Shurflo Trail King short cycling (1 Viewer)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm having some issues with my new water installation. It uses a 30psi 10.6lpm Shurflo Trail King 10. All pipework is new. It is run in a mixture of 15mm domestic pipework on the inlet side and 1/2" bore reinforced food grade hose on the output. Outletwise there is a kitchen tap, basin tap, thermostatic shower and toilet. Tank is actually located at same height as pump.

Unfortunately, it is short cycling very badly (i.e. about once per second). Only the basin tap (which is a domestic type) has enough flow to stop the cycling. The shower and kitchen tap (both caravan types) short cycle badly. The impression at the outlets are that both the pressure and flow are weak, much worse than a caravan with a £10 submersible pump. There is no entrained air (at least after the hot tank is full).

Inlet filter is clear. No hose kinks. Tank is vented. A Fiamma A20 accumulator pre-set to 2 bar makes no difference/makes the cycling actually slightly worse. This is a brand new installation and has never worked properly. There's a few elbows in the system, but I can't imagine they'd restrict flow this amount.

I'm stumped. It feels like a restriction in the pipework after the pump, but there is nothing I can find and 1/2" reinforced hose is pretty hard to block. Could it actually be the pump itself? Any ideas?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I seem to recall that there is trim screw on those pumps , have you looked at the diagrams for your model ?

OP
OP
cmcardle75

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, I did try fiddling with it. Although I understand all it does is modify the "off" pressure. It had little effect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Make sure you have got all the air out of all the pipes, don't forget the loo flush.
I recently fitted the same pump to my Hymer to replace the submersible pump.

I had a different problem I was getting a lot of vibration on the shower mixer, I realised I hadn't run any water through my shower tap in the garage after opening the tap and running some water through it was all fine. I didn't need an accumulator on mine it runs fine without pulsing.

Although the flow rate on the submersible was 19Lt/min and the Trail King is 10.6Lt/min the pressure and flow at all the taps is much better with the Trail King.

I also found adjusting the pump pressure switch didn't really make any difference.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
A few suggestions here

OP
OP
cmcardle75

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well I've ordered a much larger accumulator. 8 litres rather than the 1 litre Fiamma. We'll see if it short cycles just trying to fill the accummulator!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back