Single Mum Seeks Help (1 Viewer)

R

rebel

Deleted User
Hi Guys and Girls, just joined today you seem a friendly bunch :Smile:

I need some advice Im looking for a CHEAP but reliable motorhome (being now on my tod:cry:) suitable for me and my 2 children. I have no idea where to start make, etc or even if I will find anything within a very tight budget any suggestions as to where to staart looking greatfully received............

:thumb:

regards

Jayne

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Jayne

Welcome to the FUN site.......we are a pretty laid back bunch here so I am sure you will enjoy our company >:)

If you could give us some idea of budget that would be a big help, as for finding a vehicle, there are loads out there and with some careful investigation I am sure you will find something suitable.

We have a very helpful and friendly membership so feel free to ask any questions you might have, help will always be at hand :winky:

2escapees

Deleted User
Hi

Jayne

More details needed before you can get a good response. How often do you intend to use it, how old are the children, where will you travel, what sort of budget? etc

Good luck there will be lots of good suggestions coming you way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
:Blush:

Silly me showing my inexperience.:Doh:Hey dead chuffed to get quick replies tho :whatthe: So here goes 2 boys aged 7 and 10 use as much as possible school holidays (petrol/diesel money permitting).
Budget now again apologies :Sad: if I dont stand a chance of anything, but you dont know if you dont ask ! around £5,000 Does that sound plausible or should I be looking at alternatives ?
I did think caravan cos I do have a towbar on my car but have never towed before, thought motorhome would be easier.
Hope this give you enough to help further. I live in Boston.....

regards

Jayne:thumb:

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
:Blush:Silly me showing my inexperience.:whatthe:Hey dead chuffed to get quick replies tho So here goes 2 boys aged 7 and 10 use as much as possible school holidays (petrol/diesel money permitting).
Budget now again apologies if I dont stand a chance of anything, but you dont know if you dont ask ! around £5,000 Does that sound plausible or should I be looking at alternatives ?
I did think caravan cos I do have a towbar on my car but have never towed before, thought motorhome would be easier.

regards
ps bet theres away of linking this to the 1st message also that I havent worked out yet bit of a tecnephobic

Jayne

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:Blush:Silly me showing my inexperience.:whatthe:Hey dead chuffed to get quick replies tho So here goes 2 boys aged 7 and 10 use as much as possible school holidays (petrol/diesel money permitting).
Budget now again apologies if I dont stand a chance of anything, but you dont know if you dont ask ! around £5,000 Does that sound plausible or should I be looking at alternatives ?

regards
ps bet theres away of linking this to the 1st message also that I havent worked out yet bit of a tecnephobic

Jayne

Hi Jayne,

We were also on a similar budget.

Wanted a Motorhome after finding a Caravan not suitable for us.

Yes, vans are available for that sort of money.They would be quite old and possibly needing some work.Prices tend to inflate once the season gets under way.

I'm lucky insomuch as I'm very Mechanically and Electrical minded and do all the work/restoration myself.It's a hobby as well as Recreational pursuit.

Our first one was A Bedford CF Diesel which had the right layout for us.

Yes, £5000 is a bit tight, but you may find something around.

Bear in mind though, there is the mechanical upkeep, tax, insurance, MOT issues to take into account.These you do not have with a Caravan.

We found the Motorhome route more attractive for us as it is kept stocked and ready to run.

Hope you find something.

Keep in touch should you need further assistance.:roflmto:

Welcome to Motorhome Fun.>:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Hi Jayne

A motorhome is easier but towing a caravan isn't difficult, basically a motorhome is great for touring while a caravan is great for longer stays plus you have the car for outings while on site without packing up.

With your budget you could pick up a really tasty 4/5 berth caravan and still have a few a bob to go on holiday, no extra road tax, MOT or compulsory insurance and with a couple of growing and no doubt lively lads who would probably prefer staying on one site for a week or so rather than touring, a caravan may well be the better choice, if your not confident about towing, the Caravan Club ( there may be other schools ) run one day towing lessons.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Item number: 150201927187
Ebay.

