Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
our Hymer shower has suddenly stopped flowing mid shower

I can hear what I presume to be the micro switch clicking, all other taps work so can’t be the pump

We can get round by turning on toilet sink tap to minimum that then runs pump through shower tap if opened

The tap is attached to a glass panel that is a mare to get off to get at the light, I think the plumbing is fixed back to the wall o_O dread to think where wires run to

As I can here the seitch clicking that would seem to be OK and odd that it stopped mid use, as pump runs it presumably can’t be a fuse

Anybody got an easy fix solution or we will continue on get round fix (y) just wastes a little water

5DCCFDB0-1713-40F5-80E5-667014CC19AC.jpeg

22FE6D74-A05A-4C0D-B7B9-6689AFC3DBDD.jpeg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sounds like it's a micro-switch system. Every tap has a switch to ask the pump to run when it's turned on. The switch or its mechanism in the shower tap has failed. You may be able to get a new switch, else whole tap unit.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sounds like it's a micro-switch system. Every tap has a switch to ask the pump to run when it's turned on. The switch or its mechanism in the shower tap has failed. You may be able to get a new switch, else whole tap unit.

Many thanks for that

That is my current thinking I was just confused as I hear what I presume to be the switch clicking as I open and close the tap.

Not really sure what I would look for but presume there must be wires back to the pump that might be to blame

Could a wire break? Seems unlikely but what do I know o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Anything is possible but start with the most likely. The switch is operated every time the tap is turned. The wires behind are unlikely to have moved (unless the shower control is loose).
Your challenge may be to remove the tap. At least it's not the kitchen tap (but that would probably be more accessible). Your fix will get you by, else use the shower block.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Many thanks for that

That is my current thinking I was just confused as I hear what I presume to be the switch clicking as I open and close the tap.

Not really sure what I would look for but presume there must be wires back to the pump that might be to blame

Can you get to the micro switch David, if you can it’s just a simple matter of putting a multi meter on it to check if it has failed.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Usually with a tap like that there's an access panel the other side in the hab.

When our older Hymer's shower stopped working I traced it to the Microswitch after some good advice from the forum, sourced a switch off eBay for about a fiver.

Hymie.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd expect the switch to be in the body of the tap, and that you can get to it without going behind.
See if you can remove the handle. It may require removing the pipe first.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You should find a screw holding the tap handle on either in the end or underneath, once the handle is off you should find the micro switch, I say should because its a Hymer:LOL: actually surprised its micro switched and not pressure but certainly sounds like micro switch.

Martin

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Many thanks for that

Yes, yes yes! Happened to me three times in as many months in the Burstner.
I’ll bet it’s the same as your problem as you describe it the same.
There will be 2 wires running from the micro switch through the tap body and connecting to the pump eventually. Usually a connection just below the tap for when you change tap etc. Where the mechanism moves ( tilts back and forth) it will slowly stretch and wear the very thin wire, until one of them breaks.

You can either replace the switch, or repair the wire. The switch is likely to be a Reich and available for about a tenner. But, that means removing the whole tap assembly, replacing the switch ( all simple) but then having to thread the trailing wires back through the tap to where they connect to the rest of the wire leading to the pump which is a bugger of a job as they don’t leave any room, which is kinda why the wire breaks in time.....

Best option, assuming the switch is ok, is to take the operating mechanism of the tap ( on off lever) apart and get down to the part where you can see the switch and the wires from it disappearing into the body of the tap. That’s where mine broke. Then it’s a case of pulling ( gently!) a bit of extra wire through, and soldering it.
Problem solved............and I’ll bet that’s your problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should find a screw holding the tap handle on either in the end or underneath, once the handle is off you should find the micro switch, I say should because its a Hymer:LOL: actually surprised its micro switched and not pressure but certainly sounds like micro switch.

Martin
All Hymers have a submersible pump switched by tap micro switches.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You have already found the work around David, turning another tap on.

Common problem with Reich taps, most of the time it is not the micro switch but as @BreweryDave says one of the switch wires gets trapped by the swivelling movent of the tap and breaks. Easy repair if you are a dab hand with a small soldering iron normally enough spare wire to pull through to make a repair. I've done it and insulated the joint with 1mm silicon sleeving.

To prevent any problems with the micro switches in all my vans I've alway fitted a relay in series with the pump to take the load of the switches.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I now feel like a technician in the making, prised off a chrome plastic plug / cover and revealed a screw head which I think has been turned before

Now faced with this though so TBH not really further forward

6AD9D0A4-3A54-4E99-8B19-3CD0813FDCD5.jpeg

What I have done press the top of what I presume to be the pressure switch, that clicks but didn’t soak me with water so I guess it confirms the switch is duff

Not really sure where I would put multimeter tips to check anything volts wise

Edit - I posted before seeing Daves post, @BreweryDave was your break in the bits in my photo or further into the tap?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Are you sure the wires are intact? ( can’t see clearly) you may need to delve further and trace those wires back

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Photos aren’t the best but does the micro switch (presuming that is the thing I am looking ato_O) just prise our or it it glued?

I am thinking I might just stop where I am put it back together and use our get round (y)

591B8BA7-32B3-441D-85EA-18869A215E67.jpeg

C382EB4E-64A4-46A1-A3DF-49B31DEF0468.jpeg

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Mine just clipped into place, but was a different design to yours.
However, the insides look the same. I espect the black and brown wires are very tight where they disappear through the plastic thing?
Once you remove the next outer silver plastic deco bit, there are 3 long screws through tat white plastic part which allows deeper access. If it’s the same as mine was, you’ll need to get that other silver bit off to get access to the screws. It should just pull.........
But you’ll need to remove the switch from its housing to thread it through the sleeve as it comes off

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
David, you say that the shower stops in mid use. Could it be that there is some debris in the pipe that drops back to allow the flow of water, then after a while the debris floats back up to the mixer mechanism and stops the flow. Looking at the pics, there might be a (plastic) cap on the rh end of the lever (showing blue/red). If so, this might prise off to reveal a screw which would enable the lever to be removed to reveal the mixer behind. A short/stubby screw driver will be needed due to the limited space.
David.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well I now know it just prises out, all hard wired into switch though nothing obvious to test, getting tap apart looks nearly impossible without removing from glass panel don’t want to go that far

6F162C32-5128-411C-9B9D-067EB4C35F84.jpeg

E59A684F-8AC3-4DE9-809A-A52E0B02D206.jpeg

456801D5-FB21-4ED9-BA51-AD16530E61DA.jpeg

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Was really hoping you’d find a break in the wiring you’ve just exposed, well done by the way!!!

So, it’s either a break in the wire further back, a faulty switch, or a blockage I guess!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, you say that the shower stops in mid use. Could it be that there is some debris in the pipe that drops back to allow the flow of water, then after a while the debris floats back up to the mixer mechanism and stops the flow. Looking at the pics, there might be a (plastic) cap on the rh end of the lever (showing blue/red). If so, this might prise off to reveal a screw which would enable the lever to be removed to reveal the mixer behind. A short/stubby screw driver will be needed due to the limited space.
David.

You are certainly right about lack of space I have various screwdrivers have got inside first bit but can’t now get rest apart, but think I can rule out debris as pump doesn’t run when tap turned on

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
David, can you not get those wires out of the micro switch, it’s just a matter of shorting them out then, just don’t let the wires touch metal.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Well, I’m stuck now. Unless you can get that next outer silver piece off easily, cant go much further. However, at some point you will have to, but maybe not today eh!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back