LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What’s the advice for using either the Silver Screens or Taylormade when parked on the drive for longish periods?

I’m thinking they will keep the condensation out and help to stop rain/leaves getting in the scuttle, but will they deteriorate by long term fitting, UV rays etc.?

Brian
They both say they are not suitable for leaving on long term only intended for short term use.
If you leave them on permantly they last about 4 years, I left Tylormades on the last van they started to wear out and absobe water after 4 years not a problem just brought a new set (silver screen this time).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They are great if you are on a site, but if you're wilding no use, you might need to move quickly, we have both silverscreens and the internal remis blinds on windscreen and side cab windows, silverscreens for sites, remis for wilding
I don't have any problem using them when wilding.
I think you need to choose your wild spot more carefully, if was somewhere I thought I would need a quick getaway not a place I would be stopping.:D

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
They both say they are not suitable for leaving on long term only intended for short term use.
If you leave them on permantly they last about 4 years, I left Tylormades on the last van they started to wear out and absobe water after 4 years not a problem just brought a new set (silver screen this time).

Thanks. With the front of the house south facing (back of the MH facing south), UV may not be so much of a problem. But I don’t think I’ll risk it, to tight to be buying new screens on a regular basis.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks. With the front of the house south facing (back of the MH facing south), UV may not be so much of a problem. But I don’t think I’ll risk it, to tight to be buying new screens on a regular basis.

Brian
"I don't believe it" from your avatar you have new van that probably cost the wrong side of 50k and you are worried about spending a few quid to protected it.:)

Last edited:

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Believe it (and it was JUST the wrong side of 40k – told you I was a tight git :D).

Of course at the moment it's hypothetical, new MH promised at the dealers last Wednesday (never happened), now promised for Tuesday (skeptical).

Brian

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
As newcomers we used our van over winter and our external SilverScreens supplied cover was brilliant... No condensation, retained heat, acted as a solar shade. Very easy to put on/take off.

Ours has the pull down Middle section to allow light in when required.

At home our cab faces the house and we leave the cover on over winter - the overhang from the over cab bed helps to protect it.

Of all the accessories we have bought, this is one I consider essential. Great bit of kit.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
In the winter of 2010 even though we had heating we were still cold so ordered Taylormade blinds, what a difference. Used them ever since, don't use them abroad except on sites where we know we're safe.
The privacy screen helps keeps nosy eyes seeing me having an afternoon kip.lol.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We use Silver Screens in the winter months and wouldn't be without them. However, I do agree that it sometimes feels like you're sitting in a cave with them on. For the summer months, we take Solar Screens to keep the van cool. They are brilliant as you can still see through them whilst they are on.

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/Solar View.html

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The screens we have are by Taylor Made and have a fold down section for the front screen but not the doors, which would be nice to have so as to be able to see out during the day.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer which has fold down sections on the doors or has anyone modified their own?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The screens we have are by Taylor Made and have a fold down section for the front screen but not the doors, which would be nice to have so as to be able to see out during the day.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer which has fold down sections on the doors or has anyone modified their own?
Doesn't it sort of defeat the object of putting them on if you are going to fold them down(n)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
On the question of "full time" usage (ie when in storage) what's the pros and cons (as a discussion point)?

OK they may (do?) degrade as a result of UV however is it better than leaving them folded \ rolled up?

If you don't use them do you use something else, eg Remis blinds but the implications of this would (could) be much more costly? Close curtains but do \ would these fade? Cardboard \ material "cut-outs" as an option?

If you use nothing is there a potential issue of the internal fixtures and fittings degrading \ fading due to UV? Is there also a "noisy \ security" question with the inside being readily visible through the windows?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Doesn't it sort of defeat the object of putting them on if you are going to fold them down(n)
Nope. Gives the benefit of ready insulation against heat (during day), cold (during night) and the ability to open if just cloudy or sun on other end of motorhome.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
On the question of "full time" usage (ie when in storage) what's the pros and cons (as a discussion point)?

OK they may (do?) degrade as a result of UV however is it better than leaving them folded \ rolled up?

If you don't use them do you use something else, eg Remis blinds but the implications of this would (could) be much more costly? Close curtains but do \ would these fade? Cardboard \ material "cut-outs" as an option?

If you use nothing is there a potential issue of the internal fixtures and fittings degrading \ fading due to UV? Is there also a "noisy \ security" question with the inside being readily visible through the windows?

