Simple idea to prevent green algae on your Motorhome roof. (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
No idea why this has not been thought of before, but why not paint the roof green to start with? Bingo! No problems with unsightly mould growth, no need to power wash whilst balancing atop a wobbly ladder, just admire the changing seasonal shades of green. I commend the idea to the house, and Motorhome manufacturers feel free to utilise it without any copyright issues.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Alternatively, why not astro turf? It could double as a small putting green. :)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...4/?temp_hash=0651a5a24bb071016f2f498fcf0b6139
upload_2017-9-24_20-50-29.jpeg
Sorted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Spray with a chemical called Simply gone we do our patio, house roof, and van roof great results.

On the boats we use a 4:1 mix of water/patio magic sprayed on the decks, superstructure and canvaswork to prevent green algae. Takes about three to five days to see the impact but never fails to work.
It has a residual effect and lasts for a few months depending on shade/weather/temperature.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Used to spray roofs (lots of moss on asbestos slates) in Australia in the 1970s. We used to use diluted caustic soda, told never to tell customers. I wonder if that is what we have now sold under a brand name. It certainly works in the same way. If so take care with any metal it comes into contact with on your van/boat.

Dick

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When I had this problem I washed the roof and walls in neat Domestos on a wet sponge and rinsed it off. It kept it clear for about a year.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
No idea why this has not been thought of before, but why not paint the roof green to start with? Bingo! No problems with unsightly mould growth, no need to power wash whilst balancing atop a wobbly ladder, just admire the changing seasonal shades of green. I commend the idea to the house, and Motorhome manufacturers feel free to utilise it without any copyright issues.

That's why I painted my toilet bowl brown :eek: ! No flies on me.... :Eeek:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
At my local car wash another MH guy takes his own step ladders with him and gets the roof done by the staff as a service wash, Worth a try, if you don't ask.......
I don't know the Kosovan for do not spray in the fridge vents, so do my own wash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back