Shurflo water pump pressure switch broken and by-passed but now issues with Truma Combi (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We are in Germany! The water pump packed up late last night. Diagnosed as broken connector on pressure switch so have by passed the pressure switch so we can operate the water by using the main on/off water switch above the hab door.

This morning the Truma Combi boiler is showing a red fault light. I imagine this might be due to inadequate water pressure. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated!

My wife was due to wash her hair this morning so you can imagine she is not best pleased!

I was feeling quite pleased with myself until the boiler issue turned up. We are not on a hookup so boiler trying to run on gas.

Van is an Autotrail Frontier Savannah 2010 and water pump is Shurflo 20 psi 2095-204-112.

Clearly need to find a replacement pressure switch or a new pump asap but any help or advice as to this morning's hot water showering needs gratefully received! I can perhaps assume strip wash using the kettle to boil the water!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Now the pump appears to have stopped working and is warm/hot to touch so looks like its find a tap time then find a new pump!

We are at Bad Mergentium heading towards Erwin Hymer's at Wertheim.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Truma won't fail because of low pressure - when it's used on a microswitch tap system there is NO pressure. It will fail due to over-pressure. If, because of the broken pressure switch, you have turned off the taps before switching off the pump, or (even worse) you have left the pump on with all the taps turned off, the pump will pressurise the system way above the boiler design pressure. It will also run until it stalls then overheat very, very quickly. Which is likely to be why it has failed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just to add to the fun and confuse matters the first gas cylinder ran out so changed over to No 2 cylinder and Truma seems OK but will leave turned off until we have found a new pump. Pump now cooled and will only be used as and when required and not left on!

Got a couple of buckets of water from the Stellplatz tap and now boiling the kettle!

Perhaps worth carrying a spare pump in future!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Whilst you've got it wired up like that, only switch pump on when you need to run water, and then off again straight afterwards.
Otherwise the pump will keep on trying to run long after you've turned off taps, as there's no micro-switch in line telling it to stop.
Any MH dealer in your area will stock a replacement tap/switch - or even a replacement pump of the type that has the pressure switch built in to the actual pump instead, which in my view is a much better and simpler system.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Our Shurflo has the pressure switch as a detachable, replaceable part at the base of the pump so hopefully we can just replace that. Trouble is there is a more up to date model to replace our pump so no doubt spares will no longer be available. Best bet will be a new switch and a new pump and then I'll have a spare!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Hi everyone

Many thanks for your help and the replies.

Arrived today at Erwin Hymer World at Wertheim where there is also an adjacent large outlet village - other half now shopped out!

They didn't have my precise pump but I have been able to buy a Shurflo greater capacity but same pressure 12 volt pump for 60% more money with built in pressure release valve. All the same fittings so just fitted to spade terminals to the wires, longer screws and new screw holes as the base is bigger and hey presto we have a working pump again.

168 Euros. My pump would have been 99 Euros and between £50 and £65 from the Internet at home. Well pleased! Now off to look at Hymer's et al.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back