Sikaflex (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just a little heads up on anyone worrying about just using Sikaflex to stick their solar panels on the motorhome roof, I've just had a wonderful afternoon trying to remove four 4in alloy brackets off the roof of my Hymer, I managed to get two off but had to give up on the other two and just cut the sticky up bit off flush.

The two I managed to get off had a small gap underneath so I was able to push a very thin blade under bit by bit enough to loosen them after about ten minutes, but the others had no gap and no amount of cutting, pulling or pushing was going to loosen them, I did try thin wire but to no avail.

I have no idea what adhesive was used but it was white and rubbery so assume it was a Sikaflex type, now these brackets were screwed as well but even without them the panel would never have come off EVER.

Now I note the recommended way to stick brackets is to have a couple of mm of adhesive between bracket and roof, now I suspect the reason for that has something to do with adhesion, but it is a bloody good idea if only cos if you ever want to get them off it will be virtualy impossible without the gap(y)

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Now I note the recommended way to stick brackets is to have a couple of mm of adhesive between bracket and roof, now I suspect the reason for that has something to do with adhesion,.....
The primary reason for that is to allow for differential expansion and contraction of the 2 different materials. With long bits glued on, that can be quite a bit.
The easiest way to do this is to use small patches (say 10mm x 10mm) of double sided foam tape the correct thickness. These make sure the glue thickness is correct and they also hold the part in place until it sets.

The 4WD motorhome in my avatar is held together entirely with Sikaflex.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The best way to remove something stuck on with sikaflex is to use a cheese cutter wire type of tool
An old guitar string with a couple of wooden handles works very well

just beat me to it.. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A blowtorch will heat the aluminium without causing any damage to the roof (Sikaflex is also a good insulator). Heat the bracket whilst pulling up at one end. It will lift off easily. Remove Sikaflex from the roof by 'planing' it carefully with a very sharp 1"+ wood chisel. I did exactly the same job a few months ago when I had to re-position one panel to make room for another.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back