Single hardstanding bolthole - possible or not? (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So how do these people go on who have a large piece of land attached to their house, they put a shed on it for two sheep, and have a caravan at the side of the shed for 'when they are cutting the grass, dealing with the sheep, etc' .... THEY don't need any permission do they? I know a couple of people who do that, and there doesn't seem to be any checks made as to are the people in the van the ones living in the local house...

Succinctly put, what I mean is, there doesn't seem to be any checking up on vans in a field on their own... so it seems to me to be worth the risk.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
You need change of use, possibly for hardstandings, but you can use any land for a Certificated Location. Car park, rugby ground, race course, field orchard

You would only be able to allow people who are Funsters, but to be honest, your not oblidge to take anyone
Keep up Eddie, providing the licence issuer i.e. Fun, or MCC do not restrict use ANYONE can use a CL, CS, CFL, obviously the big two restrict use but natural England after talks with DEFRA, determined it is a matter of choice for the issuing authority.

Reactions: GJH
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But maybe it's a viable option ......... :Smile:
I think we are straying from your op a bit here, in the beginning you wanted a bit of ground you could stay on occasionly for yourself only now we are getting into full blown sites with electric and all the trimmings, which I don't think you have much hope in getting, everyone around will be against it, as I said if you keep it simple and just do it , no one will say a word.

Reactions: maz

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
So how do these people go on who have a large piece of land attached to their house, they put a shed on it for two sheep, and have a caravan at the side of the shed for 'when they are cutting the grass, dealing with the sheep, etc' .... THEY don't need any permission do they? I know a couple of people who do that, and there doesn't seem to be any checks made as to are the people in the van the ones living in the local house...

Succinctly put, what I mean is, there doesn't seem to be any checking up on vans in a field on their own... so it seems to me to be worth the risk.
They still need planning permission Joy most get it on agricultural grounds and limited to their use and lifetime It depends how many days a year it is occupied.
Caravan = non agricultural and requires (officially) a change of use just to park it there unless it is within the curtilage of your main house.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to disagree but as I have already said , in this village we have one transformer for about 20 houses and it comes past on 4 wires which is then joined to the houses randomly off the bottom one and one of the othersof them to each house
Agreed, but you still have a transformer in the substation reducing the voltage to 230v......the substation will receive between 11000 and 44000 volts as it will continue on to other substations.

The pole mounted transformers are for low demand areas....as i said ours only feeds two houses so a second purpose built substation would be both unneccesary and expensive.

It already comes from a substation locally but too far away to deliver 230v from there so its sent from the substation at a far higher voltage the reduced to 230v when it reaches our pole mounted transformer

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Keep up Eddie, providing the licence issuer i.e. Fun, or MCC do not restrict use ANYONE can use a CL, CS, CFL, obviously the big two restrict use but natural England after talks with DEFRA, determined it is a matter of choice for the issuing authority.
We'd only want to use a CL with other "Funsters" though, wouldn't we;) Your right of course, I remember reading somthing along those lines.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If you go for a Fun CL your allowed up to five "members" vans at any one time and no "one" van is allowed to stay for more than 28 consequetive nights. So if you had a night away every no and again it is practically impossible to police for the local authority to be honest.

Also as I pointed out to a planning officer some years ago, if a motorhome leaves the site at 10.00pm on Thursday to go shopping at the Tesco's 24 hour supermarket, and comes back at 2.00am Friday morning, that legally would constitue leaving the site. The Act states nothing about being away from dusk to dawn.

All you would have to do is organise a dump and fresh water to comply with the Act and get Jim to make you a Motorhome Fun Certificated site.

I did hear that Jim is looking double the number of Fun CL's so now would be a good time

As it would be very much a do-it-yourself site , it would probably work best with just Funsters able to use it. ::bigsmile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Crumbs.... is that because it is attached to your business? How did they justify that?
No sadly we needed a three phase supply to run 50 hook ups, and buildings, so it had to come across from Taunton racecourse across a couple of fields.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Could be a case for joining forces with another couple of people similarly inclined.
Not such a good idea as any one person could breach the regulations and stuff it up for everyone else, as soon a 2-3 vans pull on the locals will think it a gypsy encampment and go all out to have you moved on or at least watch to make sure no one overstays the 28 days, it is a minefield. Even agricultural use is only considered if you have the means of earning the minimum agricultural wage from the holding and these days that is deemed to be in excess of 40 acres to achieve it. You could always spend your cash on a small farm in Bulgaria and spend winters ther, its cheap as chips, hee hee.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

My point entirely, I suppose it depends quite a bit where you intend having it, if it was round here , no one would ever bother about your van on a bit of ground if it wasn't there all the time but if you are near to atown or where there are lots of campsites, things would be very different.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I think we are straying from your op a bit here, in the beginning you wanted a bit of ground you could stay on occasionly for yourself only now we are getting into full blown sites with electric and all the trimmings, which I don't think you have much hope in getting, everyone around will be against it, as I said if you keep it simple and just do it , no one will say a word.

