dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
hiya sgnv..
i called my little red van rosa after my grandmother too, seemed so appropriate, she was another intrepid traveller, not in a van though, but all across the usa..
and welcome to the madhouse (mhf) .. :)

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
hiya sgnv..
i called my little red van rosa after my grandmother too, seemed so appropriate, she was another intrepid traveller, not in a van though, but all across the usa..
and welcome to the madhouse (mhf) .. :)

Thank you for the welcome. So it is not that mad at all to call a van after my gran. Sometimes I wonder what she would have done if she wouldn't have been so stuck in the conventions of the time as she sure had her pretty unconventional sides.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
caravan park warden

@hilldweller Brian, can you explain please? Is it very different from my use of "warden"

Nothing to do with you Sophie, sorry for using your post for language purpose!

Welcome from me too. Hoping to meet you sometime in France!;)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
@hilldweller Brian, can you explain please? Is it very different from my use of "warden"

Nothing to do with you Sophie, sorry for using your post for language purpose!

Welcome from me too. Hoping to meet you sometime in France!;)(y)

Traffic warden, church warden, prison warden, sheltered housing warden, country park rangers get called wardens, caravan park warden. I'm sure I've missed out a few, it's one of those multiple function words, tends to involve looking after something/someone in some way. I'm not English myself, find words quite fascinating and nobody has ever been able to explain the difference in pronunciation of Liverpool and liverbird!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Not to be confused with prison warder who is the erk whereas the warden is the boss!:LOL::LOL:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Traffic warden, church warden, prison warden, sheltered housing warden, country park rangers get called wardens, caravan park warden. I'm sure I've missed out a few, it's one of those multiple function words, tends to involve looking after something/someone in some way. I'm not English myself, find words quite fascinating and nobody has ever been able to explain the difference in pronunciation of Liverpool and liverbird!

Oh right , you're not English! What are you then? Brian told me that warden in may case was too "strict" like in prison warden . I am a stadium "warden" and was told to prefer carer (I think ... LOL Terrible , I can't remember now! @hilldweller )

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I suspect he was thinking of "Caretaker" which pretty much has its literal meaning! You take care of the place!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@yodeli warden is often used as a negative description for someone who has authority over something/someone and likes others to know it so can be a bit arrogant/overbearing etc! It doesn't mean that everyone whose job title is 'warden' is though so don't feel you have to 'live up' to being like that!!! :D

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I suspect he was thinking of "Caretaker" which pretty much has its literal meaning! You take care of the place!

Oh yes , that's the one... Silly me! There's no more room in my very personnal brain hard drive!..:LOL:

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Oh right , you're not English! What are you then? Brian told me that warden in may case was too "strict" like in prison warden . I am a stadium "warden" and was told to prefer carer (I think ... LOL Terrible , I can't remember now! @hilldweller )

I'm Belgian, although have been in this country for over 22 years now, nearly half my life, but guess it is the passport that decides. Not that I speak an awful lot of foreign anymore. Somebody started speaking Dutch to me a few weeks ago and I ended up looking like a fish, still understand it but can't speak it! Kind of waiting what Brexit will end up meaning for people like me.
If I take a warden job I'd intend it in the caretaking way although I do have my bossyboots moments.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
:welco: You have come to the right place. Lots of us solo campers here.

@movan Joy you've missed another one to join your coven

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Watch if Clive, our group = powerx:-)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:welco: You have come to the right place. Lots of us solo campers here.

@movan Joy you've missed another one to join your coven

I'm still working on the spell Clive to bring her to us ... also another spell to get a new member ... watch your boobies .. ;)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
SG

Welcome from me also.

I have waited to reply until I saw what advice you got and what feedback you put in.

Let me state my experience before I respond to your request for advice.

I am male and at age 68 I bought my first MH(2003) secondhand in 2009, whilst still working part-time. I was solo for the first 2 years, in UK - now partnered up, but I know the solo lifestyle. I went on a campsite for 2 days early on and since then have only been on 4 in 7 years, incl. 2 CLs. The rest has all been wildcamping/Aires and a few friends' properties. I lived in London(Barnes, so in LEZ - pain in the arse), but now in Poland.

