LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
As a new owner of a pre loved motorhome, one or two of the sealant joints are cracking, I’ve read that sikaflex is the stuff to use??? but is there a reason it’s preferred to silicon as I would have thought the silicon would move better with the panels it’s sealing??

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Silicon dries out eventually. Ideally you need to use a non setting mastic.
Sikaflex is an excellent adhesive & seals things up but, would need to be applied to an open seam before closing it up.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Don't use silicon sealer it is not weather proof definitely use Sikaflex

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
"Silicon" the death knell of Motorhomes and Caravans:Eeek:

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Don't use silicon sealer it is not weather proof definitely use Sikaflex

Sorry but I just don't get it, I put some windows in our old house back in 2001 and put silicon round em, it's still there keeping the weather out. It certainly hasn't cracked like the stuff around the various panels on my nearly 3 year old motorhome. It's not cos it's a brit van either (@Lenny HB) the joints around most used vans around the dealers I've been to have gone the same!!

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Sikaflex is what the quality manufacturers use and for good reason. There are lots of different types as Sikaflex is just the brand, you will need to check the data sheets to work out which one is best for you, this might be a good start Amazon product ASIN B0036KGDH0
I will get some and clean all the old crap out the joints and re do them in Sikaflex, just didn't know why it was better than silicon that's all(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Another one to consider is Dicor, a good self levelling sealant for roof joints that stays supple.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry but I just don't get it, I put some windows in our old house back in 2001 and put silicon round em, it's still there keeping the weather out. It certainly hasn't cracked like the stuff around the various panels on my nearly 3 year old motorhome. It's not cos it's a brit van either (@Lenny HB) the joints around most used vans around the dealers I've been to have gone the same!!

Your home does not vibrate and flex like a MH.

Boats flex and vibrate and all builders/repairers use Sikaflex, or equivalent - they cannot all be wrong.

Geoff

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Westy in answer to your window bit to start 9 out of 10 use normal Silicon that sticks to brickwork but does not stick to plastic good ....try taking a window out and the Silicon will simply pull off the plastic window like a elastic band unless they have used a low modulas Silicon,witch incedently they should use but companies never seem to :) There are differences in Silicons;)
Now your van problem ....use PurFlex 40 from Toolstation £4.20 ISH Sticks and seals almost anything (y) ....I would not use Silicon on anything in or on any van ...take that from years of experience :D

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Your home does not vibrate and flex like a MH.

Boats flex and vibrate and all builders/repairers use Sikaflex, or equivalent - they cannot all be wrong.

Geoff

One of the reasons for using silicone on buildings is different materials expand differently and silicone accommodates this movement. Silicone sealants are used on boats though perhaps not the ones used on buildings. There are many many different typed of Sikaflex all designed for specific applications and every one has at least one alternative from at least one different manufacturer. The answer is to decide what your need then is the research suitable materials and Sikflex may not be the most cost effective solution. Just grabbing a random tube of Sikaflex has a high probability pf being wrong

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back