SIM card for 2 years travelling around Europe (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It appears on balance that the 3 SIM is the best option, maybe the local SIM but from what I have seen the cost of data on those is high. So on a practical note, if I was to buy 3 Sim cards, do I need to set up an account with 3 or can just bung it in the mifi and be up and running? How do you actually use them (excuse the ignorance). I am in Australia so not sure if they would ship here? I could set up an account and delivery addess via my sisters address in London?
The official iline in the 3 shop is you should activate the cards in the UK.....I just checked!!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The official iline in the 3 shop is you should activate the cards in the UK.....I just checked!!

Indeed, you are correct, that is the official line, but personally, I just stick tit in and use it, no problems so far. :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Screenshot_20170408-142858.png
this is the one I'm looking at. 12g every month + calls/texts plus can tether other divices or £12 for 8g pm,

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The safest thing to do when talking to Three is assume they're deliberately lying to you. (y) If you haven't discovered that for yourself yet you will do eventually.

The pre loaded data SIMs that many of us having been using for a long time for travel data in Europe ARE part of Feel at Home. That's why we use them. (y)

Just do a search and you will find dozens of threads on the subject.
My 3 PAYG data sim was definitely blocked in Europe by 3 after the equivalent of 3 months last year. They sent me a text saying so as well, and it would not log on.....so I used a spare one.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
..so I used a spare one.

That's the beauty of the cheap preloads.

If there's ever a problem with one bin it and chuck in a new one.

No need to ever have any contact with the evil malignant malicious unhelpful dishonest shower that passes as the Three customer service call centre

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It appears on balance that the 3 SIM is the best option, maybe the local SIM but from what I have seen the cost of data on those is high. So on a practical note, if I was to buy 3 Sim cards, do I need to set up an account with 3 or can just bung it in the mifi and be up and running? How do you actually use them (excuse the ignorance). I am in Australia so not sure if they would ship here? I could set up an account and delivery addess via my sisters address in London?

3 payg needs nothing with them.
Buy 6 x 12g "3 " data cards from mymemory. (cheapest) These are shipped from Switzerland, so you will need a Uk address for delivery.
If they stop the card after 2 months ( very unlikely) just stick a new one in.
If you have somewhere you are staying for a while, post stopped one back to sister in UK get her to turn it on & use internet their then post back to you.

I only turn on data sims when using them & don't leave on all the time. The one I have just swopped with the wife I bought in UK last June & I used it here last week.
Phone sims are different, they tend to turn them off at 2 months & they cannot be used for roaming again until they have been used in the UK & 12 months from turn off date passes.

The upload speed of the 3 sims is 2,5 times faster than my house connection. To the extent that thise year I shall be buying 6 when in UK & trying them here 2 months at a time with a view to dumping this load of tat I have in the house.

No need to ever have any contact with the evil malignant malicious unhelpful dishonest shower that passes as the Three customer service call centre

You've dealt with the lying thieving scum as well
then ?:D2

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Lol you definitely have some ' history' with them then!!!!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Has any one here tried the EE contract data sims abroad? i can't find anything in terms and conditions that limit euro roaming to any time period, just to a maximum of 15GB a month if you have a 32GB data contract currently £29 a month.
Edit, i just discovered they have to be used once in the UK every 30 days.

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
In Portugal now,and 3 is still going,mine was activate in Spain not uk