side facing seat passengers (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I was wondering about taking a friend on a long (to her) journey lying on the bed in the back of our 1997 converted ambulance, as she gets very tired and sometimes nauseous sitting upright. Seems that should be legal, and reasonably safe?

Can I ask, why you consider a person laying on a bed in a moving vehicle could be considered safe.

Also, if someone is suffering travel sickness laying down would make it worse.

I suggest stopping every hour of so for a short break and a walk would help matters.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Hendrixfan, yes they would be both legal and comfortable ::bigsmile: If Ann gets tired she often lays down with her head on the pillows at the back of the drivers seat :winky:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was wondering about taking a friend on a long (to her) journey lying on the bed in the back of our 1997 converted ambulance, as she gets very tired and sometimes nauseous sitting upright. Seems that should be legal, and reasonably safe?
cant see why not.....long distance continental touring coach drivers do it all the time, one driving...one sleeping

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Can I ask, why you consider a person laying on a bed in a moving vehicle could be considered safe.

Also, if someone is suffering travel sickness laying down would make it worse.

I suggest stopping every hour of so for a short break and a walk would help matters.

Seems to be quite normal and not an unusual occurence, as thousands lie down whist travelling in ambulances in our towns and cities everyday, on that's on roads where you are more likely to to be involved an accident than on a motorway.

And a lot of those passengers are already feeling sick, and are a lot happier to be lying down........:RollEyes:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Seems to be quite normal and not an unusual occurence, as thousands lie down whist travelling in ambulances in our towns and cities everyday, on that's on roads where you are more likely to to be involved an accident than on a motorway.

And a lot of those passengers are already feeling sick, and are a lot happier to be lying down........:RollEyes:
I think there are a few differences between an Ambulance and a Motorhome.....

Ambulance = Emergency Vehicle Motorhome = Private Vehicle
Ambulances can drive through red lights, Motorhomes cannot
Ambulance has blue flashing lights, Motorhomes have not
Ambulancees are driven by trained ambulance drivers, Motorhomes are not
Ambulances are insured to carry person in bed, Motorhomes are not

I could go on but I think I have made my point:shout:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think there are a few differences between an Ambulance and a Motorhome.....

Ambulance = Emergency Vehicle Motorhome = Private Vehicle
Ambulances can drive through red lights, Motorhomes cannot
Ambulance has blue flashing lights, Motorhomes have not
Ambulancees are driven by trained ambulance drivers, Motorhomes are not
Ambulances are insured to carry person in bed, Motorhomes are not

I could go on but I think I have made my point:shout:

Ambulance = Emergency Vehicle Motorhome = Private Vehicle----yes ::bigsmile:
Ambulances can drive through red lights, Motorhomes cannot--Ambulances are more likely to have an accident by doing that :Eeek:
Ambulance has blue flashing lights, Motorhomes have not --- so what :Smile:
Ambulancees are driven by trained ambulance drivers, Motorhomes are not---give you that one :winky: but it still does not make them better drivers than some others :winky:
Ambulances are insured to carry person in bed, Motorhomes are not---yep they are if on a side seat/bed pre 2007 :Smile::Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
the law is the law...

Children children...you cant be trusted to make your own discisions about seat belts so we the gov of the day are taking away your right to decide for yourself....

That was then and I hated it....now as a doddery ole fool I have to admit I never drive without belts, front or rear. Not because of the law, but because it increases my chance of survival when that drunk driver vears into me.

And it has saved the NHS billions over the years in ops and nursing care for the near mortaly injured accident victims..

The real question is..if all that money has been saved..why is the NHS still in trouble.

Anyway I have heard rumour that a NEW law is about to be passed about which way you tie your shoelaces...a single loop over knot is no longer sufficient as the lace can loosen and you could trip and fall under a bus costing the NHS millions a year.
A law will soon be passed that you have to double tie your shoelace and eventually by 2015 shoelaces will be phased out and banned altogether....go on then .....altogether "by 2015 shoe laces will be phased out and banned".....also the import of bananas will be stopped by 2016 to put an end once and for all about slippin on a skin....

Hendrixfan

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
As Pappajohn said - coach drivers do, although is that legal? I know when I was trucking we were told that it didn't count as your 8 hours off if it was on a bunk in a moving truck. And I'm not a trained ambulance driver but I have held an HGV licence since 1975, so I don't think I can be that bad a driver.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think we should stop a minute .m,homes up to 2007 or there abouts (cant remember exactly)dont need belts in the back and can carry passengers . ambulances police etc cant go through red lights etc ,or speed ,legally . they still have to abide by the rules they arent exempt. lets not get carried away . i dont need belts in my truck so havent got them well not in the front. they are optional . so i removed them . many seem to not ever read the rules . do your homework before shouting at people. my view is if you dont need them dont have them .

Ikonos74

Free Member
May 31, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2010
so i have a swift sundance (4 berth) that was registered July 2007, and I have driver and passenger seat, 2 rear seats behind driver (with 3 point belts) for the kids; and a sideward seat with no seatbelts for 2 people behind the passenger seat.

can I use the sidewards seats for my inlaws to travel in, because i want to go to europe next year and we were hoping to go as a full family with large awning.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
on the rock and roll band tour busses they say its ok to sleep in the bunks whilst moving as long as you are traveling feet first that way if the bus crashes you only break your legs not your neck.

OP
OP
D

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
just found certificate in owners pack saying my bessacarr e560 has 4 passenger seats 1 front facing 3 side facing registered 2008 built 2007

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
on the rock and roll band tour busses they say its ok to sleep in the bunks whilst moving as long as you are traveling feet first that way if the bus crashes you only break your legs not your neck.

Hmmm, could be a read-end collision! Just risk it. The chances are it will never happen. You could be run over on a zebra crossing! You could fall off the ladder painting the kitchen. Shock, horror, you might even die of natural causes!!! :roflmto:

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back