Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi. Guys
I'm looking for ideas for single bed linen for our van we pick up on Friday had a look at the duvalay sleeping bag type single with built in memory foam mattress quite expensive for the two but guess if you want it looking good it's at a cost , don't want to put normal single bed duvets and linen on a single I believe these are too big for motorhome single beds as they are too wide. What do you guys have on your single Beds

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We use a double duvet folded in half. This provides some padding, a bit like a matress topper, for you to lie on and then you cover yourself up with the other half of the duvet. Works well for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We use normal bedding. It doesn’t matter if it’s slightly too big, rather that than being too tight. I fold the duvets under themselves at the wall side when making the beds so that it doesn’t droop over the edge.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thinking of hot weather abroad I would go for a duvet, you can dump it in the night if too hot.
We don’t have single beds but if we did I would stick to our type of bedding-not literally of course!
I use a fitted bottom sheet, a flat top sheet and a 7 tog rated duvet that means in hot weather you have the option of kicking off the duvet but still having a light sheet if you fell you need a covering.
In cold weather the duvet is the same one but with flanellette bottom sheet, plain top sheet and if really cold a light fleece blanket between top sheet & duvet-toasty!
I have read-on here-of the Duvalay 'breaking' up in time!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always use duck down duvets we buy decent all season ones so you get a 4.5 tog for summer & a 9 tog for winter never used them together & never used night time heating.
For sheets we buy flat sheets and I make fitted sheets from them (the boss refuses to do it:)), very easy just Google making fitted sheets.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, all seasons duvets are great! We use them too. We bought ours from John Lewis... you get 2 duvets, 10.5 and 3 tog which popper together so you can double up or separate as needed.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You need a good night’s sleep, so get decent bedding. The appearance won’t matter while you have your eyes closed.

Duvalays are expensive sleeping bags. We used sleeping bags before we changed to conventional duvets and sheets (decades ago) and found duvets so much more less constricting. If you have to make the beds up every night, I might suggest trying a Duvalay, otherwise stick to (flat*) sheets & duvet. *Standard fitted sheets don’t tend to fit. Not actually tried Duvalays, but how do you clean the sheets?

Single size duvets are not too big. Get light (Summer) ones and the best you can (silk or down). You’ll find that you’ll be plenty warm enough if you set the heating to around 12° overnight and you won’t get smothered.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
We use wool duvets, supposed to regulate your temperature, warm in winter and not so warm in summer. I now I'd sounds silly but works well for me. We have them on all our beds, sometimes need a throw over feet if really cold.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use a mattress protector then a standard single fitted sheet, along with a single 4 seasons duvet and standard single duvet cover. We are softy southerners so have our heating up higher than others in the winter. White or fawn with no pattern.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Used Duvulays for years in caravan, superb. However when we changed to single beds in Motorhome which are over garage we found we didn't need the memory foam layer as this made the bed height too high, so tried without that part. Got in an awful tangle, so have reverted to normal single bed sheets and duvets which I tuck in on wall side of van. Lovely and comfy.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Matress topper, fitted sheets and duvet. Would not use a sleeping bag they are for tents.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Duvulays are nothing like sleeping bags and I agree a sleeping bag is a nightmare, however if you want an easy, warm and cosy night on the long benches in van they are ideal as they do not slip off. the single beds in motorhome are a lot wider so a normal duvet stays in place and is a lot easier to change the cover to launder whilst away. Have passed Duvalays to daughter who finds them wonderful for grandchildren's friends sleepovers. So still being useful.:D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Single feather or down duvet, good quality ones can be bought from Ikea. Also use Ikea single duvet covers. We only have thin ones as roll up during the day and put in overhead locker. A wool blanket can give extra warmth on cold nights and doubles up as a throw during the day.
What I did as always saving the pennies, was to buy a king size duvet that was on offer, and divide into 2 singles with use of my trusty sewing machine.

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Thanks folks once again loads of advice from you all I think we will stick to the good quality duvets as most recommend just love this site for advice

Apr 27, 2012
Rushden, Northants
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
11 years
We use duvelay toppers with a fitted bottom sheet for a bunk bed (2ft 6 wide) and single duvets. Works well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back