful information. Much to think about. Many thanks. Alan

Bigbass

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV 60 Chatsw
Exp
5 years but tent camper previously
Our new CV60 had a similar problem and the waste tank was slow to empty through the little grey tap. On the back of this tap is a push fit larger pipe which I removed. The water flow increased and brought with it plastic swarf and other rubbish from the instalation I assume, even a black plastic disc from the hole cutter when the pipe had been fitted. I now back wash the outlet after each trip and the flows are much better.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
MoHo sinks are very slow, our washroom one gallops out but the kitchen ones are very slow!
Angle of the van helps a little, and I do use a small plunger (found a small one in France) but use it seldom and very carefully!
Best to either throw water in hedge/down a drain or just walk away & do something else!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back