LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
As you all know we are new to this M.H. malarkey and looking to swap 5 star, easy, let others do the work life, to 'complete unknown territory'.
So..... following the helpful folks of this forum we have been looking to spend Christmas at Sandy Balls site even tho' (can't begin why someone would have a name like this !!).

Silly question is...... they offer 10 amp water, water and tv 'hook up'.
We have only been exposed to the electric hook- up.
1. what is the value of the 10 amp
2. how does the water hook - up work, i.e. do we need a special connection
3. what's the tv hook up all about

On the point of the tv. We are looking to install a tv with dvd and cd. Marquis provide this, at a cost, obviously, but would it be worth looking ,thinking of fitting it as we aren't the sort that are able to do that.

Again, guys looking for your advice............ No sniggering at the daft question because as warned there will be may more to come !!!!!!!!!!!!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hehehe daft question :rofl:

On a lighter note, I've stopped a number of times at Sandy Balls. It's name comes from geographical features you can see on an OS map of the area :)

I've also been on what your describing as a "Fully Serviced" pitch. That means you'll have the 10amp EHU, a tap with the standard thread for a hose connector, your own grey waste drain and the said TV hook up :)

The 10amp EHU means that you can draw a greater currant whilst using things such as an electric heater, kettle, coffee pot, microwave etc. Some sites only offer 4-6amps and often have the relays trip if too much currant is drawn :)

Never used the TV socket as I don't need it :)

Hope it helps and I'm sure you'll have a fab time too, just keep us all posted on your adventures and trips, oh and any mishaps too, as we like a giggle at each other's expense, but only in a Funster nice way you understand:cheers::drink::moon2:

"Sandy Balls first appeared on maps and other documents in the 15th Century as Sandyballas, which is the description given to the dome-shaped sand and gravel outcrops on the estate’s western boundary. These formations still exist today – Good Friday Hill is a great spot to sit and watch the sun set and just to the north the summit of Giant’s Grave with its fantastic views is a satisfying way end a walk in the forest.

Over the years, the management team has toyed with renaming the Centre to something more reflective of a five-star holiday destination but it’s so memorable and well-known that it doesn’t take long to decide it should stay.

In 2010, a TV advert to promote the Centre travelled around the world achieving global recognition when it appeared on Have I Got News For You, prime time American TV and Radio One’s Early Morning Show. It also notched up a staggering two million hits across the web, turning the advert into a video viral."

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No such thing as a silly question....if you knew the answer you wouldnt be askig......

10amps will give you 2300watts in total....your electric kettle may be 2000watts so the need to be careful what you plug in is required.
Too many items and the breaker will trip.
All your appliaces will have a label attached with the wattage.

Water hookup will probably be a tap on your pitch......only of any real use if you have a city water connection point...which you wont have.
But it saves you dragging a water carrier from a remote tap to your van when water topup is needed.

Tv hookup......usually you need a tv lead to plug into the post along with your electrc hookup lead.
It negates the need for an aerial on your van and may give a better sigal if the site is in a poor reception area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks PP - saved me writing (y) Edit - thanks also PJ (y)

Was just going to go through it. TV point is only really any good if the aerial is rubbish or if the terrestrial signal is rubbish (one reason why we got a dome)

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
On the point of hosepipes and water, make sure you get a hosepipe that's specified for drinking water such as this one :)

Got mine from fleabay and rolls and stores flat too :)
image.jpg

Plus the standard tap to hose connector :)

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you ever go to Cofton they have a TV aerial points on the lower lying pitches, such as by the fishing lakes. Trouble is they don't tell you at Reception! It was like Chinese whispers, one person asking the van next to them and passing it on! My aerial lead just reached the connection so longer lead you have, the better.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You will be sick of the sight of Sandy Balls by the time you leave.

I hired a luxury lodge there one Christmas and very nice it was but it's a wannabe Centreparcs with about 1/100th of the facilities.

The food outlets are extremely poor as well in my opinion.

Unless things have changed fundamentally in the last 4 years you should avoid their " posh" restaurant like the plague.

Sorry

Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
The only "Daft" question is the one you don't ask. :whistle2:

Hymie.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My daughter and family in their caravan, plus friends in either a caravan or borrowed m.home, can't remember, were all at Sandy Balls for a long weekend in the summer. She said it was fine---kids loved the pool. All these campsite food outlets seem, to me anyway, to be expensive and not great food. That's another good reason to have a m.home--own food, own kitchen.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I love sandy balls, Lorraine's not as keen though :)

If you don't need the services of the super pitch check the price of a normal one it might have 10 amp also and to me the others are irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love sandy balls, Lorraine's not as keen though :)

If you don't need the services of the super pitch check the price of a normal one it might have 10 amp also and to me the others are irrelevant.

Have you tried it in Winter Gerry?

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Well you learn something new every day. I always assumed it was an IoW campsite owned by someone called Sandy Ball, who (like many) didn't know about possessive apostrophes.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as its just 10 miles from home we often used to hold rallies there out of season. without all the extra vending outlets and less pressure, the main restaurant is not actually too bad. some locals go regularly for Sunday lunch

because its on a sandy heathland area, access is good. tv reception is pretty variable so the communal aerial is a good idea. 10amp hookup is average or below in this country. easy to overload and drop the trip by leaving the water heater and space heater on then switching on a kettle too

tv/dvd combos are much cheaper away from the dealers and are a very simple diy fit, but get a 12v/240v one. instructions with the tv for fitting to a standard mount. its only a few screws and plug in the leads

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No need to get all religious with us:)

Chris, if only you could understand the mental anguish that every misplaced or missing possessive apostrophe causes to those of us who've spent our working lives correcting others' written mistakes on a daily basis. There are thousands of us out there who walk past market traders' stalls every day screaming inside "A marker pen! A marker pen! My kingdom for a marker pen!"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Thank you everyone. I will endeavour to keep you all updated, (not sure about my technical capabilities but I will try)

Feliz Navidad

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back