Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
So...still worrying about my batteries....if they go when I am in say France or Spain do they go completely..will I still be able to use the fridge on gas...will the habitation door step be stuck down...presumably I’ll have no lights until I can replace them. No water through taps. I suppose go to a campsite for EHU until I can replace them.

So big question is how hard is it to findSonnenschein 78a/h Gels In France or Spain or Greece or Morocco Or maybe even Sweden depending on what countries open up after lockdown.
Are they easy to fit ? Do I just take the terminals off the Banners and put them in the Sonnenschein 78a/h Gels

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Easy enough to fit but can be difficult to get the batteries you want and much more expensive, batteries are one thing that are cheap in the UK.
Depends on the model of the fridge most these days have electronic control so if your batteries fail no fridge, same with heating.
It would be unlikely for both batteries to fail totally so you could probably get by but it would be cheaper and easier to replace them in the UK.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If the batteries fail completely, you could buy a cheap car starter battery which will run the fridge, lights, pump and step perfectly well until you get back. If the weather's good you could get by on that, but you'll have to cut back a bit on extras like TV and inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Easy enough to fit but can be difficult to get the batteries you want and much more expensive, batteries are one thing that are cheap in the UK.
Depends on the model of the fridge most these days have electronic control so if your batteries fail no fridge, same with heating.
It would be unlikely for both batteries to fail totally so you could probably get by but it would be cheaper and easier to replace them in the UK.
If the batteries fail completely, you could buy a cheap car starter battery which will run the fridge, lights, pump and step perfectly well until you get back. If the weather's good you could get by on that, but you'll have to cut back a bit on extras like TV and inverter.
Ah right...well I’m reluctant to just ditch the Banners as they look pretty new. If I went for the cheap car battery option would it just be a case of attaching negative terminal of first battery and positive Terminal of second battery As I would only be buying one car battery. Would it last a couple of months if I didn’t use a TV or inverter.

DD93D9D6-0F4A-45DA-8574-1B0911E54D4F.jpeg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ah right...well I’m reluctant to just ditch the Banners as they look pretty new. If I went for the cheap car battery option would it just be a case of attaching negative terminal of first battery and positive Terminal of second battery As I would only be buying one car battery. Would it last a couple of months if I didn’t use a TV or inverter.

View attachment 390861
You worry too much ? use them until knackered. You can always disconnect one, or disconnect both and use the engine battery temporarily, like I did ?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
That's about right. Lots of people who just tour in summer and have low demands on the battery manage perfectly well with just a single car battery and a bit of solar. The extra capacity is only required if you want all the modern electrical conveniences, which understandably many do.

Batteries usually gradually degrade and lose capacity, rather than suddenly fail, so most likely you will have plenty of warning that they are failing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Right thanks all I’ll go with that... My last van only had one leisure battery and it lasted ages. Trouble is in my new to me van I was thinking of getting a TV and using things like a blender and two ring hob off grid and e-bike battery charging with an inverter...haven’t decided yet.

I’ve got a 2004 Caro satalite dish but dont know if it works as haven’t got a TV to see if it will stil pick up a satellite....or whether it needs reprogramming.....or whether it is just too old to work. The dish whizzes round looking for a satalite but suppose I will have to buy a TV to find out. Don’t want to buy a TV only to find I need to get a whole new Satalite set up which I wouldn’t want to do. Plus the manuals all in German.

7C5E7953-31F9-4BBF-807B-7D2D75FC8A53.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back