Rally Chat Shuttleworth Collection (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
About ten years ago when I was a member of the American RV Club, we held a Rally at the Shuttleworth Collection Airfield just off the AI close to Biggleswade , We were allocated an area along side the runway, and very close to the hangers. We had Free weekend access to the aircraft collection. and on the Sunday evening had ringside seats to the air show ( fabulous for camera addicts). There was a major supermarket nearby and of course Biggleswade and its shops for the ladies.
I am unable to take on the responsibilities of organising and running a rally, but throw the idea into the ring as an idea that someone local to the area may want to take up.
Should anyone take up the idea we would be happy to volunteer as marshals.

Fred and Joan

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Anyone unfamiliar with the Shuttleworth Collection can get a good idea about it from this program. The relevant bit starts about halfway through.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if organised, we would love to attend a rally there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Fabulous working collection of iconic aeroplanes and a good day out. I don't normally consider rallies but I might make an exception here!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Anyone unfamiliar with the Shuttleworth Collection can get a good idea about it from this program. The relevant bit starts about halfway through.

This tv programme is brill btw :D

Not sure if it's something that @Wombles might take on??? Probably needs to recover from Lymington 1st!

And yes, I'd be really interested too:)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I would be really interested in this if it was to take off :whistle: as I visit Shuttleworth twice a year and I have noticed that they now have a dedicated area for vans etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's one of those places that makes Great Britain seem real, the craftsmanship and dedication can only be described as Great. Men using their hands and simple tools to work magic. There may be some women but I think it's more a man place. Life without electronics.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
There is a steam rally there 14th -16th September....camping available and it is a great show and the museum and Swiss gardens are amazing.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Unfortunately i could not commit to organising due to impending medical issues but would be interested in attending.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just for info really.....I can see they have their own campsite, no mention of a rally field. I can't get a reply on the contact mobile it lists & left a message on the visitor line a day or two ago...not had a response so far.
I'll try and chase it up next week.

If they don't have a rally field then folks could agree a date and book direct with the site. As you'd expect, there are differing prices depending on whether there's an event taking place.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just for info really.....I can see they have their own campsite, no mention of a rally field. I can't get a reply on the contact mobile it lists & left a message on the visitor line a day or two ago...not had a response so far.
I'll try and chase it up next week.

If they don't have a rally field then folks could agree a date and book direct with the site. As you'd expect, there are differing prices depending on whether there's an event taking place.
Careful Deb you are getting drawn in(y) put our name on the list please:LOL:

Martin

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
I don't think they have an actual rally field, just a long runway. If you go ahead Debs, put us down and if you need a marshal we are there should you want us.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I don't think they have an actual rally field, just a long runway. If you go ahead Debs, put us down and if you need a marshal we are there should you want us.
:LOL: Getting a bit ahead of yourself there although your offer is appreciated;):LOL: I would really like to visit though & at the minute I'm just interested in finding out a bit more info.

There's lots to take on running a rally, let alone the responsibility....a meet on the other hand where everyone just books direct is another matter - IF my understanding is right (happy to be corrected:))

Don't suppose they'd be too happy about us all parking on the runway either:LOL:

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Hi I e-mailed them about camping and they said they do allow camping for the weekend of the air shows - directing me to their website. I can’t find the dates for next year yet but was going to look into it once the dates are up - but only as a meet where people book it themselves direct with Shuttleworth - was going to post dates.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi I e-mailed them about camping and they said they do allow camping for the weekend of the air shows - directing me to their website. I can’t find the dates for next year yet but was going to look into it once the dates are up - but only as a meet where people book it themselves direct with Shuttleworth - was going to post dates.

Ok(y) will you be asking if they would be happy to set aside an area for fun vans to be parked up together (assuming that's what folks wanted)?

I am also assuming that this is nothing to do with their camp site that's open all the time.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Ok(y) will you be asking if they would be happy to set aside an area for fun vans to be parked up together (assuming that's what folks wanted)?

I am also assuming that this is nothing to do with their camp site that's open all the time.
Well they said that they have a onsite camping area but for the air shows only so will ask them if they have the dates yet

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
My sister has just been to a prom night and had a great time. We've visited a few times and its very interesting - would make a good rally (can't volunteer though - sorry).

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have also asked them if they have a seperate rally field available. Will let you know when they come back to me. Thanks
I've re read the site info, I can see what you're saying now about camping being available, sorry :blush: I think it was the comment on their site about non event reduced admission.

Last edited:

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Have had a reply from Shuttleworth by e-mail. They have approximate dates for 2019 but they are not certain yet if anyone wants those and they do have a small rally field (it’s the staffs really) that holds upto 15 vans.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have had a reply from Shuttleworth by e-mail. They have approximate dates for 2019 but they are not certain yet if anyone wants those and they do have a small rally field (it’s the staffs really) that holds upto 15 vans.
that's great, thanks for the update,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back