Shurflo 4029 Water pump won't stop (1 Viewer)

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
I was awoken at about 6am by a humming noise which I first thought was a generator in a nearby van but turned out to be my water pump running for no reason.

It is a Shurflo 4029-181-A32. My van is a 2013 AT Comanche.

I have read previous water pump threads and gone through all the possible causes I could find:

I can't find a significant leak and the fresh tank is full with hot and cold running as normal. It's just that the pump is on all the time. I now have to switch it off at the control panel to stop it.

I have located the screw on the end of the pump which controls the pressure at which the valve should close to stop the pump and adjusted it with an Allen key 3 full turns in both directions to no avail.

I have taken the filter off and emptied the small amount of detritus which was in there.

All the wires seem OK.

Can anyone think of anything else?

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Could a faulty relay on the tap do this?

Pump thinks the tap is open when it’s not?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If there is definitely no air In the system----- and no water is being pumped out anywhere------ I think it can only be the pressure switch????????-------- I would have suggested fitting an in line switch but these seem to be quite expensive???? ( Unless you can find a cheap one???)
I think the most practical solution would be a new pump, and keep the old one as a spare---- swap the switch over IF you ever had to use it. ------ these pumps are incredibly reliable in our experience!!!!!
Maybe if you looked inside you switch you might find some rubbish?????
Wait for some more useful suggestions!!!!!!!!
I haven't looked for you pump part No. just assume it's a normal sureflow one!!!!!!!------ it might be something totally different!!!!!!
Edit----- --------if your van has micro switches on the taps------ ignore everything I said!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes I was just going to ask if its a pressure sensing system or a microswitch one but odd there are no leaks

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I can't see any pressure switches at the taps, I think the system must be pressurised. I can't work out where the water is going if it is being pumped when the taps are closed. Water flows when taps are opened so it is capable of pumping.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
There’s a video on YouTube showing a crack in the filter housing. Not sure if yours is similar.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ours to ages of fiddling before a new pump cured the problem.

They are not that expensive, throw one in.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Almost certainly the pressure microswitch in the end of the pump.
A replacement switch block is available or you could simply swap the microswitch itself.
I was told by reputable dealer they aren't replaceable... Rubbish.... Takes 10 minutes.

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Can they be taken apart fairly easily? I don't want to end up with no pump at all. I'm in France (Brantome) at the moment but heading home.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have the same problem which sorts itself out if I give the micro switch a tap, so I guess it's stickining or dirty contacts. The problem is I can't find the correct replacement switch, part No 94-890-00. Did you replaces yours?

OP
OP
1881TB

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have replaced the pump. However, the new pump does the same thing. I have just spent some time on hook up and it is fine so I'm guessing it's an electrical problem, maybe a voltage drop..? I have replaced my leisure batteries and will see if that has fixed it in a few days of non-hooked up camping. There is also a weep from the kitchen tap - it is very slight but it will be the next thing to be replaced until I get to the bottom of the problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back