So I have similar experience to your intended use of the MH, except not female.

Let me pass on my advice in small chunks.

Security

The female aspect - I doubt whether there is much personal safety risk for either sex. I have never felt scared, but if you feel more secure with extra protection just do it. When one has the curtains closed or in bed how does anyone know of the occupant is male or female?

Only time I thought we had a problem was waking up in Slovakia to a banging noise - nobody to be seen - turns it it was the boiler trying to fire up:LOL:

Mechanical

I did not see if you are buying new or secondhand, maybe with a warranty.

Either way insist that they supply a manufacturers' 'Owner's manual' for the base vehicle(FIAT?) - if they say they have not got one, make them get one or you will not accept delivery. Also for the Base vehicle it would be good to buy a 'Workshop manual' e.g. from Haynes - even if you are not mechanical you can hand it to a non-FIAT garage, even in Europe, to work from as most of it will be diagrams.

Carry some basic tools - normal, 'Philips' and precision(tiny) screwdrivers and a socket set. You might not be able to use them, but you might meet 'A man who can'

The above information should enable you to go to a garage and get them to sort out any problems with engine, steering, brakes etc.

There should also be a manual for the Habitation part of the vehicle. Unfortunately these vary in quality of information and I do not know what Hobby are like - our Niesmann+Bischoff one is great.

Even if there is a Manual it is very important that when taking delivery of the MH to insist that the Dealer takes you through all the operations of the systems - DO NOT SIGN DELVERY ACCEPTANCE UNTIL THIS IS DONE - if they say they do not know how something works then insist they find somebody who does. [This Lawyer's advice]

Take video, photos, notes of all they tell you.

After accepting delivery, then park nearby, some will let you stay on their premises. Then you are close for asking further for anything you do not understand.

ELECTRICS

Unlike a house with 230v supply, except for being on electric hook-up (EHU) on a campsite, everything has to work off 12v from the batteries. This system can have its own problems - mostly due to loss of voltage due to resistance caused partly by manufacturers using small cables and partly by bad connections.

When faults occur one indispensible bit of kit is a 'Multimeter', basically a Voltmeter with additional functions. BUY one and learn to use it, preferably a fairly professional one not a cheap one from Halfords.

Look after you Batteries - NEVER let them drop below 12v, preferably not below 12.2v. If they are 'Wet' i.e. lead/acid and are not sealed, they need to be kept topped up with distilled water to keep the plates covered.

Laundry

Should not be a worry for your first year and there are the campsites offering temporary use of facilities.

MH Clubs.

I joined both CC and C&CC in first year - never used the former and the latter will accept bookings from non-members but charge a bit ?25% more. So maybe not bother - unless you want to mix with others to gain knowledge.

MH Website Technical Help

There is another website where some very good professionals, better than I, also answer questions. I will try to get that to you privately, so as not upset Jim the boss on here.

If you just follow a few basic rules and keep asking questions you will be fine.

Good luck with your adventure.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
SGNV

I tried to send you a private message on this forum but it exceeded the permitted characters.(400?)

Can you please send a quick private message with your e-mail address so that I can send the info there.

Thanks

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
SGNV

I tried to send you a private message on this forum but it exceeded the permitted characters.(400?)

Can you please send a quick private message with your e-mail address so that I can send the info there.

