Showers - are they worth the space? (2 Viewers)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A little off topic BUT wifey just got out the bath to find a series of red raised blotches on her back left shoulder blade area (PANIC). After studying for some time and having looked at the overflow it soon became clear she had rested against it twice and it has six oval holes in it so she had two sets overlapping with three bright red in each fading out on the other two sets of three :ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A shower separate from the loo is an essential. Ours runs across the rear of the van behind the head of the fixed bed. I couldn't function in the morning without a shower, and avoid site showers even if available (even the best can be pretty yucky:sicker: , though SWMBO uses them sometimes with crocs on).

The last person to shower (there are only two of us) sprays the interior with Mr Muscle Daily shower cleaner (other cleaners are available). Shower is properly cleaned weekly, works for us in the MH and at home.

If the angle of the van causes a puddle in the shower tray (only one drain) then it goes as soon as we move.
We also use the little twin tub washing machine in the shower, though not at the same time as showering :rolleyes:, and if moving all day, small amounts of washing can dry in there too

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Van without a shower = tent

I used to joke about this forum being a group of snobs in their big motorhomes...no wonder we don't get many campervan owners signing up :( Makes a change from taking the p*ss out of caravan owners because they can't park up and empty a bottle of wine in 5 minutes though, I suppose :rollingeyes:

For the record, there's no shower in my van, for obvious reasons. I use site showers. Occasionally...gasp...I don't shower for a day but have a good wash. Because at home I shower every morning, these odd occasions when I am away are irritating, but amazingly I get over it without too much psychological damage and no one has commented so far on my personal hygiene.

However, I'll make sure I pitch as far away as possible from some of the posters here. I wouldn't want to risk their health when I accidentally carry Ebola back from the site showers :rolleyes: Oh...and I'll make sure I'm down-wind too...wouldn't want any of you to panic when you realise there's no shower onboard :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We took the shower out of our Apache and fitted some much needed storage drawers units, has made all the difference as we changed from a bigger motorhome and really missed the storage space.
Having said that we have an outside shower which is fantastic on those summer warm days when staying anywhere without a shower, apart from that we use the sites bathroom facilities.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OK, a shower it is. Any idea how much water you use in such a shower? What is the minimum size tanks should be?
We use about 30-35 Lt a day in total with both of us having one shower at a guess one shower approx 12-14 Lt.
100 Lt tanks lasts us 3 days, carry 2 x 20 Lt containers in the garage which we fill when off grid.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use about 30-35 Lt a day in total with both of us having one shower at a guess one shower approx 12-14 Lt.
100 Lt tanks lasts us 3 days, carry 2 x 20 Lt containers in the garage which we fill when off grid.
We only have a 66L fresh water tank and that has to serve the loo flush too and my numerous cups of tea each day ... I'll stick to good old strip washes otherwise we'd be filling up every day!!! :eek:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a separate shower and toilet in our van and we use both daily . We prefer using our own facilities even when on site but use campsite facilities when I need to wash my long hair . In really cold weather I must confess to having missed a shower for a day or so and used wet wipes instead without any ill effects. I would consider having the shower essential especially when using Aires or wild camping .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
A shower separate from the loo is an essential. Ours runs across the rear of the van behind the head of the fixed bed. I couldn't function in the morning without a shower, and avoid site showers even if available (even the best can be pretty yucky:sicker: , though SWMBO uses them sometimes with crocs on).

The last person to shower (there are only two of us) sprays the interior with Mr Muscle Daily shower cleaner (other cleaners are available). Shower is properly cleaned weekly, works for us in the MH and at home.

If the angle of the van causes a puddle in the shower tray (only one drain) then it goes as soon as we move.
We also use the little twin tub washing machine in the shower, though not at the same time as showering :rolleyes:, and if moving all day, small amounts of washing can dry in there too

I wouldn't say that a separate shower is essential at all. It is nice to have but when space is at a premium, it is an extravagance. The op is looking for a smaller van, sub 6m if I am not mistaken.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
OK, a shower it is. Any idea how much water you use in such a shower? What is the minimum size tanks should be?
It depends on how long you plan to be wild camping etc. We have a tank with approx 70l fresh water for washing and cooking - you'll need more capacity if you are away from sites / supplies for longer. I would guess that the shower uses approx 2l per shower - we do as mentioned above, turn it on to get wet, off when lathering and on again to rinse. Our loo flush is a separate water tank. We also carry 3 x 5l bottles for extra drinking ester. Our total water capacity of around 100l lasts 4 of us approx 3 days if frugal.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm with @MinxyGirl and @Mattyjwr on this one (not literally hehe!)..... A shower is not always needed if you have good personal hygiene. We use BabyWipes when not showering, they are clean, hygienic and use NO water at all (y)

We have a combined shower/toilet space in our 6m PVC which we use whenever we want a shower. We rarely use campsites and prefer to 'wild' or use Aires. As it happens our van holds 100 litres of water and we have found that a shower uses about 5 litres (10 if washing hair too) each time so it is quite easy to plan showers around water availability.

Regarding the shower space getting wet, this is not really a problem as ours has a wrap around shower curtain which is the only thing to get wet and dries in no time. The shower tray has two drain holes at opposite ends and drains rapidly. Also we have a side window and ceiling vent that we leave open after a shower and these ventilate the bathroom area so that it is dry within 10 minutes.

