Shureflo pump pulsing (1 Viewer)

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Anyone else got a Rollerteam with a Shurflo pump?

Just picked up a new to us 2018 685 and when you open a tap slowly the water pulses and the pump is making a loud pulsing noise which carries on for a few seconds after closing the tap.

Are they all like this or do I maybe need to fit an accumulator etc

I have searched the forum but can't find quite the same description of fault.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thought they all did that...ours does. If the pump is too noisy it may be because of the way it’s fitted e.g.vibrating in confined space or lack of insulation.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
On our pump, on the end of the pump there is a tiny Alan key adjustment. It’s part of the pressure switch and you’ll see wires coming out of the switch.
Adjusting the screw whilst the tap is running will stop the pulsating

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Griff097

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
On our pump, on the end of the pump there is a tiny Alan key adjustment. It’s part of the pressure switch and you’ll see wires coming out of the switch.
Adjusting the screw whilst the tap is running will stop the pulsating
Thanks guys I will have a look when we get back.

I was saying to Quackers last night how friendly and helpful this forum is.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Still got our setup instructions 😎

20210602_100155.jpg

20210602_100247.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Our pump runs few seconds after closing the tap. We have a small fiamma expansion vessel after the pump to eliminate pulsing. Also when you open the tap, it delays the start, depending on water usage. The expansion vessel holds 1L of water so if you take less, the pump will not start until vessel empties.

OP
OP
Griff097

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
I can't seem to find a location for an Allen key, the pumps not that accessible tbh

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_112732.jpg
    IMG_20210710_112732.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
Griff097

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
On that pump it will be a Philips screw on the end of the black plastic section.
I will try again tomorrow, struggling with a trapped nerve and unless I can get the table out its nigh on inaccessible for me at 6'5 and the gap between the bottom of the pump and the pipe is pretty slim.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Try using a mirror to see the screw. What I would suggest though is in yor OP you stated when tap is opened slowly. Yes it will pulse. If not fully open it will continally pulse as it can build up pressure faster than it is being let out of a partially opened tap.

OP
OP
Griff097

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Try using a mirror to see the screw. What I would suggest though is in yor OP you stated when tap is opened slowly. Yes it will pulse. If not fully open it will continally pulse as it can build up pressure faster than it is being let out of a partially opened tap.
Pulses heavily at all flow rates not just pulsing but banging.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I have had various water pumps including Shurflo and the only one that did not pulse was a submersible in a 1995 Swift Kon-Tiki. I have tried the "adjustment" with no difference to the pulsing. If you read all the instructions for setting it there is a bit that mentions any pipework or device that reduces the flow will make the pump pulse. Incidently, the pump pictured is not quite verticle, I wonder if that is a replacement?

Fat Albert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
If it's banging I would suggest looking at the anti vibration rubber mounting bushes between the pump and the attachment bracket. My pump was attached so there was no movement between the pump and bracket. All the pump vibrations were going straight through the van, like living in a loud speaker, amplified by the van structure. I inserted a piece of EPDM rubber sheet between the attachment bracket and the van. It has help but still get the pulsing but the banging is very much reduced that I don't consider it a problem.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
If you fit an inline 12MM one way valve in the water line near your "fresh water tank outlet" it stops water running back to the water tank when the pump is OFF.
That stops air pockets being formed in the cold water pipe.

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
Since 2019, caravans from 2010
On that pump it will be a Philips screw on the end of the black plastic section.
Check the filter is full of water while it's running. You may have a crack in the body. I was getting continual running when shut off. I back flowed the pump and it cleared a small piece of debris in the feedpipe

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you fit an inline 12MM one way valve in the water line near your "fresh water tank outlet" it stops water running back to the water tank when the pump is OFF.
That stops air pockets being formed in the cold water pipe.
Two of those are built into the pump. You only need one for an in-tank pump.

OP
OP
Griff097

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
If it's banging I would suggest looking at the anti vibration rubber mounting bushes between the pump and the attachment bracket. My pump was attached so there was no movement between the pump and bracket. All the pump vibrations were going straight through the van, like living in a loud speaker, amplified by the van structure. I inserted a piece of EPDM rubber sheet between the attachment bracket and the van. It has help but still get the pulsing but the banging is very much reduced that I don't consider it a problem.
Thanks very much to Fat Albert for sending me some rubber to put behind the pump mountings for free, a generous soul indeed, it has made a little difference and no amount of adjusting the screw on the pump made any difference unfortunately.
There is a loose pipe or flexi in the bathroom that is bouncing off the side of the van with the pulsing just to exacerbate the problem.
Next step will be an accumulator, when I have 5 mins.

Sep 29, 2019
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Solway PVC
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks very much to Fat Albert for sending me some rubber to put behind the pump mountings for free, a generous soul indeed, it has made a little difference and no amount of adjusting the screw on the pump made any difference unfortunately.
There is a loose pipe or flexi in the bathroom that is bouncing off the side of the van with the pulsing just to exacerbate the problem.
Next step will be an accumulator, when I have 5 mins.
If you can get access to that pipe in the bathroom, put some cheap foam pipe insulation around it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back