Side loading trailers (2 Viewers)

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
My Sawiko with the extras I have is built to last and it is very versitile. Its a wonderful bit of kit

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I second this. I have one with the extended rear end. It is brilliant, solid and I don't find it too difficult to reverse. I use it to carry my Honda C90 Cub, 2 bikes and a portable massage bed!! Its one big mechano kit and convertable for other options. I've also mounted a Thule storage box on the A frame and it has kept it well balanced. Its a investment and just a brilliant trailer which ticks all the boxes for us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Am interested in purchasing a Saweko Wheely but having little success in finding an agent in the UK. Can anybody who has one tell where you purchased it? Many thanks

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I second this. I have one with the extended rear end. It is brilliant, solid and I don't find it too difficult to reverse. I use it to carry my Honda C90 Cub, 2 bikes and a portable massage bed!! Its one big mechano kit and convertable for other options. I've also mounted a Thule storage box on the A frame and it has kept it well balanced. Its a investment and just a brilliant trailer which ticks all the boxes for us
Am interested in purchasing a Wheely but having trouble finding a U.K. agent. Can you tell me where you purchased yours? Many thanks

DominicG

Free Member
Jun 16, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AT Navajo
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve been trying to hunt down a Sawiko Wheely for a year. I even rode my motorcycle over to main Al-Ko importer today. Still no joy on finding out where I can buy one. Can you offer any advice please?

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I emailed Al-ko the other day in regards a Sawiko wheely…. The reply was not good..

“Hi Paul,

Thank you for the enquiry but unfortunately we are unable to supply these into the UK market.

Best regards
Kris “

looks like it’s a trip to Europe for one, maybe

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I believe Armitage trailers now fit this kit to their side loading mc trailer. I was doing the same as you last year but I fitted a manual winch to my existing Armitage trailer.
The problem I came across with the Sawiko kit is availability, price and weight and that's why I adapted my existing trailer. The removable manual winch makes loading and unloading easier and more controllable.

DominicG

Free Member
Jun 16, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AT Navajo
Exp
Since 2015
I emailed Al-ko the other day in regards a Sawiko wheely…. The reply was not good..

“Hi Paul,

Thank you for the enquiry but unfortunately we are unable to supply these into the UK market.

Best regards
Kris “

looks like it’s a trip to Europe for one, maybe
Last week I rode my Bonneville over to Al-Ko in Southam (their main site) and although it wasn't technically open to the public I did get a reception. Nonetheless, they confirmed what you found out by email. Well done in getting your email answered. I had no luck with that nor did I gain a reply from Germany. Maybe Google translate said something I didn't intend?

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Last week I rode my Bonneville over to Al-Ko in Southam (their main site) and although it wasn't technically open to the public I did get a reception. Nonetheless, they confirmed what you found out by email. Well done in getting your email answered. I had no luck with that nor did I gain a reply from Germany. Maybe Google translate said something I didn't intend?
I did get a price from their UK head office for the kit about a year or so ago and it was about £2.5K.
Although it looks like a good system I was also looking at a French trailer manufacturer which did a similar system. Again expensive but very good mc trailers.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Current price of the Armitage is circa £2700. Lead time 8-10 weeks. Friend of mine has just ordered one. It looks as if Saweko will no longer be available in the UK for obvious reasons. Shame as mine is a real Rolls Royce product.

DominicG

Free Member
Jun 16, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AT Navajo
Exp
Since 2015
I did get a price from their UK head office for the kit about a year or so ago and it was about £2.5K.
Although it looks like a good system I was also looking at a French trailer manufacturer which did a similar system. Again expensive but very good mc trailers.
Do you recall which French company it was please?

DominicG

Free Member
Jun 16, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AT Navajo
Exp
Since 2015
Current price of the Armitage is circa £2700. Lead time 8-10 weeks. Friend of mine has just ordered one. It looks as if Saweko will no longer be available in the UK for obvious reasons. Shame as mine is a real Rolls Royce product.
Thanks. I've emailed Armitages.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Armitage have gone up in price by loads 😡😡

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I bought my side loading Armitage complete with hand winch for my MP3 £1300 about 3 years ago. If you're saying they are now £2700 they've roughly doubled in price.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I spent ages looking at this subject recently... something about the Easy lifter i just don't trust, we have a long reach swan neck type towball..which the maker says he can provide an adaptor for but not convinced by all the stresses going through it...added to that it does not come with a Certificate of Conformity so if you happen to travel abroad and get stopped by an over zealous Cop it may cause an issue...especially now post Brexit.... the Remorque is a fantastic bit of kit but mega expensive... the Armitage is also nice but both of these also present another problem....what to do with them when on site...
In the end i went with a Motolug... tows lovely especially with the optional larger wheels, easy to load as the trailer itself is the ramp... easy to unhook and move if you find yourself in a tight spot... and best of all dismantles completely so when i get to a site i want to stay on long term i can take it apart and store in the garage of my van...

