Sink/drainer cover shattered - Chinchilla Glass - YIKES!! (1 Viewer)

KeithS

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2009
Christmas day evening we were relaxing watching the TV in the van (Autosleeper Symbol) down here in Benidorm, when suddenly there was an almighty BANG and thousands of glass fragments ended up all over the place.

For a few seconds we couldn't quite get our heads around what had happened! Had we been the victim of a sniper attack! Turned out the glass cover that pulls down over the sink/drainer had spontaneously shattered. It took us about an hour to clear it all up and, of course, we're still finding bits and pieces around!

There was nothing much on the cover, no significant weight, just a cool electric kettle and a couple of cups. There was nothing hot near it and no-one was touching it at the time. We have had the van for 3+ years and no previous issues with the cover. There was a label on it saying how tough the glass was, apparently virtually unbreakable!

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of this? Are these covers easy to get hold of as far as replacement is concerned?

Thanks

Keith

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Try C A K Tanks, I think they flog 'em.

Getting dangerous being a M/Homer, Hymers with exploding headlights, now Autosleepers:Sad:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi
Sorry to hear of the problem. I have heard of one of these covers shattering on a Timberland, but that was when the Gas had been left on with the cover closed.:RollEyes:
I have found Autosleepers very good for parts at reasonable prices, otherwise I would suggest trying http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That happened to us while we were driving, the side panel of the cooker just disintegrated we assumed it was a bumpy road although it wasn't, just had to live with it, bit different from the whole cooker top though. very stange to just spontaneously smash though :Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
normally toughened glass only breaks if it is twisted, under stress or from excessive heat or cold in a localised place.
if there was something hard under the edge of it like a grain of rice then an amount of weight somewhere then it may smash but unlikely.

are all the supporting stoppers present?? if one is missing it can put enough twist on it for the sun through the window to cause a hot spot and over stress it as it cools.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Olearys motorhomes sell them. :thumb:

A quick google search will get you there number.

Never heard of exploding tops before. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have known of more than one go before. a possible cause is stiff hinges that dont open or close fully

replacement is a simple task of undoing and replacing a few screws

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back