PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We have single beds in our new Campscout and it was one of the reasons why we changed from our Familyscout which has a transverse double ... I simply can't be doing with clambering over hubby to get in/out of bed ... and he farts ... so at least with singles he'll only gas himself (it doesn't seem to both the dogs under the duvet!).

As for the snoring ... that's not going to be so easy to sort as at present I give him a prod when he snores loudly which I won't be able to do easily however I have a secret weapon which I intend to splat him with which he hasn't noticed .... yet ... :D
Any use to you:)
CE06A992-4C85-4879-B32D-F622A7A68F8F.jpeg

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Seems they we
Last two van we have had twin singles most popular layout in Europe. Nice big drop down bed at the front for frolics.

And what about the shower, discovered recently the two of us fit in together with room to spare.:)
Never thought to ask about double showers to be honest. That’s going to be top of the list for the next van. :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Seems they we

Never thought to ask about double showers to be honest. That’s going to be top of the list for the next van. :D
... I bet your current van has a 'beam me up Scotty' one!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
WITH A NOTICE ON EVERY SEAT ON ALL THIER VANS SAYING !!! DO NOT SIT HERE !!!

They used to make you take your shoes off before going in the vans at their Telford showroom. At least they've changed that rule! :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Single beds are very practical. Try it/them. If you get the filler, you'll need to find somewhere to store it and the bottom sheet is going to be an 'interesting' shape - so I wouldn't bother.
An island bed is a 'nice' solution but usually requires a longer van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to understand the dogs; it's called 'bonding'.
... especially when they get their own back by farting under the covers too!!!! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
They used to make you take your shoes off before going in the vans at their Telford showroom. At least they've changed that rule! :)
I have to take my shoes off getting in the van, or I might as well have single beds :D

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I have to take my shoes off getting in the van, or I might as well have single beds :D

Well, I can recommend single beds. In our last Hymer (not purchased from Travelworld :)), we had a double bed. We're both only 5ft 6in, but we found the bed to be very cramped, and very hot in summer. Our current Hymer (also not purchased from Travelworld :)), has twin beds over a large garage, and we both find them extremely comfortable. We've never slept so well in a van before.
My husband likes to get up earlier than me, and I'm even able to have a lie in!
If we want a double bed, then there's the drop down bed at the front, or the single beds can be converted into one huge bed ;).
Treat yourselves to a trip to the Dusseldorf Caravan Salon. You'll see the whole range of Hymers there, and save yourself a packet by buying from a continental dealer.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Well, I can recommend single beds. In our last Hymer (not purchased from Travelworld :)), we had a double bed. We're both only 5ft 6in, but we found the bed to be very cramped, and very hot in summer. Our current Hymer (also not purchased from Travelworld :)), has twin beds over a large garage, and we both find them extremely comfortable. We've never slept so well in a van before.
My husband likes to get up earlier than me, and I'm even able to have a lie in!
If we want a double bed, then there's the drop down bed at the front, or the single beds can be converted into one huge bed ;).
Treat yourselves to a trip to the Dusseldorf Caravan Salon. You'll see the whole range of Hymers there, and save yourself a packet by buying from a continental dealer.
Thanks for the advice. Will look at Düsseldorf Caravan Salon.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IMO the only show worth visiting, can get expensive, been 3 times bought a new van each time. I've been banned from going now even though it was 'er indoors that said yes to the last van.:cry:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
IMO the only show worth visiting, can get expensive, been 3 times bought a new van each time. I've been banned from going now even though it was 'er indoors that said yes to the last van.:cry:

You're not convincing me, Lenny. My instinct tells me that you'll 'just happen' to be in Germany in August, and you'll 'just happen' to drop in at the Caravan Salon, where you'll be offered a deal that you can't refuse on a new Hymer B Class :whistle:.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You're not convincing me, Lenny. My instinct tells me that you'll 'just happen' to be in Germany in August, and you'll 'just happen' to drop in at the Caravan Salon, where you'll be offered a deal that you can't refuse on a new Hymer B Class :whistle:.
No chance grounded due to grandaughters 1st birthday in September.:cry:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I would be quite happy with single beds, it would also give us a garage or some big lockers!

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
What’s becoming clear by the reasearch in this thread is that Travelworld was right. Older people in the UK prefer single beds.

Romance dies as we age. Practical considerations like fidgeting, sweating and farting become more importing than touching and embracing. Contact is temporary or by appointment . . . then, give me my own space back.:D:D

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We went to look around the new Motorhomes at Travelworld. And nearly everyone has got single beds! And worse, a lot of them didn’t have a piece that went down the middle to convert to a double.

After 42 years of marriage the thought of sleeping on my own is quite scary, not to mention totally unromantic :D

The salesman told us, their isn’t much call for French or Transverse double beds in this country, like there are abroad. They’re not popular. Island beds are OK but still not as popular as singles.

Ashamed to be British.:D
Your lucky to be able to after 42 years, I have to go down the front and she has the back beds, I get the dropdown.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
What’s becoming clear by the reasearch in this thread is that Travelworld was right. Older people in the UK prefer single beds.

Romance dies as we age. Practical considerations like fidgeting, sweating and farting become more importing than touching and embracing. Contact is temporary or by appointment . . . then, give me my own space back.:D:D
Like everything in life dreams and reality are poles apart. Haha

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Sounds like the old joke:

What's the secret of your long and happy marriage?

Single beds [pause], mine's in Hammersmith and hers is in Fulham.

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
We have just swapped our tag axel hobby with fixed French bed for a elddis 285 with single beds. We are only in our 40s and feel as though we both sleep better. Each to their own

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We went to look around the new Motorhomes at Travelworld. And nearly everyone has got single beds! And worse, a lot of them didn’t have a piece that went down the middle to convert to a double.

After 42 years of marriage the thought of sleeping on my own is quite scary, not to mention totally unromantic :D

The salesman told us, their isn’t much call for French or Transverse double beds in this country, like there are abroad. They’re not popular. Island beds are OK but still not as popular as singles.

Ashamed to be British.:D
What concerns me is where you are going to put the hooks in to support your weight :)

Trek-Empath03.jpg

shot-of-penicillin1.jpg

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
One point that seems to be omitted is that longitudinal beds mostly shorten the living area. As I enjoy relaxing in the evening especially in inclement weather. I like to have 6 foot bench style seating in the lounging area but with the advent of longitudinal beds in the back the lounge area mostly seems to be around a small round table with the front captains seats turned around. Whilst these seats may be comfortable after being sat in them for many hours I would prefer to lounge in a "proper" lounge area. Currently the only modern vehicle layout I like is the Burstner tag axle . I dare say that someone will correct me but will still go with the transverse bed at rear and drop down double at front. If the person who needs to go to the loo in the middle of the night then sleep nearest the edge of the bed. Job done.
It would be interesting to find out the number of people who are for and against.(y):)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I like to have 6 foot bench style seating in the lounging area but with the advent of longitudinal beds in the back the lounge area mostly seems to be around a small round table with the front captains seats turned around. Whilst these seats may be comfortable after being sat in them for many hours I would prefer to lounge in a "proper" lounge area.
Me too. I like to stretch out and relax with a glass and a book or watch the poor souls out in the rain ;) without having to 'go to bed'.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Like everything in life dreams and reality are poles apart. Haha

Don't know about you but I'm living the dream :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back