Shown as not insured on Askmid (1 Viewer)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Our insurance renewal date was 8 July.

We renewed on 26 June after a ring around with our provider the C&CC.

Just checked a few minutes ago and we are shown as not insured on Askmid, so we will be showing as not insured on police databases.

We will be contacting C&CC after 9 am to find out what is happening, and to ensure there has not been a payment problem we were not aware about, there should not be.

If everything is ok it would then appear to be the timeliness of Askmid updates.

We will in any case be carrying our documentation with us.

Are you ok on Askmid?
Broken Link Removed

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Weird , just checked to see if we were on it.. Came up as a no?.. renewed our insurance of the van with Aib sometime in April or May ..
Paperwork is onboard , but will have to check later as on way to a meet at the mo

Just checked out our car and that is verified ok

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Just tried again on the ask mid site , now says yes insured... Waited until 9am..opening hours :LOL::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Can take a little while for the database to be updated, they probably do it in batches.

I play it safe and always carry documentation with me if I'm away for a more than a few days - a police "producer" gives you 7 days.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can take a little while for the database to be updated, they probably do it in batches.

I play it safe and always carry documentation with me if I'm away for a more than a few days - a police "producer" gives you 7 days.
I was under the impression a 7 day wonder is no longer issued for insurance checks.

If you cant prove you have insurance at the roadside then the vehicle is impounded.

If you arent on the MID database, but have documentation, the police will ring your insurer or broker to confirm.
If all is ok you are on your way....if not, you are walking.

Police WILL NOT let you go without insurance.

OP
OP
grumps147

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
That's why I was checking. I also had it confirmed by C&CC that we are definitely insured and it's the lag between the renewal date and the upload that is the problem.

Docs in with us for Sandy tomorrow.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Take from the Motor Insurers Bureau

When I get a new policy or update my cover, how long does it take to get on MID?

The MID can be updated 24/7. So, depending on the insurance provider and the organisation loading your data to the MID, it can be updated within a few hours. For some insurers the process is a little longer and may take a few days.

The insurance companies have a target of 7 days to get your data onto the MID (unless your policy is a commercial, fleet or motor trade policy, in which case the target is 14 days) but the vast majority of the data is on the MID within a couple of days.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I was under the impression a 7 day wonder is no longer issued for insurance checks.

If you cant prove you have insurance at the roadside then the vehicle is impounded.

If you arent on the MID database, but have documentation, the police will ring your insurer or broker to confirm.
If all is ok you are on your way....if not, you are walking.

Police WILL NOT let you go without insurance.

Yes, BUT they will phone your stated insurer just to make sure before they slap you and van in irons. AND, they will give you the chance to insure it there and then, (you will get prosecuted, but they wont nick your wheels).

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our insurance is with Allianz via Safeguard. At the point our van was 1 yr old, we attempted to tax it online.
It failed, the MID was not updated. We taxed at our local Post Office anyway using the paper certificate of insurance.
The MID was not updated for a further week!
To stop this problem reoccurring, we taxed the van for 6 months in that instance. The insurance renewal and tax renewal are now staggered by 6 months.
This was 3 yrs ago. One hopes the insurance company and broker have sorted their lives out by now!

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
We went for six months not on the database before the dvla got in touch to say we were not insured. Some plonker in the insurance brokers office got the paperwork mixed up and the databank was not informed. After several attempts to sort it and being told they had fixed things ( not!) I ended up having to email the insurance company in Gibraltar for help. A very nice lady there put her boot up the backside of the brokers to get them to sort it. Needless to say I cancelled my policy with them and got a full refund plus a bit of compo and started a new policy elsewhere. A bit scary when the letter came though the post though!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Back in May 2011 my wife, daughter and grandson were trapped in Valencia, being quoted 10 days by easy jet for their return flight, so I decided to drive down and collect them.
As it was a Saturday morning and we had not been sent the latest insurance certificate my boss went in to the office at 5am to send me digital copy which I printed out and took with me.

3 weeks after this a woman ran in to the back of my car so I rang the insurers only to be told that I was not insured.

It turned out that the registration number of the new car I had taken delivery of had not been given to the broker, and myself and 17 other guys were driving around in uninsured cars for up to 17 weeks.

