Shrewsbury Park and Ride (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Does anyone know if there are any height barriers in the P& R sites in Shrewsbury. Carn't see anything on their website, but carn't see a phone number either to ring them.
Despite the dismal weather forecast for the weekend, we are still going to head off to Shropshire for a few days, and plan to visit Shrewsbury on Friday (tomorrow).
Any advice great fully received.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Meole Brace Park and Ride Yes 2.4m height barrier
Oxon Park and Ride I cant see a barrier on google maps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Yes there are height barriers at the P&R,i have seen several MH park by the enterance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Just managed to speak to someone at the visitor information, who said that she believed that there were barriers at the P& R sites, but if we pulled up at the enterance and waited for a bus, they would probably tell us where we can park or possibly lift the barrier for us.
Is it me? A simple yes or no would help!! Like the driver is going to lift the barrier, dream on!!

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Just managed to speak to someone at the visitor information, who said that she believed that there were barriers at the P& R sites, but if we pulled up at the enterance and waited for a bus, they would probably tell us where we can park or possibly lift the barrier for us.
Is it me? A simple yes or no would help!! Like the driver is going to lift the barrier, dream on!!

Actually, I've heard that mentioned before but sadly can't confirm. Making things easy obviously isn't the Shropshire way :unsure:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There are height barriers. When we were in Shrewsbury earlier in the year there was a number to call for motorhome parking. We stayed at the Oxon campsite so didn't use the P&R.

I was told to go to this website for information:
https://new.shropshire.gov.uk/parking/general-parking-faqs/

which tells you to consider using the Harlescott P&R.

This is the number for the council: 0345 678 9000

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can't confirm but @jonegood might have a better idea as they live there, but Iif you fancy an overnight stay you should be able to stop on the agricultural show ground as they have camping, it will then be a mile or less into town.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
There are height barriers. When we were in Shrewsbury earlier in the year there was a number to call for motorhome parking. We stayed at the Oxon campsite so didn't use the P&R.

I was told to go to this website for information:
https://new.shropshire.gov.uk/parking/general-parking-faqs/

which tells you to consider using the Harlescott P&R.

This is the number for the council: 0345 678 9000
Thanks, Have Tried the tel number, but it's no longer in use! Will have a look at the Harlescott P& R.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Just had an on-line chat with arriva, who run out of Halescott site? They also couldn't tell me, and referred me back to the council, who's number is no longer available.
Slowly loosing the will to live! Think I will have half an hour in my darkened room Not sure half an hour will be enough

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Shropshire County Council
Tel: (01743) 250000

from the bt telephone book. The previous was from their own website.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Shropshire County Council
Tel: (01743) 250000

from the bt telephone book. The previous was from their own website.
Would you believe it, rang the number and the message ' this number is not in service'. Back to the darkened room

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Harlescott P&R is next to Tesco,do some shoping,let them know your parked there,short walk to P&R. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Would you believe it, rang the number and the message ' this number is not in service'. Back to the darkened room

Shame on the council. Just not good enough.

What do the residents do in an emergency????

I have sent them an email in the hope that will work and provide a phone number that works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Nigel L
Last year we WERE able to contact them, were told to go to Meole Brook, we were told to turn up, ask at the little brick hut and then we were told to park on the raised bit where the bus shelters are. Circle around this streetview location & you'll see the entrance, the brick hut, and the place where we were told to park. You drive in the bit where it says 'buses only' ie where the camera is, NOT where the black car is.

To check that it's still OK! - Shrewsbury P&R is run by Arriva, contact here
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/contact-us/chat-live-to-our-advisors/

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Frankwell is very convenient for the town and there are some longer bays.

You could also go onto the truck park at Abbey Foregate SY2 6BA should get you close, its next to the Abbey Church. I think its £5/24 hours, your not officially supposed to sleep but people do, there s been a guy in an Opus on there for the last few days. either are convenient for the town.

Otherwise if you fancy a stay over as @funflair said try west mid showground, £10 without ehu £15 with

Broken Link Removed

Nice walk into town but make sure when you depart do not turn right onto the A528 unless you are under 11 feet.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
This is an extract from the email I just got back from them:

I am sorry to hear that you have encountered difficulties contacting us.

Please find information below for our Council Service contacts:

The link to our webpage is:

Service

Number

General enquiries:

0345 678 9000

which is the number I gave before and you found didn't work! Could it be that your phone blocks 0345 and similar numbers?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
image.jpeg
Thanks Puddleduck, may well be my phone then.
Anyway, as you can see above, eventually arrived in Shrewsbury, and tried the Meole P & R site, and as GVH said, they let us park on the raised pavement where the buses pickup/drop off.
Now stopping at the Horse and Jockey in Grindley Wharf, on their field next door to the pub. Excellent ale, very reasonable prices, and the food is excellent.
Will sleep well tonight:)

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
View attachment 120665 Thanks Puddleduck, may well be my phone then.
Anyway, as you can see above, eventually arrived in Shrewsbury, and tried the Meole P & R site, and as GVH said, they let us park on the raised pavement where the buses pickup/drop off.
Now stopping at the Horse and Jockey in Grindley Wharf, on their field next door to the pub. Excellent ale, very reasonable prices, and the food is excellent.
Will sleep well tonight:)
Pleased it still works then! Looks like you were parked almost exactly where we were, too!
Hope you enjoyed Shrewsbury.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back