Silverstone and a Starter Motor (1 Viewer)

Lisett

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
Well had a great weekend at the British F1 Grand Prix. Drove down in my 89 Kon Tiki at 2300hrs on thursday and got there at 0620hrs. Perfect weather on arrival. Got a good pitch, even if it was a bit lop sided. Set up the van and had a great time for the entire weekend with the icing on the cake Lewis winning after a disaster on the Saturday.

The van sat until Monday mid day and started first time no bother. We then had a further 9 and a bit hours drive home thanks to the traffic and when we went to have a top up of fuel at the last service station I turned the key and the silence was deafening. One lecture from the petrol station manager about trying to jump start it later and we decided that a few chaps on the starter motor might do it. Then the heavenly noise of a very noisy inefficient 2.5td running filled the air. We had a short sprint home from there and all was well.

Short version is a brilliant weekend but now need a starter motor. Anyone got any ideas???

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
“A few chaps on the starter motor might do it”, anybody south of Lockerbie will think you got some blokes to push it :D Anyway, I’m off to clap the dog as he’s been a good lad :)

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Bad luck on your starter problems but at least you got home with it, have to agree the race was great for my sons and I as well only to be spoiled by my own motorhome problems as already posted in my thread "Highs, Lows and Lower"...Still awaiting full prognosis on mine and suitable recompense from the break down company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lynnian

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Ace Genova
Exp
Since 2008
Don't rush into a new starter motor try removing it first and cleaning up all the wires and posts check the brushes then a good squirt of good old WD. Also clean up any other associated connections.Having said that mine failed in France on my 92 Petrol Talbot, funnily enough in the petrol station. A wak with a pair of pliers it started straight after the first chance I had I sprayed a good dose of WD and it didn't fail again for the 2 years I had it.
Ian

OP
OP
L

Lisett

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
Cheers lynnian. If it was just me and the missus I would just give it a good clean but we take the kids everywhere in it. Don't fancy taking the chances with them in it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back