Simple 240v socket realignment for Sunlight Cliff (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
I have attached some photos of a small, but significant modification I've made to my 2 x 240v sockets above the 'cutlery' drawer. It bugged me that with a kettle etc. plugged in, it wasn't possible to open the drawer underneath the sockets, with either, or both sockets in use, as the kettle lead etc. was in the way. So I took the sockets out (checking no 240v power attached to the van first!) and re-oriented them as per the photos. One photo shows LH socket done, with RH socket still in original position, the other 2 shows the job done on both, so that any leads from kettles etc. are horizontal and not vertical when plugged in, and you are able to open the drawer underneath without unplugging.
A449CAD2-4A6B-4F83-A546-088C097A08EE.jpeg
59EDE9BE-95D2-470A-A948-973316D4BCE7.jpeg
F5903E72-DCA1-4819-94B9-A5410F99D14E.jpeg
It's quite easy and doesn't involve removing wires or anything, just 10 screws (4 for each socket, plus 2 cable clips behind the panel.) As the sockets are square, it's possible to fit them in any one of 4 different orientations. The spring loaded cover for each socket simply pops off, revealing 4 fixing screws on each socket. It took me less than 30 mins to do it, including a bit of 'feeling' for the cable clips behind the panel, removing the drawer (very easy) and checking with a small torch and mirror to check that nothing else was in the way or got disturbed. I replaced the spring loaded covers in their original orientation, to prevent any accidental catching of them in any other position.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Thanks for posting that. I have just rotted two sockets which were a nightmare to use. Your photos were very useful.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks for posting this. Almost a year after I saw your post, today I’ve finally got round to rotating the plugs in my Cliff 601.

Took less than 10 mins, cables had just enough slack that I didn’t need to release any of the cable clips.

Jun 11, 2021
Grantham, UK
Funster No
MH
chausson titanium 64
Exp
On and off since 1978
I have attached some photos of a small, but significant modification I've made to my 2 x 240v sockets above the 'cutlery' drawer. It bugged me that with a kettle etc. plugged in, it wasn't possible to open the drawer underneath the sockets, with either, or both sockets in use, as the kettle lead etc. was in the way. So I took the sockets out (checking no 240v power attached to the van first!) and re-oriented them as per the photos. One photo shows LH socket done, with RH socket still in original position, the other 2 shows the job done on both, so that any leads from kettles etc. are horizontal and not vertical when plugged in, and you are able to open the drawer underneath without unplugging.
View attachment 502032View attachment 502033View attachment 502034It's quite easy and doesn't involve removing wires or anything, just 10 screws (4 for each socket, plus 2 cable clips behind the panel.) As the sockets are square, it's possible to fit them in any one of 4 different orientations. The spring loaded cover for each socket simply pops off, revealing 4 fixing screws on each socket. It took me less than 30 mins to do it, including a bit of 'feeling' for the cable clips behind the panel, removing the drawer (very easy) and checking with a small torch and mirror to check that nothing else was in the way or got disturbed. I replaced the spring loaded covers in their original orientation, to prevent any accidental catching of them in any other position.
I will try that, my Chausson Titanium is just the same. It is really annoying.
Thanks WoldsSunlight

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
You mentioned this idea to me recently. I will first have to swop the continental sockets that are currently fitted, but I have bought those before and they are interchangeable.
Many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You mentioned this idea to me recently. I will first have to swop the continental sockets that are currently fitted, but I have bought those before and they are interchangeable.
Many thanks
Keep the continental sockets and change the plugs on your appliances. Easier, quicker & cheaper & better in use.

The Carthago I have on order I asked for german sockets, I find them much easy to use in the van you can put the plug in either way up. Hardly use mains in the van but what we do use has continental plugs on the appliances. Always self-imported so always had continental sockets.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Yeah but..... Our European cousins have always used double pole switching on appliances, so it doesn't matter which way in the plug goes as both the live and neutral are switched. Our rules only used to require the live switched.

Now. I'm not an electrician, and have no idea if there is any real difference, or if products coming here are the same just with a different plug. In fact that is most likely. But certainly buying your kettle or air fryer in mainland Europe guarantees yours are safe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yeah but..... Our European cousins have always used double pole switching on appliances, so it doesn't matter which way in the plug goes as both the live and neutral are switched. Our rules only used to require the live switched.

Now. I'm not an electrician, and have no idea if there is any real difference, or if products coming here are the same just with a different plug. In fact that is most likely. But certainly buying your kettle or air fryer in mainland Europe guarantees yours are safe.
Doesn't matter if the sockets are unswitched.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
The double pole switching is, or was in the appliance, not the socket. Hence no need to get the the plug in only one way, like a UK socket.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I might be light years out of date though.

Old gits rule etc :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back