Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hello, me again. I'm interested in fitting some form of insulation cover to the front and rear windows as we plan to use the RV all year round. Just contacted Silver Screens at xxx.silverscreens.co.uk who said " we don't do anything for American RV's" so I asked if they would custom make and again the same answer "no". Was surprised by the abruptness!

So does anyone have these and where did you get them from? Were they custom made?

Lynda, do you do anything alond these lines? Though I'd better ask following the waste pipe discussion :Smile:

Thanks

Mick

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Mick :roflmto:

We don't do silver screens but we do carry a front windshield cover Link Removed (you'll need to scroll down the page a bit). They are designed more for privacy than insulation though.

You could try Taylor Made, although they cover mainly Euro vans, Mr Taylor is also an RV owner and does make for some US models. Link Removed

Cheers
Linda

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Tuscancouple

I have tried a few things. Insulated inside, covers outside etc. I think a cover outside is better as it seems to stop the condensation, it does not have to be an insulated cover, but seems to work . Not to say that another on the inside would not help. We have one on the inside of our back bedroom window , you can tell it's there but you get condensation

RV wise my outside cover came from your poster above ( Linda ) works for me.

Regards

Lampie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
In preperation for our trip to Austria we have been looking at how to insulate the windows on the RV.

We bought bubble wrap at 28p per metre, a roll of foam underlay - used under laminate flooring at £10 from B & Q and aluminium tape at £1.50 from Lidl. We then made a sandwich using silver emergency blanket as the bread, bubble wrap & underlay as the filling. We had some suckers that we had bought from a fiamma dealer in France & these hold the covers on to the outside walls of the RV. As we didnt have sufficient we used some suckers from a pound shop & these have worked well.

We have to use a step ladder to attach them & we cant manage to do the worst window - the windscreen. Thats plan B - I think we will have to just use an extra curtain inside & put up with the condensation.

Our emergency blankets were courtesy of Windsor swimming centre - they had a fire alarm whilst we were there and issued the blankets to those outside in the cold in thire cozzies. We did wait until they went back in to collect the blankets off their backs:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Silver screen material:
From

Link Removed

Scroll down and click on Screens, Blinds and curtains.

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
We had the same problem - asked at shows, nobody wanted to know.

So I bought a roll of roof insulation, which is in effect bubblewrap clad with silver foil each side. At £120 for a 25m roll, this comes to less than a fiver per metre (1.5 m wide).

I then measured all of the RV windows, & cut the insulation to suit. I made a paper template for the windscreen, as the bend in this produces a tricky shape.

To attach the screens (outside or inside, we prefer outside), I bought some 2" plastic suction cups, with a drawing pin type centre which work quite well. You can reinforce where the pin goes through with silver duct tape.

We've been using this system for several months now, & it works very well. In strong winds you may want to back up the suckers with duct tape, or use extra suckers. I used the same material to make UV reflective wheel covers.

You can buy the insulation material in many places, but Screwfix are one of the cheapest here
The suckers, no. 9204 'button with thumb tack', came from here

You need quite a lot of material, but if a 25m roll and 100 suckers (both minimum quantities) seem too much, maybe 2 of you cold RV owners could go halves?

I would post a photo of our windscreen cover, billym, but it's too cold outside for photography. Maybe manana?

Bruce

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Good tip Bruce, thanks for the Screwfix link :thumb:

OP
OP
tuscancouple

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the tips, there's a market for window insulation out there :Smile: Srewfix here we come!

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back