I think it really depends on how you wish to use your MH. If you prefer to use campsites then you are paying for them so why not use their facilities? We don't like using campsites so we much prefer to use our own.

It is nice to have the choice, then we can decide either way (y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Well have read all these posts and have decided I am in the minority. For me a shower in the van isn't essential although my current PVC does have a 'trigger' shower fitting. My reason is as follows:
1) am a solo traveller who only holidays in the UK and 99% of the time I am on club sites with very clean spacious facilities (always wear flip flops)
2) as I am as wide as I am tall then I find the space in the shower too small. The first thing I did when getting my current van was to remove the shower curtain. There is nothing worse than a curtain that sticks to you like a limpit.
And for the record I have even used the mobile showers at the Warner shows so please don't think you have to keep your distance at a rally!!!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its a bit like having an oven really. we never use ours to cook in (carry an electric mini oven) but it makes a good cuboard,,,but in an emergency its there,,,same with the shower,,,takes no room up in our van but have used it a couple of times....BUSBY.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I've been motorhoming for years in a variety of vans. Except for our first camper van we had in 1982 we've always had onboard facilities. Although we have stayed at caravan parks when necessary (for convenience and to wash the sheets), we have never (that's not ever) used CP showers. I've twice used CP toilets. If you have onboard facilities to do otherwise means pointless walks across cold fields - otherwise known as having a dog and barking yourself.

And here's why. We shower every day and our total water usage for that and cooking is 20L. Plus laundry it's 25L. You run water into the sink, with the plug in, until you've adjusted the temperature to suit. Wet sponge in the sink water, soap down, use shower to rinse off. Place the day's clothes in the sink water and squeeze the soap off the sponge into the sink. Add some liquid laundry soap. Wring clothes for a couple of minutes. Wring out and fill sink with fresh water. Rinse clothes and hang up in shower area which is used to being damp.

You are fully independent of CPs for washing and laundry if you have a shower. Without one you do not have a motorhome, you have a CP dependent campervan. Would you want a van with no leisure battery, needing a hookup every night? Same thing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Essential for us, wouldn't have a van without one. Our current one has a shower and separate toilet/washroom which for us is the ideal arrangement.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have a 100ltr fresh tank and use about 20 - 25 ltrs a day.. It is always easy to find water for showering. We buy the square sided 5 or 10 ltr drinking water bottles,
which stand in a plastic "trug" in the shower (when its not being used).
I have some "puritabs" which I add to the fresh water tank about every 3rd fill, so we can drink that as well.
Didn't mean too upset anyone by saying "a shower is the only way for us" !! Each to their own, but we just "Feel" so nice after a shower... :D Mitch..

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Well, after all this discussion on showering in the motorhome I would like to point out that we both shower regularly and our simple answer to this problem .......

We just ensure we are at home for our birthdays each year when we can both take showers whether needed or not!
:rolleyes::whistle:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Shower must be separate and not combined with the loo and basin. We both use it all the time, 5 minutes to wipe it round after use.
Why "must"?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Why "must"?

We have no problem without a separate shower cabinet. We are not at work so in no hurry. Probably takes 5 to 10 mins to wipe down and dry toilet room.One thing,,,toilet nooks and crannies always clean..BUSBY.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Having used both separate and combined showers myself I have found that combined washrooms seem to offer more space for toilet or shower use. Depends on the van I suppose. I always thought the dropdown sink was an excellent space solution and it's a pity that they've largely disappeared. To be fair I've never had to clean up the shower thanks to my wife's insistence on taking responsibility for all internal matters. I take responsibility for all external stuff and my wife is quite happy never to have to empty the cassette.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
To be fair I've never had to clean up the shower thanks to my wife's insistence on taking responsibility for all internal matters. I take responsibility for all external stuff and my wife is quite happy never to have to empty the cassette.

Funny how that happens. But I have seen one lady empty the cassette – all over her foot!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have no problem without a separate shower cabinet. We are not at work so in no hurry. Probably takes 5 to 10 mins to wipe down and dry toilet room.One thing,,,toilet nooks and crannies always clean..BUSBY.

We don't have a separate shower either so I don't get why it is a "must". We are often in a hurry but it is not an issue.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a shower but normally just soap up rinse off clean the important bits
bill

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I used to joke about this forum being a group of snobs in their big motorhomes...no wonder we don't get many campervan owners signing up :( Makes a change from taking the p*ss out of caravan owners because they can't park up and empty a bottle of wine in 5 minutes though, I suppose :rollingeyes:

For the record, there's no shower in my van, for obvious reasons. I use site showers. Occasionally...gasp...I don't shower for a day but have a good wash. Because at home I shower every morning, these odd occasions when I am away are irritating, but amazingly I get over it without too much psychological damage and no one has commented so far on my personal hygiene.

However, I'll make sure I pitch as far away as possible from some of the posters here. I wouldn't want to risk their health when I accidentally carry Ebola back from the site showers :rolleyes: Oh...and I'll make sure I'm down-wind too...wouldn't want any of you to panic when you realise there's no shower onboard :LOL:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
It was meant to be funny I presume or have I wandered into Facts.

Met a few Funsters but no snobs and for the record I do loads of camping with my motorbike n tent.Also washed with a pint of water and baby wipes many a time on my trips.
Cant neck a bottle of wine in 5 minutes takes me at least 15 so guess I'm a lightweight.
:doh::doh::doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back