See, if I'd put more thought into my post, that's what I would have said (y)

Brian

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't be daft Brian. You're far to busy dreaming of the imminent arrival to concern yourself with trivialities such as this!:);)

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Don't be daft Brian. You're far to busy dreaming of the imminent arrival to concern yourself with trivialities such as this!:);)

Some truth in that. Got the long Taylormade screen cover and some of those stick on wood trims………just nowhere to put them (careful) :(

Brian

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Some truth in that. Got the long Taylormade screen cover and some of those stick on wood trims………just nowhere to put them (careful) :(

Brian
Same as us with the TaylorMade screens. They're good.(y)
Flash bu**** with the wood trim!:p

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No. As I said previously, we only use them when the weather is cold. Most of the time they are in use that means at night. During the day, when it is warmer, folding down allows more light/visibility.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
thanks but I am looking for some external screens. for a elddis 400. 1990 vintage. I did have some , but someone thought they looked better on their van. so if anybody has got some . yes please.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just to give a contrary view, we do not have them, or feel a need for them.
Our A class has internal remis blinds and we dont suffer from significant condensation. The reflective blinds keep the sun out and are easily opened.
An earlier poster suggested Silver screens are quickly removed if you need to move in a hurry, but you have to go outside to do so, and depending on why you want to move in a hurry this may not be a good idea.
I have had Silver screens on earlier motorhomes but that was because there were no blinds and they were principally for privacy.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't believe that the internal remis blinds come anywhere near the efficiency of external silverscreens or taylormade blinds in cold weather. For privacy they are great. Heat protection .. probably not so good but better than nothing. I think from a wild camping point of view .. if you thought you may have to move quick ..then remis is the way forward. Otherwise the cheaper and probably more effective option are the two makes above .. (and polar I think the name of the third company is..)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For insulating your cab you simply cannot beat a set of long line external insulated (ie padded) screens, both for keeping the heat in and keeping it out! We have Remis concertina cab blinds and whilst they are fairly quick and easy to deploy (one you've removed all the crap from the windscreen/dash!) they do not block the light out totally as it filters in through the material itself and also round the edges they also don't block a massive amount of heat from the sun and certainly don't keep the cold out! We've got round this partly by having a set of internal screens which fit between the Remis and the screen/door glass, giving more insulation and 'darkness', but you still get condensation so to get rid of this we've got a Karcher window vacuum which works a treat (we use it at home too!).

If we were going somewhere where we expect it to be cold we'd take the external screens, but for spring/summer/autumn where the weather is better we take the internal screens. We also have a large 'thin' windscreen sun shield that goes on the outside and is held in place with a couple of elastic straps on the mirrors and we can pop this on quickly to keep the sun out for the dogs rather than draw the Remis which would still let quite a bit of heat in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What’s the advice for using either the Silver Screens or Taylormade when parked on the drive for longish periods?

I’m thinking they will keep the condensation out and help to stop rain/leaves getting in the scuttle, but will they deteriorate by long term fitting, UV rays etc.?

Brian
We have an old set of Taylormade screens (from a Transit we had) which we use on our Fiat over winter - they fit well enough to give it protection from the weather as it faces North with fields opposite so gets everything thrown at it! If it looks like we're gong to get a lot of really bad weather (lots of snow etc) we also have a tarp which we can put over the bonnet/scuttle etc for more protection. We've used the same set for about 4 winters now and they are still going strong!

You could just get a set of cheaper uninsulated external ones to use over winter to give your van some protection from the weather 'hitting' it.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
You could just get a set of cheaper uninsulated external ones to use over winter to give your van some protection from the weather 'hitting' it.

Yes, that’s the way I’m thinking at the moment. No rush now and I want something that isn’t going to rub against the paintwork, I’ll have a good look over the summer.

Brian

Malky Gibbs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2014
dundee
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 695
Exp
Brand new, converting from caravaning.
We were away for first weekend with new machine and used our supplied internal screens. Crap to say the least, did not keep the light out and had to buy a chamois to soak up condensation. It was cold last weekend in Pitlochry.

Having read loads about benefits of externals I will be ordering mine this week.

For sale - set of internal silver screens to fit 2015 ducato!!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Have an almost new set of Silver Screens for a X250 Ducato for sale if anyone is interested. They are the ones with the fold down central panel.
No good for my new A Class. Cost £169, yours for half that at £85.

Richard.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We've been fulltiming since September 2014, first in UK & in France since February 2015.

With Silver Screens we get no condensation whatsoever, plus the van's a darn site warmer-it's like having double-glazing round the big front-screen & side-windows on our A-Class. We've just used the internal curtains & blinds since mid-April because it's been warm enough here.

I wouldn't be without 'em.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back