Single Beds -your ( constructive) input please (1 Viewer)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I want a new, twin single bed coachbuilt

55k max ( dont want German anyway) but happy if its sub 50k

Must have 4 berth,4 belts must be new or pre reg

Everything else would be a “desire” not “need” but would love some kind of garage

Got C1 entitlement
Ford or Fiat or Peugeot

Any suggestions or opinions, ideally from your personal experience
Thnks

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you do not want german what are you happy with. I'm sure you must relies that what is left is very restrictive in your choice in so far as layout and and quality. The layout you seek is very much a continental layout as in the uk island bed or standard double is the man layout
Swift do a single bed model but its upto you if would like to invest that amount of money in a brand that is struggling

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I cant afford German because NEW is more important to me than the brand
Thanks for the reply but I need some inspiration from someone please

Looked at Elddis 185/285,obvious lack of storage hit us but also this is clearly an entry level

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
You could try a nearly new Pilote P746GJ (4-berth) but it only comes with a listed payload of 490kg @3.5T. This probably translates to a realtime payload of about 360kg once the extras are added plus any extra build weight over the MIRO.

That payload would be hugely unsuitable for two adults and two children but you could add semi air and 225 rubber to re-register at 3850kg to give you circa 710kg of payload.

The van is configured in such a way that you could use most of the 710kg so it's worth a thought.

They rarely come up for sale though.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If New is your first option you may restrict yourself as to choice.

A couple of years old quality van may/will outstrip a poor quality new van.
Go through the list of all vans with the bed layout and other van essentials that you would desire then start looking at the new and used prices. You will be very surprised at the prices of used vans agains new.
Also take account of time of year.
ie now, if you buy you may pay a premium buying new and used . Look in the Autumn and you will get deals for new prices at old (new)stock and used vans with dealers trying to shift vans.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
You could also try the Bavaria T740 as that's almost the same van.

It may also give you the opportunity to get a brand new one if you play hardball with the dealer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If new is vital then at that budget you're restricting yourself to the lower end of the market and severely limiting your choice. I'd agree with the suggestion to look at 2-3 year old vans. You'll have many more options.

A 3 year old higher end van beats a new entry level one on all levels.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's a fantastic price Lenny.

As long as you have the time and are prepared to go through the import process yourself. There are some more costs associated with that although it's certainly still cheaper than buying here.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Might be a bit dearer now due to exchange rate but reckon you will still get one way under £50k.

Say you buy one for £50k in Germany or Belgium.

What's the real on the road in the UK cost once you've imported it and registered it and done whatever else you have to do?

Genuine question, not having a dig (y)

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi
Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions,

Shortlist is :
Swift 686
Roller Team Zefiro 685
Roller Team T line 785
Chausson Twin bed
Benimar Twin Bed

Looking for comments please, anyone got one / had one of these and love/hate it and why ?

I want to buy NEW from a UK dealer, happy to be at the “bottom” end of the market
Thanks

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
Hi

Shortlist is :
Swift 686
Roller Team Zefiro 685
Roller Team T line 785
Chausson Twin bed
Benimar Twin Bed

Looking for comments please, anyone got one / had one of these and love/hate it and why ?

I want to buy NEW from a UK dealer, happy to be at the “bottom” end of the market
Thanks
We’ve got an Elddis 185 which we absolutely love. We had a garage in our last Moho but don’t miss it!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi

Shortlist is :
Swift 686
Roller Team Zefiro 685
Roller Team T line 785
Chausson Twin bed
Benimar Twin Bed

Thanks

Both Roller Teams will give you a realtime payload of 300kg each so like my Pilote example you'll need to add the bits and re-register at 3850kg if you have a chance of using them legally and safely.

Are you shopping for 2 adults and 2 children or just 2 adults.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I would hardly describe Swift as an ailing company, they double profits last year on sales of 250million and are listed in the Times top 100 private Companies. I believe are the largest UK Manufacturer of Leisure vehicles .

