Silliest thing you’ve done in/with your MH? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Lorna and Chris

Lorna and Chris

Free Member
Mar 17, 2019
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
Today it’s been hot here in Bavaria, and I mean full sun and inside van temperature showed 41 °C parked on exposed carpark at Lake Königssee.
We took a boat ride to St Bartholomew further down the lake, a packed lunch and a walk. It was lovely if a bit warm!
Why did it suddenly pop into my head “I don’t remember switching fridge on to gas”, no, I must have done because it would have been beeping, wouldn’t it?

So we get back 4 hours later, and my sub-conscious had not tricked me, fridge still on battery setting.
Thank goodness we ate up all the ice-cream last night (y) :) The beer is still cold even if not chilled !

It’s usually the other way round, we’ve been driving along for ages and then I remember fridge is still on gas.

I’ve done this many times too!!! :LOL:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
After 30 around years of motorhoming there aren’t many daft things for me left to do, I’d be here all day telling you about them, but one that springs to mind ( which I peviously posted on here) is when I took a lovely country lane in rural Ireland and started to worry when a very thin strip of grass appeared running down the middle of the road, this got bigger and bigger until after about an hour it was just grass, with no turning places I had to keep going, it took about four hours to do 15 miles, eventually arriving at a tarmac road at the side of a lock, it was then that I noticed the sign pointing to whence I had just come saying
“County Clare Footpath”
I’m a bit more careful now, but not much! ;)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I've posted this before, but I still feel flushed with embarrassment when I think about it, apologies to anyone who's read it before :giggler:
Having just bought our first motorhome in June this year (after two years of doing our homework on here) we set off on our first trip, ten nights touring Gloucestershire, Somerset and Dorset. We had booked 3 nights at The Old Oaks near Glastonbury. On our last evening we decided that having consulted MMM's booklet, places to park your motorhome, we decided to visit nearby Wells as there was a large market on the next day. We decided that the Union Street car park would be perfect and we would be there early as I was slightly nervous about parking our 'van in a car park for the first time :whistle:

There was a handful of cars there when we arrived. We drove around to see if there was a space with an overhang where I could park our 5.99m 'van. There wasn't so I parked within a space with my tail overhanging the space behind. I went to the machine and bought two tickets and displayed both tickets ....... only to have one disappear down behind the dash never to be seen again :swear2: so off I went and bought a third ticket :mad::mad::mad: which I placed on the dash with a small clip.

While walking away I saw a 'parking attendant' leaning over the windscreen of a car. I approached him from behind and said to him, ' Excuse me I've parked my 'van over there using two spaces but I have bought two tickets. Can I park here? Is that OK?' All the time I was speaking to him he was pointing frantically to his hat. On his hat it said the words SALVATION ARMY o_O:oops::oops::oops: Never been so embarrassed:whistle: will never forget it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Absolutely PMSL at some of these.. :D :D :D God I hope I never do any!!. The worst I've done so far is wonder where the whistling was coming from only to realise I'd left the roof window open having left site.
But only had it just over a year so I guess there's still PLENTY of time to right royally screw something up :D

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Oh I suppose you could count the driveway at home, first day of owning it... Backing it into the corner of the drive to turn around.. carefully looking in the mirrors as I go gently backwards.. So I wonder how long this thi.... *crunch*.... Oh about that long then.. (luckily only the steel bumper on the raised flower bed border.)

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Earlier this year we packed up the van looking forward to a great weekend at Malvern show 3 hour drive there it seemed a bit quiet.
pulled on showground and then it hit me it was the wrong week got my dates mixed up we where a week early.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I shouted a guy who was about ( I thought ) to drive off still attached to the EHU post. He was only adjusting the ramps though. Later that day I saw him driving off down the site trailing half a EHU cable.

As for doing daft things. We parked our NEW Laika next to some other MHs. I noticed an old lamppost that had a couple of metal loops to protect what was left of the short stubby bit. When we departed I forgot and caught the front wing. Horrible noise but what a stupid thing to leave in a car park. By the look of the two hoops I was not the only person that had found them.

Friends filled the water tank with 75lts of diesel.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
That’s it , no more motor homing. How will i ever relax in the knowledge I have checked everything, .....nothing can wrong!

