Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
One point that seems to be omitted is that longitudinal beds mostly shorten the living area. As I enjoy relaxing in the evening especially in inclement weather. I like to have 6 foot bench style seating in the lounging area but with the advent of longitudinal beds in the back the lounge area mostly seems to be around a small round table with the front captains seats turned around. Whilst these seats may be comfortable after being sat in them for many hours I would prefer to lounge in a "proper" lounge area. Currently the only modern vehicle layout I like is the Burstner tag axle . I dare say that someone will correct me but will still go with the transverse bed at rear and drop down double at front. If the person who needs to go to the loo in the middle of the night then sleep nearest the edge of the bed. Job done.
It would be interesting to find out the number of people who are for and against.(y):)
The French bed doesn’t cut off the living area because you can get the bathroom and wardrobe alongside it. This is my preferred layout.

Although I have to say I like the
MOBILVETTA TEKNO LINE K-YACHT 80

That drop down bed at the back gives you the best of all worlds. Would be the perfect van for you.

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Reply to Makingtrax. The French bed and and bathroom side by side does reduce the width of one or the other or both. also don't like the cutoff at the foot of the bed. I tried one on a Hymer but didn't like it. Still if it works for you it's down to your personal preferences.
Another thing is having your head to the rear. I've parked many a time in a layby and would not like to be headbutted by an HGV. Still may knock some sense in me.
Must admit that that MOBILVETTA TEKNO LINE K-YACHT 80 is one I have not seen before.
Thanks for the info. Do you work for Marquis? What's your commision. LOL
Thanks for the info. Must look into that.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have twin rear beds in My MLI hymer and I do not use them as I smack myself on the head with the stupid cupboards above the head space (lack of) I use the drop down and She! uses the back area and reads until god knows what time whilst I sleep. However the lounge area is rather small and the sink is ridiculously small. all for the rear bed area being larger. It was the best compromise that they had at the time though. Another thing is that the central fitting with the cushion is now a safety recall because the plywood fits on two NARROW fitting and the ply it seems has given way ( I imagine two fat Gremans having sex or climbing up the ladder) the answer is to fit two more thicker pieces for the supports and Lowdhams want me to drive 300 miles each way as it must be fitted by their experts!! They could post the two bits to me but no, they will not do that. I found my own answer and do it myself.
Motorhome do seem to be places for older people to use and the sleeping together is something that is getting rarer, I want to sleep and She! will read.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have twin rear beds in My MLI hymer and I do not use them as I smack myself on the head with the stupid cupboards above the head space (lack of)
In our Campscout the 'proper' way to lay on the single beds is with our heads at the rear next to the 2 rear doors and to sit-up we'd have to lean against the rear windows/blinds and be well away from the storage cubbies which are near the foot ends of the beds, consequently we are going to be sleeping the opposite way round, ie with our heads towards the front with the side walls of the fridge housing and the washroom providing 'headboards' and be able to sit up higher if we want to, plus we will then be next to the storage cubbies. This should also make it even easier to get in/out of the beds as we'll just have to swing our legs out rather than try to shuffle down over the three-quarter length centre cushion ... one of these days we MIGHT actually get out and use the blooming thing!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
In our Campscout the 'proper' way to lay on the single beds is with our heads at the rear next to the 2 rear doors and to sit-up we'd have to lean against the rear windows/blinds and be well away from the storage cubbies which are near the foot ends of the beds, consequently we are going to be sleeping the opposite way round, ie with our heads towards the front with the side walls of the fridge housing and the washroom providing 'headboards' and be able to sit up higher if we want to, plus we will then be next to the storage cubbies. This should also make it even easier to get in/out of the beds as we'll just have to swing our legs out rather than try to shuffle down over the three-quarter length centre cushion ... one of these days we MIGHT actually get out and use the blooming thing!

Are the mattresses tapered at that end? Or will you turn them round. I wouldn’t want to fall out! :LOL: Still waiting for our delivery date :rolleyes:

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
My wife and I are in the mid 40’s group. We have just swapped from a double that felt cramped and never having a good night sleep whilst away, to twin singles and having a great nights sleep; although I’ve been told that any action will be on my side; nothing new there:D

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Reply to Makingtrax. The French bed and and bathroom side by side does reduce the width of one or the other or both. also don't like the cutoff at the foot of the bed. I tried one on a Hymer but didn't like it. Still if it works for you it's down to your personal preferences.
Another thing is having your head to the rear. I've parked many a time in a layby and would not like to be headbutted by an HGV. Still may knock some sense in me.
Must admit that that MOBILVETTA TEKNO LINE K-YACHT 80 is one I have not seen before.
Thanks for the info. Do you work for Marquis? What's your commision. LOL
Thanks for the info. Must look into that.
The thought of being rear ended while I’m asleep is the stuff of nightmares. Thanks for that. :p

The bathroom may be narrower on a French bed style but it’s usually longer, and it gives the van a more spacious feel because you can see to the back of the van. Also it’s easier to move around because there’s no construction with the bathroom part way down the van. My Mrs isn’t as tall as me so she doesn’t mind the cut off bit.

