Sikaflex/Silicon sealer removal (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
always has me beat.

I need to remove quite a lot of sikaflex AND silicon sealer from a dimpled (same finish as medium sandtex masonary paint) fibreglass finish.....could even be paint.

The sika/silicon is quite thick...maybe 4mm to 5mm in places

The dimpled finish CANNOT be damaged.

With care i may be able to cut back the depth to a thin skin but then need to remove that skin.
Any usable suggestions welcome.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
always has me beat.

I need to remove quite a lot of sikaflex AND silicon sealer from a dimpled (same finish as medium sandtex masonary paint) fibreglass finish.....could even be paint.

The sika/silicon is quite thick...maybe 4mm to 5mm in places

The dimpled finish CANNOT be damaged.

With care i may be able to cut back the depth to a thin skin but then need to remove that skin.
Any usable suggestions welcome.

hot air gun, when you get to the 'skin' use a ordinary pencil rubber eraser ( yea like the ones you used at school):Smile:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi Pappajohn.

Not tried the stuff myself, but would be very interested to hear from anyone who has? There is a product called silicon eater or similar.

I googled it and there are a number of suppliers. Also found this link to Utube which might help.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ7x6Lcml1Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ7x6Lcml1Y[/ame]

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Pappajohn.

Not tried the stuff myself, but would be very interested to hear from anyone who has? There is a product called silicon eater or similar.

I googled it and there are a number of suppliers. Also found this link to Utube which might help.
silicon sealant is massively different to sikaflex, which is polyurethane based. nothing will disolve it without damaging the surface its bonded to. it needs to be manually removed by cutting off the majority then peeling the remaining skin where possible using a hot air gun with care
thats why bonding with sikaflex is to be considered a permanent fix

silicone selant lets go easily and can be dissolved with solvents

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed worked quite well for me to remove Slikaflex. It isn't as effective as it is on silicon but if you use a lot and leave it for 3 or 4 hours is softens the Silka enough so you can peel it off. I managed to get rid of quite a bit without damaging the surface

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Hi PJ,

I build and re-build a lot of aquariums which often involves cutting out old silicone which is mostly structural grade and very similar to Sika in consistency. For this I use an old fashioned razor blade to cut out the bulk and some times a cheese wire. OK In my case it's hard to scratch the glass so your surface will be more delicate but to remove the bulk this may help.

Afterwards I just use some C2HC13 to clean it back to a bear surface

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back