Side Mirror protectors (1 Viewer)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I know this matter has been discussed before and in fact I got the idea from the forum, I ordered some black mirror protectors from a company called Mirror Armour, they had a UK address but the items were shipped from Canada and I had tracking to show that, I have attached some pics of them fitted but wondered if anyone knew the difference between these and a company called mirror guard that was mentioned in another thread, I actually didn't know two companied made the identical product but more than happy with mine (y) I also posted a picture of what one looks like if it gets walloped, I think the original mirrors may be a couple of hundred pounds to replace plus fitting, I'm sure someone on here must have had one replaced and can tell us!

Attachments

• Image 01-11-2019 at 13.07.jpg
    Image 01-11-2019 at 13.07.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 183
  • fullsizeoutput_c10f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c10f.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 184
  • fullsizeoutput_c10c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c10c.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 179
  • fullsizeoutput_c102.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c102.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 175

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
They look very similar too \ exactly the same as our Mirror Guards.
Guess any difference will be in the case material and internal padding but what this is ?????

Reactions: 596

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
+1 for Mirror Guards I do believe they saved my mirror when I enthusiastically entered a French toll.....I heard the whack as the mirror hit a pole and ....no damage

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Interesting looking at their website. They seem to have a very poor grasp of the English language which suggests to me an importer of foreign goods who despite the appearance they project, are actually domiciled elsewhere.

Seems they want to draw attention to their "hole" (.sp) production process, as they mention it several times :ROFLMAO:

So, how many holes did your mirror protectors come with, or are they guaranteed to appear in due course? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Interesting looking at their website. They seem to have a very poor grasp of the English language which suggests to me an importer of foreign goods who despite the appearance they project, are actually domiciled elsewhere.

Seems they want to draw attention to their "hole" (.sp) production process, as they mention it several times :ROFLMAO:

So, how many holes did your mirror protectors come with, or are they guaranteed to appear in due course? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Given where they come from wonder if they could be French Canadian?:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Given where they come from wonder if they could be French Canadian?:unsure:
Apparently Active Design Solutions Ltd. with a registered address in Bristol, UK. Two active company officers, who give their occupations as designer and engineer.

Looks like they could do with a better website designer though, as to be honest poorly constructed sites like that put me off, although thanks in this case to 596 we at least now know it's not a scam and you should actually get what you pay for!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Apparently Active Design Solutions Ltd. with a registered address in Bristol, UK. Two active company officers, who give their occupations as designer and engineer.

Looks like they could do with a better website designer though, as to be honest poorly constructed sites like that put me off, although thanks in this case to 596 we at least now know it's not a scam and you should actually get what you pay for!
Which was how much 596 ?

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Here are the inside of mine, the finish is SUPERB, they have very thick pads inside that you can attach the to the mirrors with for extra security or leave them, it's up to you. Mine were delivered in a week with full tracking and process details sent to me, they came from Canada.

Here are a few pics that show the interior and the thickness of the padding which creates and air pocket that absorbs the shock (y)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c15c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c15c.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 122
  • fullsizeoutput_c159.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c159.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 123
  • mhUJyybPQpGK3SaO0l5KAw.jpg
    mhUJyybPQpGK3SaO0l5KAw.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 117
  • fullsizeoutput_c150.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c150.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I only have a narrow small van so no need??BUSBY.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Here are the inside of mine, the finish is SUPERB, they have very thick pads inside that you can attach the to the mirrors with for extra security or leave them, it's up to you. Mine were delivered in a week with full tracking and process details sent to me, they came from Canada.

Here are a few pics that show the interior and the thickness of the padding which creates and air pocket that absorbs the shock (y)
Not wishing to start an argument as I have neither product at the moment but, looking at your pics and the pics of the interior of the Mirrorguard units, I would probably go for the latter.

The protection offered by both I would compare to the protection offered by crash helmets. Would I be happy with a few “strategically placed” pads or would I prefer a full lining to my helmet.

With 54 years of motorcycling, and still alive:) I would go for the extra protection.

Still, the ones you have shown must offer extra protection over and above “naked” mirrors. It would all come down to cost/benefit analysis.

How much did your protectors cost?

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Not wishing to start an argument as I have neither product at the moment but, looking at your pics and the pics of the interior of the Mirrorguard units, I would probably go for the latter.

The protection offered by both I would compare to the protection offered by crash helmets. Would I be happy with a few “strategically placed” pads or would I prefer a full lining to my helmet.

With 54 years of motorcycling, and still alive:) I would go for the extra protection.