Straying from the OP? - or lateral thinking to come up with a possible solution? A DIY Funster CL is hardly a 'full blown site with electric and all the trimmings'. :wub:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Straying from the OP? - or lateral thinking to come up with a possible solution? A DIY Funster CL is hardly a 'full blown site with electric and all the trimmings'. :wub:
It is in the eyes of your possible neibours

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not knocking your ideas , just my opinion

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As I said earlier, a bloke has just done what you first suggested near here and he just gets on with it , no problem.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Sounds that a 'private' CL with named 'campers' (tenants) ?

If there were no buildings (sheds), extra cars etc and the 'campers' moved off from time to time using the CL as a 'home' base...................might work............as long as it looked like a CL

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we built this house we were warned by the planning officer that if we wanted a caravan (static or otherwise) on site to live in whilst we built we would need planning consent (some sort of temporary consent - can't remember exactly) but if we had similar as a temporary site office and it wasn't used as a residence no permission would be required (at this I had a very large wink) so to make sure the site office had a big sign with "SITE OFFICE" in the window. We weren't living on site so it didn't matter.

If someone objects you will probably have problems, if they don't, you won't. Planning officers generally have enough to do without looking for new work.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
solar panels and a back up genny

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When we built this house we were warned by the planning officer that if we wanted a caravan (static or otherwise) on site to live in whilst we built we would need planning consent (some sort of temporary consent - can't remember exactly) but if we had similar as a temporary site office and it wasn't used as a residence no permission would be required (at this I had a very large wink) so to make sure the site office had a big sign with "SITE OFFICE" in the window. We weren't living on site so it didn't matter.

If someone objects you will probably have problems, if they don't, you won't. Planning officers generally have enough to do without looking for new work.

There you are Maz... just stick a SITE OFFICE sign in your window. :) Good luck. Hope you get sorted. x

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I can sell you a bit of land as a bolthole to put your van on...

Electricity could be set up on a solar system.

No one would worry about how many days you parked there as no one would know.

Problem is it isn't in Blighty but, as a bonus, you might have a ride on mower to play with! :rofl:

(Funsters sometimes drop by to say "hello".)

JJ :cool:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I can sell you a bit of land as a bolthole to put your van on...

Electricity could be set up on a solar system.

No one would worry about how many days you parked there as no one would know.

Problem is it isn't in Blighty but, as a bonus, you might have a ride on mower to play with! :rofl:

(Funsters sometimes drop by to say "hello".)

JJ :cool:
how much, please?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A CL would work, and while you would have to move every 28 days the law does not state how long, in fact the law does not actually state that you cannot stay over 28 days. However all exempted organisations are asked to abide with Defra guidelines which stipulate the 28 days rule. When the act was written the exemptions were added for recreation rather than living on so they never thought to add a max stay to the act, so Defra by restricting it to 28 days doing so in the spirit of the act.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A CL would work, and while you would have to move every 28 days the law does not state how long, in fact the law does not actually state that you cannot stay over 28 days. However all exempted organisations are asked to abide with Defra guidelines which stipulate the 28 days rule. When the act was written the exemptions were added for recreation rather than living on so they never thought to add a max stay to the act, so Defra by restricting it to 28 days doing so in the spirit of the act.

Would playing 'Musical Motorhomes' between the pitches be within the rules ?

:rolleyes:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
When I built my house had 2 caravans, a static and a motorhomes on it, no one took a blind bit of notice including the various planners and environment agency staff who were frequent visitors.

There are many answers to all of your questions Joy and most solutions will involve a considerable expense. Find the plot that you are interested in first and then do the sums. You might well be better off finding a cl in a location you fancy and doing a deal for extended stays.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would playing 'Musical Motorhomes' between the pitches be within the rules ?

:rolleyes:

Thing is, if the council or Defra think your taking the pee they will take action. CLs are for recreation. If the vans have their own veg patch then the issuing organisation might lose its ability to issue exemptions.

Reactions: GJH

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
nope musical motorhomes would not work. Noting Jims post then of course raises another problem. That of actually getting a licence. If the issuing authority know what is going on then their licence is at risk so I assume a CFL would be out of the question, where to next. Like most things of this nature discussing them on an open forum effectively puts a stop to them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back