SIM for Tracker (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I have a tracker and I need a new PAYG SIM for it. It uses very little data and ideally I want a cheap sim that I can put credit on and leave for a long period. However, most seem to need topping up every few months to keep the SIM live. Any suggestions?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have a tracker and I need a new PAYG SIM for it. It uses very little data and ideally I want a cheap sim that I can put credit on and leave for a long period. However, most seem to need topping up every few months to keep the SIM live. Any suggestions?
Some trackers send a text every so often, just for that reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Most paygo sims don't need topping up until you run low on credit as long as you don't take any of the bonus bundles which expire monthly.
I check my trackers monthly routinely just to keep the sims current but you actually only need to do it once in 3 or 6 months depending on the provider.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I didn't use one of my Three SIMs. They cut it off and didn't even return the credit on it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
What about coverage in Europe?... Two questions I suppose...

1) As most of the cheap trackers are 2G GSM, is there still 2G coverage in Europe?
2) Is there a SIM that offers rates reasonable for tracking in Europe?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Three's PAYG charges 1p per mb of data, 2p per text and 3p per min for calls, no requirement to keep topping it up but does need to be 'used' at least once every 6 months.
Three SIM's don't work in most trackers they need a SIM that uses the older "TEXT" format for text i.e a 2G SIM.
I use Giggaff, works all over Europe and you can set it to auto top up for as little as £3 a time.

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Seems to me that all the 'once-a-year' or 'once-in-six-months' top-up deals have just been phased out.
  • I bought a Vodoafone PAYG , that didn't expire every month, earlier this year. After about 3 weeks it stopped working (Vodafone blocked it!) and they don't offer these SIMs any longer.
  • I bought a Three PAYG, but it didn't support 2G (GPRS) which is what trackers need.
  • O2 was recommended elsewhere so last week I went to the local shop, only to be told that the long-lasting PAYG SIMs had been discontinued only a week before.
  • AFAICS both GiffGaff and LycaMobile (mentioned above) now only offer deals where you pay every month, so at least £60 p.a. for the lowest montly price.
Unless anyone knows any better?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
O2 was recommended elsewhere so last week I went to the local shop, only to be told that the long-lasting PAYG SIMs had been discontinued only a week before.

I was told last Friday that o2 will supply a lifetime sim for £10. Ill be calling in my local shop shortly.
My 82 year old sister has one and they tried to conn/insist she changed it last year - she told them to 'go away'

Deleted User
Seems to me that all the 'once-a-year' or 'once-in-six-months' top-up deals have just been phased out.
  • I bought a Vodoafone PAYG , that didn't expire every month, earlier this year. After about 3 weeks it stopped working (Vodafone blocked it!) and they don't offer these SIMs any longer.
  • I bought a Three PAYG, but it didn't support 2G (GPRS) which is what trackers need.
  • O2 was recommended elsewhere so last week I went to the local shop, only to be told that the long-lasting PAYG SIMs had been discontinued only a week before.
  • AFAICS both GiffGaff and LycaMobile (mentioned above) now only offer deals where you pay every month, so at least £60 p.a. for the lowest montly price.
O2 still offering them on-line.
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I forgot to do the yearly £5 top up on our Lycamobile sim for our tracker so it was dis-connected so bought this off ebay a few days ago and added a fiver to it via our local garage cash point.
Tracker up and running again now. (y)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LYCA-LYCAMOBILE-2-CREDIT-SIM-Card-Pay-As-You-Go-PAYG-TRIPLE-CUT-4G-2G-DATA/132569278743?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Will be interesting to see if it carries on working past the month end, if you don't top it up.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Will be interesting to see if it carries on working past the month end, if you don't top it up.

Exactally the same one as was in the before and as I said I forgot to top it up within the year.
You may be worried but I'm not as I have three over trackers all running the same Lycamobile 2G sim cards for the past four years. (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
S
Giff gaff still work in the same way, in that they are basically a PAYG SIM. You are encouraged to buy monthly "plans" but you do not have to. When ordering your SIM just hit the "no thanks I just want a free SIM" button.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back