Sights on route to Dordogne? (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Travelling to Dordogne later this year and trying to find interesting sights or pretty villages/towns on the way down. Starting from west of Paris rather than travelling straight down the centre, I have read that along the road between Blois and Tours has some chateaux. Can anyone recommend this detour? not necessarily to visit them but just to be able to see them from the road. I am also looking at the website for prettiest villages of France.

Many thanks Cheryl

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Dordogne

Hi Cheryl,

The route you are taking is beautiful…So many chateaux to see and you would do very well to meander slowly through that area. Make your you see Chamborrd.

I have done what you are contemplating and it is fabulous.

A great site on the banks of the Loire is Link Removed and pitches 3, 4 or 5 are top notch.

After that its an easy drive to a super site in the Vendee Campsite de la Venise Verte **** www.camping-laveniseverte.fr A very nice spot.

When you get to the Dordogne try Camping de la Bastide in Sainte Foy la Grande. You can see loads of stuff on my blog because I have just come from there and there is a lot of stuff. Http://www.frankhanna.com/blog/ hope you enjoy it.

Earlier in the blog there is stuff on the route we took this time including Mont St Michel.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Frank

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Cheryl,
Amboise nice Chateau aire and campsite just across (island in the middle) the Loire, Also Brantome well worth a visit nice aire and town with river cruise or canoe the river.
Terry:sin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Montreuil-Bellay has a lovely Aire right next to the River. Nice restaurant next to it. I always start my French trips here.

If you don't mind a bit of Zig Zagging then Il-de-re is great for a couple of days.

I frequently stop in Blaye on the way down. You can park on the sea front right next to the castle.

I have loads of favourite places on the way down but those are the ones that stand out for me.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
From Tours you can head down to the Limousin, and if you google Route Richard Coeur de Lion you will find a fascinating tour that will occupy you for a couple of days. If you like chateaux you'll find plenty around here, and we have some of the most beautiful villages - you may already have identified them in your researches. Stopover with us at Parc Verger by all means - there is always a special welcome (and a discount) for Funsters - and our book of places of interest could keep you occupied for weeks!!!::bigsmile:
Bob
www.parcverger.com

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi

Can I second the site at Montsoreau
"A great site on the banks of the Loire is Link Removed and pitches 3, 4 or 5 are top notch."

Watch out for the midgies in September!, decent Chateau 10 minute walk from the site, several bars and restaurants, within minutes walk. There is a bus that goes from the village into Saumur that stops outside the site, the tourist information office opposite the site can give details.

There is an aire between Montsoreau and Saumur that used to be a commercial site, but it was packed last time we were there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back