Shower valve change gone wrong... (1 Viewer)

Lostasusual

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker fb
Exp
On and off for many years
Has anyone advice on successfully stripping down the shower control on an Autotrail Tracker?
In a mad locked down moment of DIY enthusiasm, I decided to change out the (always leaked a bit) valve on my Tracker FB. Found and watched a YouTube clip that seemed to have the same tap as mine, then got stuck into taking the old valve out. Easy! Except the tap was screwed so tight, the nut proved a pig to undo. I did it though. Took out the old valve, put in the new replacement and with help of some Vaseline, replaced the nut and tightened gently. Job done! Turned on the water supply and... began to weep. Me, not the tap.
If you judge the job on the fact that water no longer leaked from the tap - I was a resounding success as a plumber. Unfortunately, water actually no longer ran from the shower head either. It sort of dripped a bit. So, in reality, it was a miserable fail of a job.
I think I may have possibly kinked the Hot & Cold feed pipes when I first did battle with unscrewing the tap. Looks like I might need to access them - but before I try wrenching the panel off the wall - has anyone done this job before? How did you go about easing the panel off and exactly what will I find behind?
I’m not keen to concede defeat and just take it to a dealer quite yet... Thought I’d ask my fellow funsters first...

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Did u try the tap before u fitted it?
All u have done is disconnect some pipes so unless these got twisted with the nut u undid what else has changed.
Dont know the make and model but could u just position the pipe outlets so as not to flood the wall or van and put the pump on to check flow before refitting?
A couple of photos always helps.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Does it need bleeding?Would be my guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Does the system need bleed?
If you put the old one back on does it work?
If so, it'll be the new tap. If not, as you suspect the issue may be deeper seated. Worth a try just to eliminate the possibility of the tap.

OP
OP
Lostasusual

Lostasusual

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker fb
Exp
On and off for many years
Thanks for replies.. ?
I changed the valve, not the whole tap. You’re right, pics might well help. So here’s a couple. My clue to having maybe twisted the pipes came when I removed the valve completely and turned the pump back on. Expecting to be soaked, I even toyed with putting on my waterproofs. Not a lot of water flowed from the now exposed valve mounting.
Anyway, I’ve just had a go at “un”twisting the whole mounting a half turn and water has flowed sufficiently to make the shower usable again. However, I’m still a tad nervous that my ‘twisting’ may have a detrimental impact on the pipe work behind the panel. So, inevitably, I may need to get at the pipes eventually either because they fail and begin to leak Or my management gives me ‘the look’ when she next tries to use the ‘almost working OK, non leaking’ shower. So it’s still the same question... is there anyone out there who’s taken the panel off to get at the pipes successfully can give me some “do’s and don’t” advice? Thanks.
B6486B72-B754-4A51-9F2E-6161D2B2B7C7.jpeg
7EA3CACF-BCEC-474A-A9E0-38BB340A0D94.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back