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had a 2017 Swift 684 (don't see a 686 on their website) I uprated it to 3850 (there is a factory fit uprate available for £99 but only to 3700Kg), fitted self levelling (highly recommended) and VB full air on the rear, (not so highly recommended). Great motorhome. Big garage, However, consider having the dealer fit a second full size garage door level with the floor on the offside of the van instead of the "letterbox" door. Two singles or double or optional drop down bed for +2 or make up lounge double bed for +2

Shortcomings:- The dealer, who is always too busy and too expensive, Swift, who will not deal directly with its customers even for enquiries. As for the motorhome, pretty much exactly what we wanted.

The only reason we now have an Autosleeper is that after all the work to get it perfect, I was diagnosed with Glaucoma and the DVLA eye test for the Ci entitlement was too rigorous for me by a whisker and I can no longer drive over 3500Kg. Downrating was not an option with all the self levelling and full air systems as it would have meant counting how many spoons we were carrying for payload.

Good luck

Dennis

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Say you buy one for £50k in Germany or Belgium.

What's the real on the road in the UK cost once you've imported it and registered it and done whatever else you have to do?

Genuine question, not having a dig (y)
All 3 Hymers I have had (latest one year ago) i have imported, cost of import and get it on the road including VED under £500.

Breakdown:
24hr crossing £56
Fuel £75 (you would have that buying in UK)
Garage inspection £30
VCA £100
First time registration fee £55
VED £165
Postage S.D. X2, £12.80

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All 3 Hymers I have had (latest one year ago) i have imported, cost of import and get it on the road including VED under £500.

Breakdown:
24hr crossing £56
Garage inspection £30
VCA £100
VED £165
Postage S.D. X2, £12.80

That’s less than I thought it would be.

What about insurance to get it from the foreign dealer to home and what happens with VAT?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That’s less than I thought it would be.

What about insurance to get it from the foreign dealer to home and what happens with VAT?
I buy vat free and pay UK vat. Dealer drives van to port I follow in his car. Several insurance companies will cover you on a vin once on UK soil, could cost you a £25 cancellation fee if you change companies after its registered.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We had a 2017 Swift 684 (don't see a 686 on their website) I uprated it to 3850 (there is a factory fit uprate available for £99 but only to 3700Kg), fitted self levelling (highly recommended) and VB full air on the rear, (not so highly recommended). Great motorhome. Big garage, However, consider having the dealer fit a second full size garage door level with the floor on the offside of the van instead of the "letterbox" door. Two singles or double or optional drop down bed for +2 or make up lounge double bed for +2

Shortcomings:- The dealer, who is always too busy and too expensive, Swift, who will not deal directly with its customers even for enquiries. As for the motorhome, pretty much exactly what we wanted.

The only reason we now have an Autosleeper is that after all the work to get it perfect, I was diagnosed with Glaucoma and the DVLA eye test for the Ci entitlement was too rigorous for me by a whisker and I can no longer drive over 3500Kg. Downrating was not an option with all the self levelling and full air systems as it would have meant counting how many spoons we were carrying for payload.

Good luck

Dennis
Thanks Dennis- the sort of answer that helps me- cheers

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

Breakdown:
24hr crossing £56
Garage inspection £30
VCA £100
VED £165
Postage S.D. X2, £12.80

Thanks all- but can I get replies to original topic- Im not interested in importing one myself

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I know it doesnt help with your choice of vans but if you decide to buy late August to mid-Sep then your £ will go further. Our local dealer reduced his larger Elddis range from £49K to £42.5K in that period.

It's worth a thought, while at that price I would certainly take a punt.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I know it doesnt help with your choice of vans but if you decide to buy late August to mid-Sep then your £ will go further. Our local dealer reduced his larger Elddis range from £49K to £42.5K in that period.

It's worth a thought, while at that price I would certainly take a punt.
Thanks Andrew- good advice- I think the money I have lost on my current will not get any worse in 3 months
Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back