Sign of the times... (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
My son just sold his 1993 MH - two people came to view, both worked for NHS and both looking to live in it full-time. First one was a doctor, son talked him out of it because he didn't really have any idea of what he was taking on. Second one was an ambulance driver who was upgrading from living in a panel van with a mattress in the back. Very humbling...

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
That's sad !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Odd that they canā€™t access NHS worker accommodation?
The only workers Iā€™ve known to struggle were chronically bad at managing their finances (dare I say irresponsible).
Even porters on Ā£9ph manage to get by.
There must be more to this??

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know several NHS employees in a precarious housing situation. One springs to mind that his wife kicked him out and it took months of sofa surfing to find somewhere cheap enough and near the hospital. In his 50s and back in a bedsit, but it came close to sleeping in his car more than once

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
First one was a junior doctor, didn't meet him but I know they don't earn all that much if they are working (and so living) in London. Second one was working in Putney area, not cheap to rent a place especially for one person.

My son who is now a psychiatrist was a porter for a few months before he started studying medicine and he really struggled renting a room and financing himself. He worked at the cinema p/t as well to get by. That was 10 years ago now.

Don't know the ins and outs of it all, but just struck me that first two people, both NHS, both needing to f/t seemed quite sad.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes it can be a struggle in early professional life, maybe more so with student debts.

Even after several years of work and then a BA Co-Pilot on just under Ā£5k p.a. I struggled to get a mortgage for a run-down property near enough to Heathrow.

I am now in a much better position and am renting out my 4-bed, 2 bath house, just west of Putney to two people whose combined income is Ā£175K+.

Obviously this is bigger than their needs, in some people's minds.

However, it only produces 3% net, so if I let it for less I could get more in some banks.

This is not a buy-to-let property, as it was my home, and maybe again if circumstances change.

I do not know what the answer is to this proprty conundrum.

Geoff

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
What about commuting costs and time needed. ? Coz often the jobs are not where the cheaper property is :)
You cut your cloth to suit or whatever the saying is.

Pick somewhere with jobs and cheaper housing. You don't have to work in a big city.

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
If you can't afford to live in an expensive area, move to a cheaper area of the country. Simple economics.
Oh. Yes, of course, it's that simple. I really have trouble relating to some of these utterly thoughtless posts. I'm not sure if the poster is a wind up merchant or is really that unaware.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oh. Yes, of course, it's that simple. I really have trouble relating to some of these utterly thoughtless posts. I'm not sure if the poster is a wind up merchant or is really that unaware.
OK, answer me this question.....

What do you do if you can't afford to live in an expensive area ?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you can't afford to live in an expensive area, move to a cheaper area of the country. Simple economics.
I know a couple who left the local area and transferred to Manchester. They sold their modest two bed terrace down here and moved into a lovely 4 bed detached up there.
Pay grades are the same throughout NHS and jobs always available if you have the experience.
They were quids in as werenā€™t being crippled by Southern housing costs...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You didn't state in the op whether or not they had chose to do this ?

I mean there's loads of people living full time in motorhomes and vans these days through choice.

Could it be that perhaps they see it as a cheaper way to live at the minute while they work and get some savings behind them?

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
Odd that they canā€™t access NHS worker accommodation?
The only workers Iā€™ve known to struggle were chronically bad at managing their finances (dare I say irresponsible).
Even porters on Ā£9ph manage to get by.
There must be more to this??
Would love to know just what NHS worker accommodation is.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My world is simple economics. If you can't afford a situation then change the situation.

upload_2018-8-17_21-59-10.jpeg

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
My sister lived in nhs accommodation back in the late 80's while training.
Usually shared appartments
Yes still same now.
Good for staff as right next to work, no travelling, good for networking, all inclusive fair rent.(Ā£30/night Ā£500/month or thereabouts).
Good for nhs trust as have staff on hand for emergencies and difficult winter weather. Residential staff more willing to do overtime and more likely to ā€˜muck inā€™ when required...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You cut your cloth to suit or whatever the saying is.

Pick somewhere with jobs and cheaper housing. You don't have to work in a big city.
Just aswell that some do though isn't it.
Hate to imagine how even more understaffed the nhs would be in big cities.

It's also worth mentioning that despite many people's opinions often nhs staff struggle financially simply because it isn't all about money for them they actually put in 110% because they care about the people they work with.

My sister for example could earn far more privately or even if she changed location.

It's one of the hardest emotionally draining jobs out there that society often takes for granted and they are seriously undervalued.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that for junior doctors they have normally to work where the specialities are that they are involved in, or where they are placed for further training etc, so often don't have much choice as to where they work and therefore where they have to have homes as they usually have to be able to get to their workplace within a certain timescale.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back