One of my colleagues had even been pulled over a few days before and after a discussion because his car was showing as uninsured the cop let him go because his sergeant told him they would not find his registration as it was a group policy?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The real problem with MID is if you have bought a vehicle privately and wish to drive it home. After October it will have no RFL so you arrive at the sellers, examine the vehicle, agree to buy it, then wish to insure & tax it. Insurance no problem - a phone call will sort that. When you pop into the local PO or go online to purchase RFL your application will be refused if your insurance isn't on MID. I assume other Funsters have bought a vehicle in this way in the past (not necessarily a MH)? So I am I correct or is there a solution?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Going back quite a few years now, shortly after the computerised system for insurance was first used by police my husband was stopped in our car on his way to collect me from work by Traffic Police.

They told him they had heard all the stories before and were going to seize the car. Apparently one of the local bobbies was walking by and a conversation between the police officers ensued.

Hubby was then allowed to use his mobile to phone me.

I got a work colleague to run me down - I had the insurance documents on me - as when we renewed insurance I had to take it to work as my car was used for work purposes too on occasions.

Much as all my documents were correct and the payment had cleared (all of which I could prove) it transpired that someone somewhere had transposed the numbers on the registration when entering it into the database.

The traffic cops were great - gave hubby an apology and every time we saw them after that we got a wave.

and.......... even better I got of work half an hour earlier

It doesnt work out like that for the majority though

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yes, BUT they will phone your stated insurer just to make sure before they slap you and van in irons. AND, they will give you the chance to insure it there and then, (you will get prosecuted, but they wont nick your wheels).

Of its not shown as insured and checks reveal it isn't... It will be seized... And you will have to pay a recovery and storage fee. Rarely if ever will you be allowed to continue on your way by taking out a policy

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
our's came up as "Dump Code Company Use". Should we contact our insurance company to check this out? It's definitely private use not company.

Joe

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Mine ran out last night, renewed this lunchtime.
Showing as insured and correct class (cvan UK).

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
our's came up as "Dump Code Company Use". Should we contact our insurance company to check this out? It's definitely private use not company. Joe

There was a thread on here a year or so ago about this and mine was showing the same. The popular explanation is that insurance companies upload batches of vehicles at a time and individual vehicle details are not shown on the MIB, only a "Dump Code" for each vehicle in the batch.

Edit: Mine is still a Dump: :(
The details on the MID are:
Vehicle Make/Model:DUMP CODE PRIVATE CAR GROUP 002

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Glad I read thus post. Have checked and both my vehicles are listed but I intend to keep copies of the doc with me in future.

Thanks for the heads up.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Just as important as checking your vehicle NUMBER is shown on MID is to ensure that the description is correct. A while back I checked on my Landy 110 Td5 XS and it was shown as a Land Rover 90 300Tdi commercial which if the police had checked on it they would immediately have assumed stolen vehicle /plates or fraudulent use somehow - took it up with the insurers and then it took about 5 days to get it right

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
One of my cars didn't appear on MID about a month after I insured it,I rang the insurers who,at that time told me that they put it on in batches. I said that if my vehicle was impounded I would be expecting them to pay the recovery costs. A few days later it happened and I carried out my 'threat'-profuse apologies from the insurers and eventually I was reimbursed after cancelling my policy with them and taking out a new insurer. My old one paid out and also 'something for my trouble' which I didn't ask for.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Out Moho with Comfort is showing as "company dump code" will be speaking to them later but we did only reinsure with the a few weeks ago so I may leave it a few weeks as it is still saying insured and the tax is not due yet. our other 2 vehicles are correct

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Not sure if I have posted this but apart from my original problem with an insurer on my first motorhome, I had a different problem with my second 2007 Autocruise.
For some reason I checked the VIN number on the van and noticed that the one under the windscreen was a different one to the ones under the bonnet on a plate. There was a Peugeot one and an Alko one which were identical but different from the windscreen one. After contacting the DVLA they gave me the wrong advice and they they would only believe the metal plate under the bonnet and that I should get my registration document changed to match the plate. I did this but months later after an MOT I had problems and had to get in touch with VOSA the mot people. He asked me to check the VIN number which is on the wheelarch by the drivers door under a plastic cover stamped into the chassis. To cut a long story short it turned out that this number was correct and matched the windscreen number but the metal plate under the bonnet and the AlKO plastic sticker were both wrong. I have just had both of these changed ( and my registration documents) thanks to Peugeot and ALKO so that now all numbers match. There was just one letter difference between the numbers, one was an A and the other a B. What a complicated life we lead!

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
I have a letter somewhere from MID, I contacted them after one of my motorcycles did not appear on tbe list. It states that if a vehicle is on MID it does not mean it is insured, it also says that if a vehicle is not on MID it does not mean it is not insured. What a waste of time that was, got nowhere with the broker so went elsewhere and never had a problem since.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back