Jun 7, 2020
Poole
Funster No
MH
Adria coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2019
Having just purchased a second hand hydra trail, I think I can shed some light on why they might twist a tow bar.
once I had assembled mine on to the back of my Adria it was clear that it was out of line. ( this was impossible to see when purchased dismantled). In theory this shouldn’t matter as the wheels are castors…. However I wasn’t happy with way it looked.
it was about 30cm closer to back of van one side than the other. The tow bar was brand new and unused, so I was sure it wasn’t that. It turned out be the 50mm square post that the pantograph mounts to was twisted. Now this is a very substantial mount and would take a great deal of force to twist it, so assumed previous owner may have reversed in to something. So , I purchased a brand new replacement bar (£100) and fitted it. Sure enough it lined up now. However on a 500 mile trip, the first couple of times when I reversed on to pitches, I was puzzled to see skid marks on the grass. Also I noticed that the right hand tyre seemed to be wearing rapidly. This came to a head when I reversed across a large tarmac car park and saw a black rubber trail across the car park when I stopped. The wheel was hot and lots of rubber been scrubbed off. On investigation, this wheel had the castor ‘tensioner’ screwed up too tight and under certain conditions wasn’t falling in to line with the vehicle. I.e. when reversing, was actually pushing the wheel sideways across the ground, causing the skid marks and exerting huge pressure on the structure. In fact it bent the new post slightly.. I removed the scooter , jacked it up loosened the clamp slightly and applied some silicone and this seems to have fixed it. It has however destroyed the wheel bearing and tyre as I assume it was at some point also being dragged along forwards out of true.
The adjustment is a very crude jubilee clip which exerts pressure on a nylon bush. This is to prevent ‘shimmying’ at high speeds, but it is pure trial and error to set up correctly. I can only assume the previous owner had it set up too tight which caused the original damage. I’ve only done about 60 miles since, but it now seems ok, but my confidence in the product is reduced. Had I not spotted this problem, the tyre would have scuffed out completely and blown at some point which I would definitely not want to experience.
so if you buy one, keep a close eye on these ‘adjusters’ , they are crude but critical.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
C2742668-07CD-470F-B4E5-E721E11EF92A.jpeg
Our YO remorque , unbelievably good !

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
With the YO Remorque, can you just select reverse gear and drive backwards or is there some set up required?

I have some notion in my head that there is a bracing bar to be fitted and it might not be easy to do. Those that use one, how faff free are they please?

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
As you say their is loads of faffing about to do.
pull two pins, one each side (marked 1) then swing the red bar across and clip to the rear of the motorhome (marked 2)

you can then reverse anywhere you want , u shape , z shape , 20 feet or 200 feet

C7439F44-A388-47FB-B478-991774585CE3.jpeg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As you say their is loads of faffing about to do.
pull two pins, one each side (marked 1) then swing the red bar across and clip to the rear of the motorhome (marked 2)

you can then reverse anywhere you want , u shape , z shape , 20 feet or 200 feet

View attachment 508735
Probably why they're not available in the UK. A requirement here is that reversing must be possible without leaving the towing vehicle.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Probably why they're not available in the UK. A requirement here is that reversing must be possible without leaving the towing vehicle.
Err, I think your getting confused with the older trailers, the ones where you had to flip a lever over to stop the overun brakes coming on , this trailer has no brakes as it’s way under 750kg, it’s still a normal trailer and you can easily reverse it without leaving the towing vehicle , doing the above only ensures it is impossible for the trailer to jackknife ,unlike other motorcycle trailers ( unless it’s the french twin towball type, but they are not a normal trailer going forward ) there are many motorcycle trailers of this design available in Europe , none of which can be purchase new in the U.K. as far as I know, mainly because there are no agents over here
I bought mine direct from the factory near le mans in France

D9B94F2D-980D-49D3-A524-D475ADD4C2DA.jpeg
7B8EF8A5-24F1-463B-9814-03E8C306958A.jpeg
89C4D655-81C5-4129-B500-7D920BC265B6.jpeg
B179132A-8B84-4EAA-B20A-2C00A36923FC.jpeg

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
I have owned this trailer for four years and it’s traveled over 5000 trouble free miles , including a trip to Varna on the Black Sea over Bulgaria famous roads ,my scooter has never Moved onboard it , perhaps because it has proper suspension,

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Larry99…
Have you a link/info for this carrier??👍

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
You can reverse them without leaving the towing vehicle, I do most of the time.
But if it’s a tricky reverse I get out, connect the bar and pop the pins,
It takes a minute or so and then reversing in any situation becomes relatively easy.......it’s genius!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back