Still, the ones you have shown must offer extra protection over and above “naked” mirrors. It would all come down to cost/benefit analysis.

How much did your protectors cost?
I think you have to look at bike helmets rather than crash helmets ;)

Anyway people have a choice, I never knew I was buying anything different to the other ones, it was just when I got the shipping details from Canada I though WTF. Anyway they are here, they look stunning, I don't hit things, well I never have in 9yrs driving to the SofF and back so only bought them for something to do as I was bored, all I do is look round the forum for ideas of what to get next (y) The price is on their websitehttps://www.mirrorarmour.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjae9_MjJ5QIVSbDtCh1A-wlwEAAYASAAEgLLz_D_BwE

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Im sure 596b you will be happy with your purchase (y)

For me I, would still go for the Mirror Guard again, speaking with the guy who makes them they tried several different materials and foam options and finally come up with http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/index.html and having hit a post I do think it stood up to the test where if the uncovered mirror is anything like our VW Golf it would have been in bits!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Difficult to see from the photos where your ‘air pockets’ are but if the air is not contained/constrained it will not offer any energy absorption.

Are you simply referring to the fact that there is air between each of the padding cushions?

Ian

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Based on experience, a vote for Mirror Guard from me.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I think you have to look at bike helmets rather than crash helmets ;)

Why? I also look for good protection when cycling.

However, as I said, a cost/benefit comparison would help us.

I admit that, when looking at mirror protection, I think Mirrorguard are expensive. So, once again, how much cheaper were yours?

Anything is better than nothing. The info could help quite a few of us on the Forum.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As you said in on of your other threads today "Bright sparks know that a little knowledge is dangerous ? " and I think have proved the point be not having done your background work and before buying what would appear to be inferior product by looking at the construction of the Mirror Armour, but of course everybody else could be wrong, but hay, with yours "the finish is SUPERB" (y)

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
A couple of weeks ago I was driving our Auto Trail V Line up the hill from thr Coalport museum towards the Victorian Village when a “ silly bitch “ in a Volvo XC90 came down the hill at a stupid speed, I stopped as I could see the road was too narrow to pass at speed. Her offside mirror hit my offside mirror so hard it hit the mirror against my side window. Unbelievably I let my window down, felt the back of the Mirror Guarge to check if it was still in one piece, it was OK,wow, I pushed the mirror back in place when a chap that was following me ran up to the side of my van to check if everything was alright. He said I’v got it on my dash cam if you need her number, I said so have I.
He the started to laugh, he said, no wonder she “ fu£&#?d off “ there’s bits of both her mirrors all down the road.
So although our V Line is narrower than a coach build the investment in Mirror Guards paid off.

BernieT

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
So much for research to find the very best product on every purchase ?‍♂️

I haven’t bothered yet but would definitely get Mirror Guards if I do. I saw them at a show and they had examples of all the other versions on the market and they were worlds apart.

A little knowledge is dangerous :nerd:

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I can't compare different protectors. On our previous MH the previous owner had left their Mirror Guards on. When we bought our new MH I removed them and we now have them attached. All I can say is that they have been very effective on a couple of occasions so I can only endorse them.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
After wading through all the gobbledegook on their website, parts of which made me laugh out loud I saw this diagram. Just what relevance does it have to a mirror protector?

IMG_0421.JPG

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
From what I can see there is virtually no difference in price to Mirror Guards.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I don’t see how without a crash test anyone can say which is better even if one is better, if nobody has seen or tested the ones I bought then all the hate about them is pure bluster and absolute nonsense ?

I didn’t intend to get the ones I got I never even knew there was a similar one to mirror guards, I found information on the forum did a search for mirror protectors saw them liked them bought them. The Canadian tracking as I say earlier confused me but they arrived and look beautiful and perfectly made, the thick pads give air protection lousy like a bike helmet, that will do for me.

Can I suggest people just buy what they want, I’m not promoting anything I just questioned if these were all the same. There are far more important things in life than without knowledge or experience, arguing over a bit of plastic, people are allowed choice, why slag off someone if they do something different even if unintentional. I have never bashed mine in 9yrs I only bought these because I couldn’t find anything else to get at the time ?

Im off know to find some more presents for the Motorhome, looking at fitting disco lights for the grandkids ??.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mirror Guards.. here as well... They are well made, thick, and do an excellent job.
Mine have a couple of battle scars now to prove their worth... mainly polished out but you can make out where they have been clumped if you look hard enough

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back