Thanks

Geoff
That's a new one on me as I regularly send messages much bigger than that! :xblink:

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016

Thanks. Part of me knows that it surely can't be rocket science. But the part of me that needs to get worried about things needs to find something to get into a flapdoodle poodle about. Already had a look under the bonnet and checked the oil, the other bits actually say on it what it is. Still will ask a colleague this week to talk me through it all again and show me the tyre pressure routine. When I picked it up I concentrated on how the inside works, I can only take in that much at a time.
And then I can get on and get worried about something else... Just parking up here after two weeks away I suddenly realised how BIG the thing is, OMG did I drive that???? (yes ma'm, 675 miles and you are both still in one piece).
Anyway, thank you so much for the reassurance, much appreciated.
Sophie

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I'm still working on the spell Clive to bring her to us ... also another spell to get a new member ... watch your boobies .. ;)

Coven?? Spell?? Think I'm lost. People generally think I'm a bit of a dragon, don't bother with spells, just throw some flames at it... :D

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
15781355_1509809545701226_7830342088686562482_n.jpg

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Well, back to work today (I live here) and what a fascinating insight in human nature. Two people could not even get it out of their mouth and ask me about the big thing in the car park (one of them did have a go at another colleague saying I must be out of my mind for wasting my money like that, why don't I do something sensible like buy a flat). Another took until 2pm and then asked in the same, trying to be nonchalant, way you'd ask someone if they bought a new pair of socks. Whilst drama queen sweetie went hysterical 'I'm so jealous, I'm not going to talk to you now for the rest of the year, can I come on an outing with you' and one of the sisters, who is 90, came to pat me on the arm, she used to go camping with her sister in her younger days, it is so lovely to be free, very brave of you. All very amusing.

Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
Hi there Sophie
I'm a newbie here too and looking to set out around the same time as you as a full time solo traveller
Was interested to hear you say you had applied for a campsite wardens job??
Was wondering if you had heard anything back?
Paul

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Hi there Sophie
I'm a newbie here too and looking to set out around the same time as you as a full time solo traveller
Was interested to hear you say you had applied for a campsite wardens job??
Was wondering if you had heard anything back?
Paul

I applied so far with both clubs as their process takes so long. Heard nothing from CAMC and should have an interview with C&CC in April or May, both for them and the Camping in the Forest subsection. If no luck then I will look at private campsites later on in the year. I think there is plenty of work around. Hope to work the summer season and then have a few months off over winter. Things are gradually taking shape. Good luck, keep us informed how you get on.
Sophie

Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
I applied so far with both clubs as their process takes so long. Heard nothing from CAMC and should have an interview with C&CC in April or May, both for them and the Camping in the Forest subsection. If no luck then I will look at private campsites later on in the year. I think there is plenty of work around. Hope to work the summer season and then have a few months off over winter. Things are gradually taking shape. Good luck, keep us informed how you get on.
Sophie
It's pretty much what I had in mind , work the summer and set off to warmer climates in the winter . A lot of private sites offer free pitch with hook up for a set amount of hours work which tbh is not really something I would be looking for unless it gave me the experience to get paid work further down the line
As for taking shape I haven't even bought the van yet!! But i have a plan which I have given a lot of thought to (probably the first time ever!) and hopefully it will be a reality next spring
Good luck to you too, I will be intrigued to see how you get on as it seems we both are wanting to follow similar paths
Paul

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
It's pretty much what I had in mind , work the summer and set off to warmer climates in the winter . A lot of private sites offer free pitch with hook up for a set amount of hours work which tbh is not really something I would be looking for unless it gave me the experience to get paid work further down the line
As for taking shape I haven't even bought the van yet!! But i have a plan which I have given a lot of thought to (probably the first time ever!) and hopefully it will be a reality next spring
Good luck to you too, I will be intrigued to see how you get on as it seems we both are wanting to follow similar paths
Paul

At the moment my planning is to stay in the UK in winter, I'm crazy enough to actually like winter. And the work I am after has to be paid, that is a reality of life, I'm not retired yet, the way things are going, I don't think I will ever be able to retire.
I do have a date, work here finishes on Dec 19th (although allowed to stay living here until the end of Jan). Wanted to get the van before Christmas to check out the winterised side (it works!) and to sort out all the little things that need sorting out on a second hand, getting there. Am taking it serious as I have bought this as other (more sensible?) people would buy a flat. But the more time I spend in it the happier I am about it. Taking off now every time I have my two days off together.
Take care and enjoy the adventure
Sophie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back