Sicily Anyone? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Planning a trip to Italy in October and was wondering if it is worth driving down to Sicily
Would appreciate any suggestion or feedback from anyone has been there, especially later in the year
Thanks
Robert

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
one day, but not in summer, so will have to wait for wife to retire...:coffee:

Roads in North fine (EU money) as you head south they deteriorate..I know that much

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Partway through reading this book on my Kindle: - 'Just One Cornetto: London to Sicily in a Small Motorhome'. Very entertaining. By the same author that wrote 'How Katie Pulled Boris'.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G2H7GG6/?tag=mhf04-21

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We already did Tuscany last October and was planning another trip this year to Venice and then Croatia, but thought Sicily would be warmer

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
It was part of Magna Grecia and is stuffed full of temples, ruins and fantastic museums (all of which are free if you are over 65) if you like that sort of thing. Watch Montabano for the atmosphere. If you take the ferry to Messina a furthe 5 k down the road in Reggio da Calabria on the main land are the Riace bronzes. breath taking.

On the way down The bay of Naples is fantastic and there is enough interest there to have at least a week of day trips. A convenient site is the ASCI Camping Pompeii. It is literally just outside the entrance to ancient Pompeii, there is also a railway station adjacent that will take you to Naples, Herculean, Sorrento (for Capri), Solerno etc etc. You can get day tickets that will also cover you for the buses quite reasonably. An early start and you can get the train to Sorrento, bus down the Amalfi coast to Amalfi (don’t contemplate driving it yourself) and another one up to Revello. All for less than 5 euro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riace_bronzes

Dick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would appreciate any suggestion or feedback from anyone has been there, especially later in the year
Thanks
Robert

I assume you read the blog of the NZ guy who cleared up the boules tournament in Sicily this new year, it's all on here and very tempting too.

What worries me are the thousands of Africans constantly arriving and dying in the area.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Remember the drive down the length of Italy is longer than the Drive from UK to Italy.

We went to Sicily two years ago and took the ferry from Genoa to Palermo.
We thought it was better to have longer on the island - 3 weeks- rather than take 8 days to drive down Italy and back

A number of the Brits we met had Driven Down but then decided to take the ferry back.

So unless you have plenty of time or want to stop off at Pompeii etc ( though Motorhomes are not allowed on the Amalfi Coast road during the day) then I would take the ferry (24 hrs)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Pm flatpackchicken. He's a regular down there :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So unless you have plenty of time or want to stop off at Pompeii etc

Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorento, Capri -- need to be seen.

Though Oct might be a bit late, places closed for winter. We stopped in Sorento in Sept and the campsite was preparing to close, little in the shop, however the weather was great and we had a great time.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Sicily is a fantastic place, wonderful Greek,Roman,Norman and Baroque temples, Villas and Churches. Scenery is magnificent, the weather, outside of July and August, great and the people lovely.
It is far away and predominantly a cash economy, campsites and some petrol stations and the Ferry from Palermo to Geneva only take cash. Some areas can be a little third world but that makes for the whole experience

Certainly well worth the trip.

Enjoy

Bob

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We enjoyed Sicily and spent nearly four weeks there last year. To see where we went look on our site, in maps go to 2014 trip map. Click on the kangaroo icons of the places we have stayed and on each place there is a link to the blog we have written.
www.travelbunyip.com
Hope this is of some help.

A

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi Robert, I'm at San Vito Lo Capo in Sicily at the moment awaiting friends. I drove down last year through mainland Italy but decided to get the ferry from Genoa to Palermo this time (via Sardinia for 17 days which is beautiful) and will travel back through Italy. As already stated, there are fantastic ruins like Agrigento, Segesta and Selinunte etc and some nice places like Trapani and Taormina. Bar Vitelli at Savoca was used in the movie The Godfather and is in a beautiful location. Then you have Etna and nice beaches etc, the weather has been nice recently and temperatures of 30°c are expected on Monday. Its definately one of my favourite places so far.

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi Robert,
I'll likely be heading down at the end of December, just me and my little dog.
I spent a lot of time driving through Italy to get the ferry from Bari to the Peloponnese back in winter 2009 and had a terrific adventure all through it - good and not so good. All depends on how much time you have to dilly-dally. I got completely sidelined by so many places and that's what made the trip magic and memorable. If you just want to blast straight through and end up in Sicily, you'll probably find the journey very tedious, especially once past Rome.
Of course in winter you need to be prepared to do a lot of wild camping, sostas and generally be self-sufficient. On this coming trip, I think I'll do some island hoping on the way down: Marseille - Corsica - Sardinia - Sicily. Will then probably drive back up via mainland and summer in Germany or the like.
Sicily looks like a total winner, and for me, the off-season will be even more wonderful if not a bit chillier!
Good luck with your plans,

Moritz

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Italy
Funster No
MH
Alkoven
Exp
since 2013
Anybody needs tons of information on sicily on motorhome? There is a friend and former motorhome-entusiast in Palermo which is collecting and sharing all this information by mail.
I don't know if it is allowed to post email-addresses here - just let me know.
If you write Franco a mail, he will reply with tons of information about touring sicily in motorhome including a comprehensive list of all places to wild-camp as well as "aree di sosta" and campgrounds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back