Local To you but needs some work.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,be very carefull buying sub £5,000 m/h - most are well past there sellby date!If you find somthing please take someone who knows about m/hs a bit you could easyily buy a lot of probs and waste your cash.Look at Scotjimlands advise, but if you are sure you want m/h route shop around and always be prepaired to walk away!!!You may get a little granny(no ofence to grannys)>:) who is selling up and asures you it is in good nick,but remember chanches are it is a dog:Eeek:.Be v/carefull:thumb: hope it works out OK and enjoy your purchase no matter what:thumb:You may feel like yours is the oldest tatiest van on the field but it won't be Enjoy whatever you get.
DAMP IS A BIG NO NO IN YOUR CASE!! unless you are v/handy>:)
Terry

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I agree with the obvious experience of others, the" most for the least" would be a caravan, and if you do a lot of running around, a car would be cheaper to run, also easier if you have to visit car parks etc. in town (do your local car parks have height barriers) I don't know of any multi-story parks with access for M-homes. None of these will stop you, but just make you think a bit.
Best of luck, Nigel

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
Hi Jayne

Welcome to the FUN site.......we are a pretty laid back bunch here so I am sure you will enjoy our company >:)

If you could give us some idea of budget that would be a big help, as for finding a vehicle, there are loads out there and with some careful investigation I am sure you will find something suitable.

We have a very helpful and friendly membership so feel free to ask any questions you might have, help will always be at hand :winky:

Hi There

Thanks for beign so friendly
Silly me showing my inexperience.Hey dead chuffed to get quick replies tho So here goes 2 boys aged 7 and 10 use as much as possible school holidays (petrol/diesel money permitting).

regards

Jayne

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
Hi Jayne

A motorhome is easier but towing a caravan isn't difficult, basically a motorhome is great for touring while a caravan is great for longer stays plus you have the car for outings while on site without packing up.

With your budget you could pick up a really tasty 4/5 berth caravan and still have a few a bob to go on holiday, no extra road tax, MOT or compulsory insurance and with a couple of growing and no doubt lively lads who would probably prefer staying on one site for a week or so rather than touring, a caravan may well be the better choice, if your not confident about towing, the Caravan Club ( there may be other schools ) run one day towing lessons.

Hi There

You could be right I didnt think about the one vehicle bit and we are looking for a longer stay rather than a couple of nights. Many Thanks for your advice will check it out.

regards Jayne

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi Jayne

Quite a few of us have been caravaner's and with your budget would be safer getting a caravan as you can afford a decent one.

You would have far more space than a smaller motor home.

Hope you get something sorted but get someone with some knowhow to look anything over before you part with your cash.

Basically all of us don't want to see you buy a lemon:winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yep,

Caravans the way to go.:thumb:

You'll get quite a reasonable one for that money.Just get it checked out first for damp, corrosion etc.

All the Best.:roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi jayne,
the caravan option does seem best on your budget.:thumb:
just wondering what car you drive as this can affect the size of caravan you can tow.

john.

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
caravan it is then

Hi Jayne

Quite a few of us have been caravaner's and with your budget would be safer getting a caravan as you can afford a decent one.

You would have far more space than a smaller motor home.

Hope you get something sorted but get someone with some knowhow to look anything over before you part with your cash.

Basically all of us don't want to see you buy a lemon:winky:

Hi There

from reading all your helpful comments I think a caravan is probably the best .. Only need a 4 berth. Do you know of any good caravan dealers around Boston ? I have searched on ebay (a tip given by another site member) but I am a bit reluctant to bid on things I cant see and dont really want to drag the boys halfway around the county looking at possible duds. Like you say I should be able to afford something decent .

thanks to all of you for your help and advice much appreciated.

Regards

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
hi jayne,
the caravan option does seem best on your budget.:thumb:
just wondering what car you drive as this can affect the size of caravan you can tow.

john.

2 litre 4 x 4 so should be ok I think?>:)

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Hi Jayne
Have a look at Sutterton Caravans tel: 01205 460485

Corky 8

Free Member
Oct 28, 2007
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
off and on since the 70 s
:thumb:Hi Jane, the Problem you have no matter what you go for be it a Caravan or a Motorhome or for that matter a caravannette/camper , Is 1. Affordability 2. the Sleeping arrangements 3. cooking area +Dining area, a Three or four berth Motorhome would suit your needs but not your pocket (for one you wont have to keep spending on) a 4 berth caravan would also suit your needs providing your ok with towing Caravans, and have some where to park it and your car when not in use, A Caravannette/Camper would probably be your best bet, (if you can afford to run a car and a camper even better ) Small enough to drive, easy to park, Better on fuel, especially if you get a diesel model ,sleeping arrangments might be a bit cramped ,but that adds to the adventure and you can always buy a free standing awning then the Lads can camp when its warm enough and sleep in the Camper when its not, I have had 3 VW Caravannettes/Camper and have nothing but praise for them ,the diesels go on forever, We had our 4 kids and us both, sleep in a Four berth Vw for a week , :Eeek: and now the kids all in their late 20,s and 30,s still remember it as a great time together, Take your Time Choosing and spend wisely, and Good Luck to you, Corky:thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Of course another idea, something like this would be a little less daunting than a fullsize caravan from a towing point of view :Smile:
Link Removed