First reverse in friends field, tail over tall grass, no problem. Drive forward , crunch. Waste water pipe cracked. On farm machinery hiding in the grass.
Pipe must have bent up , over machinery, but not been able to bend the other way.
Still waterproof tape holding , three years later, must do a better fix!

And

Have you done all checks”
“Yep”
“You’re sure”?
“Yep”
“Sure”?
YEP
“Where ‘s draft coming from?”

“Must be through air vents” , (60mph on m62).

“Nope....is that panoramic roof open?”

Errrrrrrrr “yep”!!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
During this last trip away recently, we stopped to fill with LPG and I opened the locker as normal, filled, closed, paid and drove off. (y) 20 miles or so later, we spotted a "Decathelon" and thought shall we sharn't we stop to get a new chair. No lets keep going, no, lets stop. OK we stop.:rolleyes: Getting out and about to alarm the MH, "Where's me hab keys" ??? :oops:Searching and no where. Then it dawned on me....On the LPG pump!!! I wouldn't have bothered normally, but it has the alarm fob - and you know how much the bitzmeister charges for a spare of those. Well worth the drive back. Good job we decided on stopping. ;)

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
We were travelling through Austria on our way to Italy and decided to stop in a large car pack for lunch, having completed same put everything away and drove out of car park. As I accelerated away there was a huge bang, looked round to find the fridge door laying on the floor.
Had to stop in a but stop as no where else to park, picked up all the bottles etc that were in the door and noticed the bottom hinge had split open so was never going to stay on.
Gorilla tape sprang to mind which held for the rest of the holiday through Europe.

So remember "lock the fridge door" or it'll cost you £165 for a new one.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Have posted this before I know but driving off site with the dog tied to the tow bar was the daftest thing..... ?
Please tell me that you have a greyhound?!! :whistle2:

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
The rumours of a sheep in the motorhome are completely false and totally groundless. And it was only once.
I believe ewe :whistle2:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Please tell me that you have a greyhound?!! :whistle2:
No, he was one of these but he could run like a greyhound :)
1568101250574.png

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Well, after telling the wife to mind the overhang, and be careful whilst turning in car parks etc.
You guessed it, today I took a wrong turn and went down side road we had to reverse into council depot between 2 steel gate posts to turn around. I was very careful to reverse into yard, but turning back out into the road was a bit tight, I managed to hit the gate post and we got tangled in the diamond mesh fencing. We couldn't get free to had to pull forwards and we pulled rear corner/ light cluster off with small bit of side skirt by rear door/ step.
Luckily I managed to put corner and light cluster back on and tape up the skirting.

To say I am pissed off at my stupidity is an understatement.
20190910_151313.jpg

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not a year passes and no matter how careful I am I always seem to clip the overhang at the back at least once. Have accepted it as part of life ??

Many years ago in a previous vehicle, drove away with our slide out still extended - only went a few yards before I spotted I had no visibility in my wing mirror - what a plonker!!

Since then I have always had a 'pre flight checklist' which I religiously go through before we leave anywhere.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Ok, I confess, I did a similar thing to busybuilder.
We arrived at a friends farm and had to wait while he moved a small container with his teleshifter, I thought he'd need a bit more room to manoeuvre so I let the MH roll back just a bit.....crunch.....yep, I hit the side of a bloody barn.
I was too busy watching what my mate was doing and forgot about the slight bend in the track or to use my mirrors....
Language turned very blue and was repeated several times.... :swear2: :swear2:
Luckily the damage was easily repaired but still cost £200.
Lesson learned.

So now I know know for sure....I CAN hit the side of a barn....
:clap2:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Round shower with the door clipped open and the shower head pointing straight out the door... :frowny:
We have a similar shower but always close the doors and fasten them with a loop of shockcord around the handles. We have found the clips that are supposed to lock them open not up to a bumpy road. It still enabled us to arrive with no water and a full waste tank as Swmbo had left the mixer tap on and the thumb valve on the shower head had turned on as the shower head had fallen from its bracket. Its quite heavy so now we leave it on the floor of the shower and turn it off at the mixer. We rarely remember to turn the water pump off though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back