Don’t think there is a perfect van but that Mobilvetta looks good in pictures, yet to see one live. :D

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have twin rear beds in My MLI hymer and I do not use them as I smack myself on the head with the stupid cupboards above the head space (lack of) I use the drop down and She! uses the back area and reads until god knows what time whilst I sleep. However the lounge area is rather small and the sink is ridiculously small. all for the rear bed area being larger. It was the best compromise that they had at the time though. Another thing is that the central fitting with the cushion is now a safety recall because the plywood fits on two NARROW fitting and the ply it seems has given way ( I imagine two fat Gremans having sex or climbing up the ladder) the answer is to fit two more thicker pieces for the supports and Lowdhams want me to drive 300 miles each way as it must be fitted by their experts!! They could post the two bits to me but no, they will not do that. I found my own answer and do it myself.
Motorhome do seem to be places for older people to use and the sleeping together is something that is getting rarer, I want to sleep and She! will read.
That’s Lowdhams for you. We’re waiting for several parts to arrive and will go over for a days fitting. Only 100 miles for us though.

Our last van was from Southdowns and when the charger broke they sent one through the post and the service manager gave me some pointers for fitting over the phone. They were a very good dealer. Couldn’t do enough to help with any problems. When you contact Lowdhams, it’s like you’re pestering them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are the mattresses tapered at that end? Or will you turn them round. I wouldn’t want to fall out! :LOL: Still waiting for our delivery date :rolleyes:
Yes there is a bit of narrowing but it doesn't extend that far down the side of the mattresses so it's nothing to worry about as it's mainly where your head goes and as a pillow still fits on the width of the mattress so that's all you really need there. This is the bed 'naked', I'll take some photos later of ours fully made up. The mattresses at their widest are about 32" I think so not that much smaller than a normal domestic single.

rear bed.JPG

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Sorry Makingtrax for giving you nightmares but saw a rear ender, or the remains of one in France. Rear of motorhome pushed in by an artic apparently reversing into a space and not realising it was there. About 3 foot rear mid section pushed in.
I still think that french beds waste space because transverse generally have a huge garage underneath. My kit wont fit under a french bed but must admit you can have a pillow fight without hitting the roof in yours with all that space above you. But all in all you are very right, there is no perfect motorhome but Jeremy Clarkson did show one on his show once. Look up the VANTARE PLATINUM PLUS.
Don't know about the motorhome it "only"costs 2.5 million dollars but couldn't afford the sports car underneath it. He showed a ferrari on a drop down slideout. I don't know about buying either but the running costs!!! WOW Now that would bankrupt me in a fortnight but I think I would have some serious fun in it. Take a look online, food for thought!:D(y)

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry Makingtrax for giving you nightmares but saw a rear ender, or the remains of one in France. Rear of motorhome pushed in by an artic apparently reversing into a space and not realising it was there. About 3 foot rear mid section pushed in.
I still think that french beds waste space because transverse generally have a huge garage underneath. My kit wont fit under a french bed but must admit you can have a pillow fight without hitting the roof in yours with all that space above you. But all in all you are very right, there is no perfect motorhome but Jeremy Clarkson did show one on his show once. Look up the VANTARE PLATINUM PLUS.
Don't know about the motorhome it "only"costs 2.5 million dollars but couldn't afford the sports car underneath it. He showed a ferrari on a drop down slideout. I don't know about buying either but the running costs!!! WOW Now that would bankrupt me in a fortnight but I think I would have some serious fun in it. Take a look online, food for thought!:D(y)
Ha ha! Just took a look. Not sure Saga would cover that!

There’s loads of space under our French bed, how much kit have you got? Couple of pairs of shorts and some Tshirts and I’m good to go. :D

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Although I have to say I like the
MOBILVETTA TEKNO LINE K-YACHT 80

Do yourself a really big favour and leave it on the dealers forecourt - that's where it really belongs due to its terrible realtime payload. It's not fit for purpose if registered at 3.5 or 3.65T.(y)

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Makingtrax. Yes you are right but you have area whereas I require height and the french bed needs to be higher. Don't like equipment up my rear end.:):D:whistle:(y)

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Do yourself a really big favour and leave it on the dealers forecourt - that's where it really belongs due to its terrible realtime payload. It's not fit for purpose if registered at 3.5 or 3.65T.(y)
It’s got a payload of 1/3 tonne. Wondering what you guys take with you. :D

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
1/3 of a tonne or 338kg to be specific. Two people plus supplies, fuel, clothes would soon eat up the payload. Three people no way. Family and your completely overweight NOT GOOD.:(:sneaky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Grianan photos of the beds as promised, sorry about them not being too good but it was raining so I didn't want to keep the doors open any longer than necessary:

DSCF0563.JPG
DSCF0570.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back