Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
Hi All

Thanks for all your advice on buying an awning. I now need to fit a C Rail to my van and Brownhills upped the price to £200 to bond it.

I've had advice from Magnum motorhomes to say I could do it myself with their parts. They have the rail and Sikaflex 512.

I know a cpl of people on here that have done this so wondering if i need to sand the area down or just bond it straight to the van. Oh i have an Autotrail Imala if that helps. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I cleaned the area with methylated spirits that I had in the garage, put rail up to the van and marked where it was going to fit, sikafexed the rail and fitted it to where I had marked the van. I then dipped my finger in turps and smoothed the edges out, and the job looked better than professional.

John.

PS I got someone to help me put the rail up to the van roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Whittys

The Whittys

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
Oh cool so no need to sand. Somebody said if i didn't sand it down it would just pull the lacquer and paint off.

Thank

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont know for sure but i would think its coloured GRP/ABS construction, not paint and lacquer.
As said, clean off ALL traces of wax before glueing.

OP
OP
The Whittys

The Whittys

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
Hi all

Been looking at the correct way to use Sika and it says use a 2mm bead. Investigating further some people say that the bead you apply is thicker so when you press the rail on you get a constant 2mm thickness on all the rail.

Bit confusing cos if i put a 2mm bead and press flat not a lot will be left to bond. Any ideas?

Cheers

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
2mm constant thickness across entire width. I used a piece of tile spacer under brackets when I fitted our solar panel to give even thickness.

OP
OP
The Whittys

The Whittys

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 715
Exp
2mm constant thickness across entire width. I used a piece of tile spacer under brackets when I fitted our solar panel to give even thickness.

Ok so the rail will sit proud by 2mm?

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back