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
:thumb:Hi Jane, the Problem you have no matter what you go for be it a Caravan or a Motorhome or for that matter a caravannette/camper , Is 1. Affordability 2. the Sleeping arrangements 3. cooking area +Dining area, a Three or four berth Motorhome would suit your needs but not your pocket (for one you wont have to keep spending on) a 4 berth caravan would also suit your needs providing your ok with towing Caravans, and have some where to park it and your car when not in use, A Caravannette/Camper would probably be your best bet, (if you can afford to run a car and a camper even better ) Small enough to drive, easy to park, Better on fuel, especially if you get a diesel model ,sleeping arrangments might be a bit cramped ,but that adds to the adventure and you can always buy a free standing awning then the Lads can camp when its warm enough and sleep in the Camper when its not, I have had 3 VW Caravannettes/Camper and have nothing but praise for them ,the diesels go on forever, We had our 4 kids and us both, sleep in a Four berth Vw for a week , :Eeek: and now the kids all in their late 20,s and 30,s still remember it as a great time together, Take your Time Choosing and spend wisely, and Good Luck to you, Corky:thumb:

Hi Corky

What a great idea hadnt even given that a thought. Will look into the possibilities, I still like the idea of just upping and going if you know what I mean that's the freedom of a motorhome over a caravan you can just take off when you please. My only problem would be once on site could afford another vehicle but cant drive both together!!! Dont suppose VW's tow small cars!!!!! now that would be a solution. Thanks for all your advice will investiate further.

regards

OP
OP
R

rebel

Deleted User
Of course another idea, something like this would be a little less daunting than a fullsize caravan from a towing point of view :Smile:
Link Removed
:Smile:

Hey now that's neat I have heard about these folding tent thingys but have never actually seen one...This could well be a solution to both the towing and the car once on site problem. Do they take a lot of setting up (remember I will be the only adult) once on site?

regards

Jayne

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
No idea I'm afraid, never owned one.
Why not send the seller a message and ask the question - it won't cost you anything :Smile:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
We used to tow a small 2 berth caravan with a VW camper... best of both worlds! Just as easy as a car when it comes to parking for shopping:winky:

Watch out though 'cos many of them are overpriced...cult and nostalgia:Eeek:

Trailer tents might suit some folks but there's still only thin 'canvas' between you and the elements:Sad:

If you're going to venture across the water a camper van is usually cheaper than a car/caravan combo on the ferries...

Whichever option you decide to go for don't rush into a decision... sleep on it:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you could also lok at some self builds,BUT make sure you get a good quality conversion not a cobbled together one,these will be a decent van within your buget and should give a few yrs untroubled service/DO NOT BID ON ANYTHING FROM EBAY BUT GO LOOK AT THEM
terry

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi you could also lok at some self builds,BUT make sure you get a good quality conversion not a cobbled together one,these will be a decent van within your buget and should give a few yrs untroubled service/DO NOT BID ON ANYTHING FROM EBAY BUT GO LOOK AT THEM
terry

Totally agree with the Never bid on EBAY items .

Use Ebay to find anything local and always view first, preferably with someone used to vehicles re Rust points, Service History and Motorhome / Caravan Build experience.

Any signs of damp, best left alone as could be expensive to rectify.

We have visited many Vans and most look good in pics but are less than satisfactory when viewed.

If in doubt, leave the vehicle.You could end up with something that will be unroadworthy or cost the earth to make it so.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:Smile:

Hey now that's neat I have heard about these folding tent thingys but have never actually seen one...This could well be a solution to both the towing and the car once on site problem. Do they take a lot of setting up (remember I will be the only adult) once on site?

regards

Jayne

hi jayne,
the poor relations may be able to answer some of your questions as they have a folder/trailer tent.:thumb:

john.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back